35cm dish indoors

Getting good results from the Chinese 35cm dish. A bit pricey, but real easy to align.

1 Like

I wonder if anyone has tried to rig the LNB with an old Dish or DirectTV dish? Ken

I like this idea just adding it to the sat TV dish…

Good work. I was thinking about making a simple block of wood to fit into the unusual Direct TV LNB holder that had a clamp to attach the Othernet LNB to. Ken

I bet if someone with a 3D printer could come up with something of the same dimensions and then an LNB clamp where the Directv LNB is positioned…could slide right back on to the arm. And of course it could be made of wood also…

You dont need anything special unless you want it to look original. All you need is one of those universal lnb brackets.

And an old direct tv dish (from early 2000s) is what I’m using right now. I was using a dish network superdish but that was repurposed for fta tv.

4 Likes

Where did you get that 35cm dish?. That would be perfect for me to use that dish on my roof. I could use an old Directv dish but I like that ring mount. Very nice setup you have there.

eBay. Don’t have a heart attack when you see the shipping…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ku-Band-13-78-inch-35CM-dish-antenna-satellite-dish-offset-focus-antenna/143000706744?hash=item214b819eb8:g:KDMAAOSw0hRZdAdg

It arrived in a week…

Your right about a heart attack!. Geeez, that’s a tad expensive. Time to think of something else but I have all winter to do that. Very cold and snowy here in Minneapolis

Considering the 90cm are a whole lot more and then there is working out how you want to temporary or permanently mount it, I figured the total cost was still cheaper than figuring out the 90cm. Plus the 35cm is so much easier to work with. Yes, tripod and a DIY mount for the LNB would have been cheaper. But, as I get older I tend to go the route of less hassle.

Maybe you will come across something that suites you if you have the winter to figure it out. The odds are in your favor. :slight_smile:

What do you all think is a fair price for a 35cm dish?

The price+shipping for this 35cm was $68. The $49 shipping is a horror up against the price of the dish being $19. It did ship fast from China, but I would have accepted the slow boat to stick with the $19 price. If you compare a 90cm and a tripod, which was what I was looking at, the $68 is cheap. The 35cm is more portable and setup is super fast (no field assemble/disassemble)…

I’d say anything south of $68 shipped is good, the lower the better.

Right now I am going to use a 90cm dish since SES2 also carries Louisiana Public TV and I have a receiver for it. I can get a two output universal LNB to feed the DC 3.05 and my FTA receiver for LPB. I have trees in the way but the leaves are gone so line of sight is no problem. When spring rolls around then SES 2 will be blocked thus no Othernet and tv, I want the dish on the roof to receive Outhernet reliably. Hauling a 90cm dish and nprm mount to the roof won’t be happening. A 35cm dish with a ring mount would be no problem. I will try different locations but will have to point the 90cm dish to AMC-21 for PBS.

I still think @demandzm motified Dish TV antenna is a great solution. You should be able to find them in junk heaps or on old abandoned homes.

1 Like

What size is that old dish?

1 Like

Its 20 inches (50.8 cm) tall by 18 1/2 (46.99 cm) wide. I believe that makes it equivalent to a 49 cm round dish, sort of.:wink:

1 Like

@n5rv What was your opinion of assembling that small dish?

If you look on Aliexpress or Ebay you can find multi LNB Mounting brackets for about 12 dollars. Ordering from Aliexpress will take about 2 to 3 weeks to ship.

Here is an interesting article on a $15 satellite ground station steerable array antenna
for 10.7 to 14.5GHz

https://twitter.com/greg_wyler/status/1081989389453066240/photo/1