A Ku band sdr device

@ac8dg
I downloaded all the US satellites and transponders into a USB dongle and loaded that into my Freesat V8 Satfinder.

I was asking about the F-connector on the LNB. It points down when mounted on a dish, right?

So the splitter that I’m using has a RF-DC power pass-thru on one side and RF with a DC block on the other. With this setup, I should be able to tune the TV tuner to a vertical or horizontal channel and receive the entire down converted block. The DC blocked side keeps from applying the 13 or 18 volts to the input of my SDR dongle.

@donde
I’m going to have to mount a cheapie volt meter on my F-connector Bias Tee :wink:

Watching my satfinder as it is searching, some of the loaded transponders are H, some V, and the Freesat 13/18v led changes green or red. The base frequency seems similar example 11836 H 20765, then 11836 V 20768. It appears this means I am getting “valid” - but different channels just by changing polariztion. From my qth the skew is negligible. Hence the near vertical orientation of the lnb. By the way, I don’t know what the second number for each transponder is … some articles say “SR” or lines/sec. some bandwidth.

I manually typed in the TP’s since I couldn’t find the downloadable table, so I expect some errors. - used Satbeams - World Of Satellites at your fingertips - charts tab

I guess the lesson is: search twice - with the different orientations/polarization’s.

I downloaded this Freesat V8 Finder NA Sat List

Are you looking at Galaxy 17 ?

–Konrad, WA4OSH

Thanks, got the user db,
I have a good signal on W 97.00 Galaxy 19. Only change was to match LO freq
to the MK-1 10750.

Many dvb on transponder 11842 H
So if do the math 11842 - 10750 = 1,092 Mhz and up on the rtl-sdr ?

or since I am injecting 21v, the Vertical TP’s should be better
at 12146 and 12177GHz which is getting close to upper limit of 12.2GHz

1 Like

Konrad
The meter you see is a Buck Converter from DROK. I was worried about 21 volts hitting the MK1 instead 18, I ordered one. It takes up 4 volts up to 32 volts in and adjusts output from 1.5 to 30 volts. So, I set it to 18 for horizontal and 13 for vertical. Very easy to do surgery on the PS.

1 Like

Maybe too late, but the new DC 3.01 is featuring an LNBF without a dish. Thus, the satellite will be broad and could be mistaken as the wrong satellite on wrong frequency or transponder, or one could be set for Vertical when should be Horizontal. I was thinking of some kind of ID, like an audible test tone that could be received on a RTL-SDR dongle. This would be useful before one receives the new board. If not feasible, I don’t mind being told so.

In another e-mail, @Syed mentioned that there would be a flashing LED to indicate if the SCPC signal is received.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

Yes, that’s true. There is a packet-received LED.

1 Like

@Syed,
Do you know if a satellite finder with an analog scale and beeper will work on the DC-3.0? I may need to mount the LNB away from where my DC-3.0 card will be.

Capture

–Konrad, WA4OSH

I’m not sure. As there is some DC that would be going through the finder, it should work. But we have not tested this.

Will the LED only flash when it sees the signature packet of the Outernet or any packet?

@Syed,
These SatFinders are powered by the DC bias to the LNB and detect the signal level of the down-converted signal. The problem is that this device does not identify the satellite(s) it sees, only reports a signal level.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

I meant the SCPC LED on the board that Syed mentioned. Does it flash if it receives an “Outernet packet” only?

considering the fact that DC-3 will have touch LCD all you need is a USB powerbank and temporary get closer with it to the LNB. that might the easiest way to tune in without any other gear.

Possibly. We don’t know the power requirements at 5V. 2.1A, 3A, or 5A?

–Konrad, WA4OSH

That type of ‘satellite finder’ is not very good. I bought one for 4 euros to lend to people who ask to borrow my expensive meter which I don’t lend out … If the satellite has a lot of TV transponders on it, it may help - but it does not indicate what satellite you are looking at so without a conventional satellite receiver AND Free to air channels on the target satellite you are working in the dark.

1 Like