All set up, pointed but no signal....?

@unixpunk makes a good point about using the correct image. If that is confirmed, then it must be a defective unit.

I would try a different power supply because I tried a PSP charger with my DIY kit and the charger was really noisy. After swapping it out for a different power supply I had laying around my SNR went from ~1.8 to over 6 db.

Never mind, I thought it was a charger. A battery bank shouldn’t create interference.

Interesting.
If you want to try a different antenna with little extra effort, I managed to make a helical out of “junk” I had lying around, which worked really well ( MUCH more directional that the patch antenna!)

There is a design for a “paper helical” on the site here, that is easy to build and (apparently) works well
https://forums.outernet.is/t/more-helical-madness/2958

Helical antennas LOOK complicated, but are actually super simple and work well ( as long as the turns go in the correct direction for the application!)

1 Like

@hookalaya Have you had any luck yet?

Hi Syed, no Mate I can’t get any more than 1.9 signal strength, I’m almost certain it’s the antenna

bugger!

Hello I was thinking bout tryin to fix this passive antenna myself but before I do if I was to break it (even though it’s not working as it is) can I re-order a another antenna on its own .??

Hey mate, thanks for the info about the paper antenna looks pretty easy to accomplish I mite have to give it a bash… also do you know if Outernet let you purchase a antenna for the dreamcatcher on its own .? As I’m thinking about trying to repair this passive antenna but if I was to stuff it up somehow obviously it would void any warranty it has but it takes ages for delivery to west Australia and hopefully they are not to expensive to replace .?

A passive antenna should be able to be checked with a multimeter. I dont have a ceramic antenna so i cant be sure, but the center pin of the SMA should be connected to the front plate of the patch, and the ground plane should be connected to the outside of the SMA. Someone will likely verify that information. There really isnt anything to repair unless there is a broken connection. This still reminds me of the time i forgot to select the correct satellite after a reflash. I had snr peaks of nearly 3db before plummeting into the negatives. You are sure you selected the correct satellite and clicked apply, you wouldnt be the first person.:grin:

Yes I’ve checked and re-checked re-flashed Sd card even re-downloaded the passive Sd card image if squeeze the sma connector on ant it makes the signal double in strength but when you let go signal dies and I’m worried if I push to hard it’s going to snap it off the antenna

Well it does seem like you have a connection problem. Hopefully Syed will be able to answer you soon.

if you have a SMA coaxial cable extender you might give it a try (around 50…100cm might do) to place the antenna a bit away from the Dreamcatcher board.

Also making a classic helical antenna is pretty easy, you just need to strip a copper wire and have a appropiate diameter of spray can (I’ve used that) Calculator here: Antenas - Helix - Javascript on-line calculator

Last which RF port are you using? (I assume it was in the manual, just to be sure)

Hi Zoltan,
To start with I had the board and antenna mounted on two seperate stands and it was no different
It’s a passive antenna so it’s connected to the top RF input
Syed is sending me a new active antenna so soon my worries will be over … yey can’t wait!

Thanks Syed all good now :slight_smile:

2 Likes