Alpha Lantern L Band Traffic

Alpha Lantern L-Band Content

Not wanting to be left out by other posters’ companions - Daisy and Samsung, I posted a picture of my cat, Bella :grinning: as a test file using the Filecast System hopefully giving her international fame.

Filecast works well - - time between upload to Filecast and delivery over I-4 F3 Americas was 7 hours.

On a more serious note, we have all been heavily engaged in the technical issues of the DIY receivers or the new Alpha Lantern, but don’t seem to be spending enough time considering content.

With the 100 kB file limit imposed on Filecast, it is hard to find material that will fit into 100 kB. Considering, for example, the public domain documents offered by the US Center for Disease Control (CDC) and WikiNews, they produce megabit size files.

That said, we need to start exploring ways to package useful content in small packages for transmission on Outernet’s L-Band system. I am working on some ideas which I will test post soon for your review. Ken

Daisy says hello to Bella :wink:

I haven’t seen anything come through Filecaster. When did you upload it?

They did download this week, and were all less than 100 kB. They were short (2 to 3 pages with 1 or 2 images) Voice of American (VOA) news articles that I reworked in a word processor (WordPerfect) then exported as compressed PDFs with WordPerfect. I presumed VOA content is Public Domain since it is a US Government Agency. Ken

Correct: VOA content is public domain.

So far I am getting intermittent weak signals. I am not aware if I can use the dish with a L-band allenby (assuming it is available with you) for a stronger signal from either of the satelites covering my region.

You have an amplifier, correct? Can you show the SNR level you are receiving?

occasionally 1.5 but mostly 0-0.5. I was able to down load a few files the day I assembled DIY kit. Eversince I am living with hope only.

Do you have a USB extension cable? I’d like to see if moving the CHIP away from the SDR provides any benefit for you.

Yes I tried the kit with and without the extension

I found that most of the noise was coupled to the SDR from the CHIP ON the USB cable. Most of my problems went away when I added an RF ferrite choke to the USB extension between the two, 3-4 turns on the choke.

-Cecil