APRS OUTNET on OUTERNET

It could be that no other messages have been posted with the OUTNET tag, so yours are still the most recent.

Syed would you like me to try another day of APRS test messages.

I sent eight messages the other day on APRSdroid using the internet I gate. They all got to OUTNET and came down on my L-Band Outernet feed.

Let me know if you want more test messages.

No other tests are necessary right now. Though it would be useful to have a sort of how-to video so that newbie hams could send messages without the internet. Is there pretty much global terrestrial coverage for APRS?

This could be quite hard. There are so many different RF based APRS setups that it would be hard to cover all the possibilities. For example, some users have a Kenwood radio with APRS facilities built in and so would assemble a message in a sort of cellphone text style using their mic’s keypad whilst others would use a keyboard interface plugged into the radio. Still others would use a PC application with messaging abilities. The combinations are quite large.

What is the absolute cheapest way to do so – air interface, I mean (as opposed to over the wire).

From memory The cheapest way to send a APRS might be.

Satellite that goes overhead has a APRS digi-peater that can receive a form of “DTMF” codes.

These “DTMF” can possibly be preprogrammed into the radio as a type of memory location.

As the DTMF receiving APRS satellite passes overhead the user activates the memory and the APRS mewssage gets sent up as a DTMF.

QIKCOM-2 - The first APRS TouchTone Satellite

At anytime he can send this memory on 146.58 from memory with one button push with these results:

1. The APRStt Frequency Announcer speaks “WB4APR listening 146.94”
  2. The APRStt engine also sends out an APRS packet on APRS saying: . WB4APR>APRStt:!DDMM.mmN/DDDMM.mmWA146.940MHz listening APRStt
  3. The packet is digipeated locally and worldwide via the APRS-IS system.

Is it more convenient to send packets over the terrestrial APRS network?

Depends upon what you already own. I would say that one of those cheap Chinese VHF HT’s and your Android phone. Simpy plug in a cable between the radio and the phone. The phone will do all the softmodem stuff. If you configure the software correctly you can send to and from the RF network exclusively.

Understand that just because you can hear data traffic on your local APRS channel you may not be within range of an Igate. I suspect that this is the root cause of most messaging failures. Further, the Igate operator may only gate position reports.

The cheapest Baofeng I own cost $19. It is the 666 model, UHF only. 16 channels. It can be programmed to the appropriate frequencies for transmitting into a I-Gate.

The APRS feed system has been upgraded and now the feeds have a latency of about 5 minutes, compared to the previous 1 Hour.

Please report APRS-related problems in this thread.

Remember to use “OUTNET” in your path!

“oh no @Abhishek I wasn’t expecting you to build in a viewer… You are a busy fella anyway!!”

The APRS data is APRS Messages.

As long as the Incoming APRS messages are stored somewhere on the Outernet Librarian software then a program like YAAC (Yet Another APRS Client) can find the messages and do its display, sorting, and what ever magic with them.

There is no need for Outernet to do any more than have the messages stored some-where.

I suggest you try setting up YAAC and have a bit of fun playing with it. It really is an amazing program.

The main new feature of Outernet is that any messages sent up to the APRS digi-peating satellites (ISS, PSAT, BRICsat) will now be echoed back to Outernet user’s in 5 minutes instead of a hour.

So if I am a ham radio operator on a remote island.I wait for a digi-peating satellite to come over. I send up a 1200 Baud APRS Packet to the satellite. It receives it and when it passes a ground station, sends it down to earth. Outernet then sends a copy of that message approximately five minutes later down on its Inmarsat L-Band feed confirming the message got into the APRS system.

A Licensed ham radio operator can send a APRS message with the HEADER = OUTNET and the message will FIVE minutes later be sent over the OUTERNET APRS Satellite feed for the whole world of Outernet users to see.

This is amazing and in EMERGENCIES WILL SAVE LIVES.

Well done Outernet.

Thanks @Seasalt - I have not used Packet since the 1990’s, so the current APRS stuff is a but of a mystery to me… Digging into it now :wink: .
I was assuming that I need to import the files into a program like YAAC but, in fact, one needs to actually set up a “port” for it. This is fine ( 10.0.0.1 on port 80 or 21) - It may work with the old “Librarian” except that with the Skylark beta ()which i have flashed to, there is no public FTP ( you need a username & password) so I can’t get it to connect, as there is no way I can put in the username & password in YAAC . (can I disable that @Abhishek - or is that a something that would need to be in a new build?)

@Seasalt I have have asked the developer for (and received) a password to “transmit” via TCP/ip port on YAAC but I am not sure how to parse a message that will end up on Outernet.
The best I have found is:
“The word OUTNET must appear somewhere in the packet (for now)
Please add an “O” overlay to your symbol
Please use the TOCALL (ALTNET) of APOUT”
from APRS OUTNET Concept

I also can, and have, transmitted APRS messages via HF using the pskmail network - I have ended up on the maps OK, so I know that the messages are getting somewhere, but not being passed onto outernet … i will keep playing :slight_smile:

sorry, right now there is no anon ftp access. that will come.

I have also promised the YACC author a better way to access the files. I have an api implemented where you can just wget/curl a given url over http - no login required. same for getting tuner data for logging purposes. That will make the APRS data access trivial for all APRS apps - it will also combine all the 5-minute files so the app doesn’t have to do it internally.

Next release.

1 Like

YAY!! I managed to get an APRS message to Outernet :slight_smile:

Quote" M0KNC>APRS,TCPIP*,qAC,T2ITALY1::APRS :OUTNET test{M0001"

Now all I have to do is remember which of the zillions of ways I tested was the one that worked LOL!

1 Like

Even bigger “yay” *I manager to get a message to OUTNET via HF Radio :slight_smile:

M0KNC>PSKAPR,TCPIP*,qAS,OE5RTL:!5101.00N/00119.00Wy000/000/:APRS :jpskmail 1.8.7 test 10.148Mhz OUTNET

it went from Winchester, UK to the wilds of Austria in 10.148 Mhz using pskmail, then OE5RTL sent it through the TCP/ip :slight_smile:

not sure what I did with the APRS signal to the OUTNET, but for some reason it seems to be reverberating - I am not sure if people are trying to call me back via the ISS but my callsign seems to be splattered in the path of all the sorts of things now…
I am no expert in APRS by a long stretch, but none of it seems to be directed to me and the OUTERNET is delivering the occasional 5 or 6k file of APRS data … (which I can’t connect to YAAC as I am using Skylark)
None of it is coming back to me via the TCP/ip link I have though.
Weird…

At least I know I can “ping” OUTNET from HF

It looks like you have a misconfigured i-gate. I suggest you disconnect from the APRS-IS until you get it figured out.
The APRS OUTNET feed at the moment contains nothing but stuff your system has re-encapsulated.

RS0ISS>DJ4AK,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>DJ4AK,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>DJ4AK,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>DJ4AK,qAS,DL5MAM:iw2dmo
RS0ISS>CQ,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>CQ,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>CQ,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>CQ,qAR,G7HCE-6:>ARISS - International Space Station
RS0ISS>CQ,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>CQ,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>CQ,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>CQ,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>CQ,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>CQ,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>CQ,qAR,F4GUK-1:>ARISS - International Space Station
RS0ISS>CQ,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>CQ,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>CQ,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>CQ,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>CQ,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>CQ,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>CQ,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>CQ,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>CQ,qAO,M0KNC:RS0ISS>CQ,TCPIP*,qAS,PA3GUO:>ARISS - 

I haven’t looked at it in detail, but it appears that your machine is re-encapsulating every packet it receives and puts it back on the APRS-IS.

I have disconnected from the APRS_IS but I checked the I was NOT resending stuff…
certainly it was sending my original packets a number of times, but that seems to be normal behaviour, but it wasn’t sending stuff that I received, that is for sure…
Like I said , wierd :slight_smile:

Well done Neil. Your enthusiasm is catching.

My Outernet is down whilst my roof antenna is being replaced but soon I hope to send a APRS over satellite via VHF 145.825 and also Over HF.

Can you answer me one question. Does the 145.825 Mhz APRS satellite digi-peater store and forward to the next sat gate or does it just spit the message straight back to earth and hope that a earth sat gate receives the aprs message.

None of the APRS Satellites are store and forward. They merely digipeat the packets they receive. In theory, there should be at least one ground station receiving the packets. However; more ground stations are needed. Outside of the US, Europe and Japan, there are very few APRS satellite ground stations.

FYI, at the moment, the ISS is not on 145.825. They had a radio failure, and had to switch the the UHF alternate radio on 437.550 MHz. The UHF signal is trickier to use because the doppler shift is much greater than on VHF.