APRS Txt - HTML What is coming down

I had a look at the new Library data format of Amatuer Radio APRS data.

Could you please explain what information is coming down every hour and how we can get involved and send messages through APRS and then broadcast over Outernet?

(M0OLI) more info as it happens here APRS OUTNET Concept

Project ongoing and maybe subject to change.

So far APRS paths to ARISS and OUTNET are being parsed to outernet for downlink.

Possibly a messaging and mapping function in the pipeline. Either via the UI and also possibly via raw data that can be caught/pulled into xastir or similar.

Raw data can be transformed with use of outernetinabox Virtual Machine.

OUTERNET>APRS:>OUTERNET file created Sat Oct 8 03:00:21 UTC 2016 IZ7XIQ>TQQV14,RS0ISS*,qAR,SQ5MJA:’,6(l U]saluti carlo= KC5ILO-5>S3SU6U,RS0ISS*,qAR,K5UBQ:{[vl!iv/]"5?} AE5NW-2>APRS,RS0ISS*,qAR,K5UBQ:=3505.82N/09227.70W2 Ahoy! Ahoy! de AE5NW / EM35sc {UISS53} W4TBD-6>CQ,RS0ISS*,SGATE,WIDE2-1,qAR,K5UBQ:=3726.76N/07741.08W-73 Via ISS [email protected] FM17dk WLNK-1 K5WH-3>WALTER,RS0ISS*,qAR,K5UBQ:=2958.08N/09534.90WWALTER, HOUSTON, TX. K5UBQ>CQ,RS0ISS*,qAR,KD8THX-6:=3205.69N/09820.62W-73’ Via Satellite {UISS54} AE5NW-2>APRS,RS0ISS*,qAR,KD8THX-

Is there software or a conversion program that will decode these one line APRS messages.

My understanding is this Outernet listing is the APRS messages, sent up on 145.825Mhz VHF by Radio Amateurs to the International Space station and also possibly the APRS messages sent up to Amateurs Radio enthusiasts satellites. (AMSATS).

That would be really groovy. I think APRS with a Outernet Satellite down-feed will add enormously to APRS popularity and use.

Yes, Andrew Pavlin has added outernet support to his YAAC program (thanks Andrew) YAAC - Yet Another APRS Client

In Ubuntu I have installed the Java Version of YAAC, and kind of have it showing maps and some local APRS stations, but I am unable to work out how to interface it into the Outernet data feed.

Hi,

Since you would be the first with a receiver and a YAAC installation you have become the test subject!!

In YAAC goto FILE>CONFIGURE>EXPERT MODE>ADD PORT

In top drop down you will see an OUTERNET option.

Enter the IP address of your outernet device…the rest is upto you!!

Please feedback on how it went.

thanks

M0OLI

Thanks, any bugs please report. Enjoy

I am not getting any Outernet APRS messages displayed on map

Same here. Nothing shows up… :frowning: I’ve got to have something wrong in the configuration…but not sure what! I’m running the RPi3 RxOS over wifi, so using 10.0.0.1:80 as the port. Is that the wrong port?

thanks,
ben

I’m also getting a Java error message:

thanks much,
ben, KD5BYB

So I did absolutely nothing and now it is working? Weird… Note that I’m pointing YAAC to 10.0.0.1:21 which is the FTP port…not the 80 WWW port…

thanks much,
ben, kd5byb

I am happily up and running too. I just changed port number to ftp number.

And now I’m back to not working again. YAAC seems to forget my callsign every time I shut it down…making me have to configure it all over again. Very annoying. Can’t seem to find anything online about YAAC doing this…

thanks much,
ben

So we are ok with APRS over Outernet? Thumbs up?

1 Like

Nope. After it working once…it stopped…and I haven’t been able to get it working again. I’ve now installed it on three different computers…and can’t get it working…

That error message I’m getting suggests to me that YAAC is trying to load something from the outside world…and it can’t…because the laptop is connected to Outernet only and not the outside world…

thanks,
ben

I just restarted YAAC and it seems to be fine. It has now found a later version of messages.

Is your computer hooked up just to the Outernet? Or does it have both a connection to Outernet (say, via wireless) and then an ethernet connection (say, via a LAN adapter)?

I’m still getting:

Interestingly…I went to http://www1.findu.com/en/cgi-bin/outernetcgi?size=5000...from my internet connected machine and I get a 404 error. Strangely…drop the “en” and you get an Outernet-received APRS file:

OUTERNET>APRS:>OUTERNET file created Mon Oct 10 18:30:29 UTC 2016
F4GVO>CQ,RS0ISS*,qAR,ON7EQ-10:=4826.15N/00647.30E-73 de Thierry, [email protected] {UISS54}
SV3CIX-2>APU25D,RS0ISS*,CQ,qAR,DM0AI-10:=3731.63N/02251.67E_006/001s001g002t077r000p000b10164h54
EA3RO>T1UVS0,RS0ISS*,qAR,DM0AI-10:'x/l /]Ricard, Folgeroles JN11DW [email protected]= IZ2EIB>APY400,RS0ISS*,APRSAT,qAR,DM0AI-10::HB3YGP :73 de Fabio QTH Cajello JN45JQ [email protected]{56 HB3YGP>APY400,RS0ISS*,RS0ISS,qAR,ON7EQ-10::IZ2EIB :ack56 IZ2LWA>T5UVQ0,RS0ISS*,SGATE,WIDE2-1,qAR,DM0AI-10:'9+l /]=
EA3RO>T1UVS0,RS0ISS*,qAR,DM0AI-10:'x/l /]= IZ2LWA>T5UVQ0,RS0ISS*,SGATE,WIDE2-1,qAR,DD6UBW:'9+l /]=
HB3YGP>TWRTR8,RS0ISS*,RS0ISS,qAR,SQ5MJA:0ol -/op paul HB3YGP in ST GALLEN best 73 satellitenpaul.ch_%
OZ1MAS>APRSAT,RS0ISS*,APRSAT,W3ADO-1,qAR,SQ5MJA::BLNQSL1/1:IZ2LWA,HG8GL-4,SV3CIX-2{UISS54}
IZ2EIB>APY400,RS0ISS*,APRSAT,qAR,HG8GL-5::HB3YGP :73 de Fabio QTH Cajello JN45JQ [email protected]{56

Any chance your getting APRS data from your wired source versus Outernet?

thanks much and 73,
ben, kd5byb

Just sent the following inquiry to the yaac-alpha-testers mailing list:

Greetings everyone!

New subscriber here - call sign is KD5BYB, located in Northern Alabama. I’ve been playing with Outernet for several weeks now…and when they added APRS messages I decided to install YAAC to see what I could receive.

I receive the following error messages upon trying to add Outernet with address 10.0.0.1 port 80 as well as with port 21 (the FTP port).

java.io.FileNotFoundException: http://www1.findu.com/en/cgi-bin/outernet.cgi?size=5000
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

(it goes on at length…but for brevity I didn’t post all of it…I can post all of it if needed.)

This is on a laptop computer with a wireless connection to the Outernet ORx (a Raspberry Pi 3 running the latest Outernet OS) that has no connection to the internet itself.

When I tried adding Outernet as a port to YAAC on a computer that has an internet connection…I don’t get the error…and after a bit it gets positions that seem like they are coming from Outernet.

I suspect what’s going on is that YAAC isn’t looking at the Outernet receiver at 10.0.0.1 for files downloaded from Outernet…but is trying to look for them at www1.findu.com/. That’s why it works on the internet-connected computer…but not on the Outernet connected one.

Looking for any thoughts on the above…or if this is a case of something I’ve got configured wrong on my end.

thanks much and 73,
ben, kd5byb