Beta testing RxOS release 4.0 - Skylark. Link in thread!

Wlan0 interface is missing in the ifconfig output. So thats definitely a problem. Does it remain so after reboots?

1 Like

@Mark_Phillips As an FYI, all of the CHIPs we ship out in our DIY Kits are Alpha v0.21.

@palbeda What you may be finding is that some USB cables are power-only, and others are power and data. The exact same thing happened to me over the summer. A lost an entire day to a whole mess of cables that were for only for charging.

I am online!

http://g7ltt.dyndns.org:8888 - donā€™t mess anything up!!!

1 Like

Thanks Mark :slight_smile:

It looks like that resolves to your actual device? Do you know about this service: http://pagekite.net/ It puts a server between users and your localhost device, so the traffic is hitting that, rather than your Chip.

If you did want to do that itā€™s just

wget https://pagekite.net/pk/pagekite.py
chmod +x pagekite.py
python pagekite.py 80 g7ltt.pagekite.me

It doesnā€™t survive across reboots, but assuming youā€™ve got reasonable uptime it could be worth a goā€¦

Hi Mark

I like your Port Forwarding. :slight_smile: I believe DynDNS is a pay for use? Have you found any ā€œcostless optionsā€? Ken

Pagekite (above) is free for the first month. They also do a free service for open source software so Iā€™ve asked for one of those. Iā€™m waiting to hear back, Pagekite - Adding to your account ...

But you could definitely use it for a monthā€¦

Thanks

Sam

IIRC dyndns is free for 5 host names. I bought in right at the very beginning when they offered unlimited hosts for $5. Since then my ā€œunlimitedā€ service has been shrunk to 32 hosts. Still more than I need but not ā€œunlimitedā€ per my original agreement.

Thanks for the explanation. Suspected that as I had noticed the red frame lock balloon status also.

@thomslik, @kenbarbi: the status dashboard is now fixed and should be displaying the correct color. Please verify.

It is working fine now. Thanks, Ken

Its all good here now too.

Thanks, Tom

At the moment I seem to be unable to access it at all. It no longer provides a ā€˜outernetā€™ wifi connection, nor can I access it over USB/Ethernet.

I guess I may have to re-flash it?

when you connect it to your PCs USB port, what(if anything) shows up in lsusb?

Ah just tried again with a new USB and Iā€™m in againā€¦ Iā€™ve set it to ā€˜hotspotā€™ but even after a boot no wifi is visible

Kernel messages: http://pastebin.ca/3742317

Log viewer > Network messages:
wlan0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether 7c:c7:09:e0:5d:91 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 10.0.0.1/24 brd 10.0.0.255 scope global wlan0
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

ifconfig

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 7C:C7:09:E0:5D:91
inet addr:10.0.0.1 Bcast:10.0.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

the ifconfig seems to show it did go into hotspot mode. are you close enough to it?

Yes sat right next to it.

sudo iwlist wlan1 scan from my laptop less than a meter away shows other networks but not outernet.

Where are these settings saved? They must survive a reboot?

Could you try changing the channel to 6, then apply, reboot?

Settings are in /mnt/conf/etc/rxos_config.json. best not change them manually.

there are getconf and setconf commands you can use on the command line
for example

getconf .netConf.mode

should say ā€œapā€

I strongly advise not doing this though.

Oh: one thing you can try is to remove the /mnt/conf/etc/rxos_config.json file and reboot. that should reset all your configuration.

The kernel messages shows sth wrong with your wifi.

It might be best to reflash and start from scratch.

1 Like

OK thanks iā€™ll try in the morning.

Performance and Display

Skylark continues to run without shut down on my Alpha Lantern looking at Americas 98 W. I will miss my morning visits to reboot the CHIP :kissing:

Windows
Following display observations are consistent on Windows 10 running IE, Firefox, Opera, and Chrome; and on Windows XP running Firefox, Opera, and Chrome.

• All JPG and BMP image files; JASON; TXT; and HTML files display properly within Skylark.

• PDF, RTF, MP3, and HTM.GZ files need to be downloaded to run on the local computer to be rendered visible/audible.

Also, HTML files (Wikipedia or News) will only print the first page from within Skylark. To print the entire HTML file, I had to first download it to my local computer and then print the whole file. If your browser is set up to automatically display downloaded HTML files, it will pop up a second tab next to the Skylark tab from which you can print the whole file.

Android
ASUS Android Jelly Bean Tablet only works with Firefox. Samsung Android Jelly Bean Smartphone running Chrome displays page but cannot activate Skylark icons by touch screen, and the installed Jelly Bean Browser displays a Java error message after the Skylark screen loads.

Thumbs
The Skylark display shows a directory of THUMBS (in a hidden file directory) which are all past image files. I donā€™t know if they should be deleted which I can do from within Skylark? No doubt I should also be able to find them and delete them thru an SSH connection, but I canā€™t find them with my FTP program.

Ken