Donate by bitcoin/paypal to shape content?

So many people have access to restricted Internet (Iran, China etc)

Outernet could create some bitcoin wallets and publish them over Outernet and on the internet.

Online users could suggest content to add to two lists, where outernet staff find the content falls within their guidelines they could create a bitcoin address for that piece of content and publish it to the page to garner donations. Once the donations for a piece of content crosses a threshold it’s broadcast

The page might look something like this, with the content with most donations sorted from the top.

===Recurring (RSS based)===

Keep publishing one boxun.com article a day £1000/ month {Paypal link] donate by bitcoin : 1F1tAaz5x1HUXrCNLbtMDqcw6o5GNn4x
(Broadcasting, £1000/month being recieved)

Increase boxun.com articles to two per day £1000/ month {Paypal link] donate monthly by bitcoin : 1F1tAaz5x1HUXrCNLbtMDqcw6o5GNn4x
(£800/month coming in, additional £200/month needed for continuous broadcast - Current pot standing at £800)

Keep publishing my vanity blog £1000/ month {Paypal link] donate monthly by bitcoin : 1F1tAaz5x1HUXrCNLbtMDqcw6o5GNn4x
(£20/month coming in, additional £880/month needed to broadcast)

Keep publishing Grib files every 48 hours £1000/ month {Paypal link] donate monthly by bitcoin : 1F1tAaz5x1HUXrCNLbtMDqcw6o5GNn4x
(Broadcasting, £1000/month being recieved)

Increase Grib files to 24 hours £1000/ month {Paypal link] donate by bitcoin : 1F1tAaz5x1HUXrCNLbtMDqcw6o5GNn4x
(£800/month coming in, additional £200/month needed for continuous broadcast - Current pot standing at £800)

[Web form for internet connected users to suggest content]

===One off content===

Broadcast Hespiran health guide in Spanish £1000 one off payment {Paypal link] donate by bitcoin : 1F1tAaz5x1HUXrCNLbtMDqcw6o5GNn4x
(£700 recieved - £300 needed to broadcast)

Broadcast my crappy ebook £1000 one off payment {Paypal link] donate by bitcoin : 1F1tAaz5x1HUXrCNLbtMDqcw6o5GNn4x
(£20 recieved - £880 needed to broadcast)

[Web form for internet connected users to suggest content]

Users in China or elsewhere could then donate a small monthly amount to get more Chinese news, More Wikipedia articles or whatever…

I’d be reluctant so see this as the only method for selecting content,a baseline of basic news in multiple languages and weather should be published regardless, as those with least means to pay, or no internet at all also need to be considered.

How would you prevent companies from abusing the platform and publishing their articles which wont be able to benefit anyone? If you force a certain number of donations then they could just set up multiple accounts and do it that way.

Well arguably if they are paying for the content they’re not abusing the service, simply using it. If a bit of profit is placed above the cost of the bandwidth then they’d actually be supporting the service.

I was imagining it would be on actual $ recieved rather than the number of donations.

So if company X wants to pay the full cost for their content to be broadcast, plus a bit of income for Outernet (to support other work/ more useful content) then that’s a win?

I see what you mean, but if Outernet goes down that path then it drifts away from the original idea. The platform was intended to get needed information to those who don’t have access to it. I keep thinking that a company like Buzzfeed or The Onion will pay to publish some useless article that wont help anyone.

1 Like