Dreamcatcher v3.02: Feedback Thread

Can we do an experiment where we graph signal to noise day night / Cone on LNB and No Cone on LNB and see the correlation as a graph.

I usually lose 1db during the day.

1 Like

Why don’t we ask for a report from the database on the status.outernet.is I know it covers multiple time zones but with only seven stations reporting it could be a data source. I don’t know what data is collected for the telemetry or if it is stored.

Update/edit: This is some justification for assigning an id or serial number to each dreamcatcher.

@kenbarbi @syed
Certainly Outernet gets all sorts of telemetry from each of the Internet connected DreamCatchers.

If there were two DreamCatchers, one with a cone and the other without a cone, reporting from the same location, it would be pretty easy to look at the status screens for each of them and determine how much it helps over a period of a week or so so that factors like day/night, outdoor temperature and weather can be observed.

That data can be harvested by a bash chron job running, say every 10 minutes and writing the status samples into a CSV file. Then the whole data set could be imported into Excel and with a little magic, we would have a nice graph.

I certainly would be interested in helping.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

Does any one currently have two units running side by side… Ken?

If the single unit owners did one hour without cone and one hour with cone it would give us some data on Kone vs non Kone and Sun versus Darkness etc.

I do have 2 units - - one connected to my FTA LNB/dish over 500 feet of RG6; the other my portable Lantern pictured way above here or in one of the other threads. I would be happy to reconfigure my LNB/dish unit as a stand alone/side-by-side for a test out in my antenna farm. What exactly are you proposing? How would I record the data gleaned from such test? Ken

After thinking about how to do this test comparing both setups, perhaps a real simple measurement standard could be how many files each system downloads in a 12 hour period of light and darkness.

That should be easy to determine by just looking at the “What’s New” app in Skylark. It would be a qualitative test based on overall thru put performance without getting into too much data keeping. Flipping in and out of Frame Lock may not really matter with the way Outernet sends traffic. Ken

At the end of the day the real throughput is what we are worried about.

I do wont to know what effect Kone versus no Kone is doing.

1 Like

At my location, reception without the “Kone” is too marginal. I’m right at the sensitivity of the LNB and Outernet receiver at that point.

Also be aware that any antenna gain actually narrows the focus. This pretty much means that you have to aim the LNB at the satellite, or a reflection of the satellite into the LNB. However, since the amount of gain we need is really small, this means the mechanism could be much simpler than what’s needed to receive TV off of a Ku satellite.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

Which comes back to my earlier point . Outernet needs to slow the Data rate and get the Naked LNB to work ROBUSTLY at a more sustainable SNR or else no one will buy it.

1 Like

The naked LNB is not our long-term antenna.

2 Likes

@Syed, “The naked LNB is not our long-term antenna.”

Since you have made that statement, would you elaborate, please? Will the “long term antenna” be available for us to test in the field soon? I thought that this was why we were experimenting with the LNB…

2 Likes

And I have a similar question, but about the latest board. Do most people think it will be the stable item of hardware that will not be replaced in the coming months or year. I can understand the antenna, and Skylark will improve or change. This is normal.

When will it be available to purchase?

Has anyone tried combining multiple lnb’s. It would take about 100ma for each lnb. but the price of several $8 lnb’s might solve the pointing accuracy need (spreading the receive cone?) then a good signal combiner… probably a 4 way (our multiswitch) maybe with the extra dc bias injection?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173240313204

It will definitely not be our last board, but that is not the important part. What is important is whether the current modulation is what we are sticking to. And that answer is definitely yes.

Over the last three years we have done the equivalent of going from analog to 2G to 3G. Each network required specialized silicon for reception. We have finally solidified our network architecture to something that is useful to various types of customers and is also financially viable.

We are still working through some antenna concepts. The goal is to offer something we can manufacture and can allow for incremental improvements to gain/SNR. There won’t be anything to show for at least a month. I don’t we will begin selling anything until mid-summer.

We have plenty of Dreamcatcher stock now. We are just in the middle of an office move, so sales won’t start till next week.

1 Like

@Abhishek Abhishek, could you review the scheme of transmitting files on a “carousel styled” system? How often rebroadcasts occur (if they do), general times certain types of traffic go out, etc. Ken

also could we see about adding more stuff to the carousel system like to take advantage of the increased data flow

1 Like

Good point Tyler - - we have passed the point where LNB issues need to be addressed. We know what a bare LNB can do, and we know how to enhance it with a cone or horn if we are EIRP fringe people. Syed has already stated new antennas are in the future.

So lets move on to:

1. Satellites in different areas of the world, and

2. Content - - content - - content. :wink: Ken

2 Likes

What day might that be? And at $119? I have 2 good MK1-PLL each in box. Want them?
donde

1 Like

We need this imagery! The quality! All of USA, UK, etc… on so many levels. Full disk! An example of some HRIT from NOAA-18. This could all be sourced for free using a 3rd party, or by the Outernet Team on its own by tossing up a few dishes up at HQ. We could have up to the minute satcom imagery of our countries weather. Down to almost live Lightning plots.

Sorry. Gotta push this one.

-liam

1 Like