First Dibs on Dreamcatcher 3

Dreamcatcher 3 is ready to ship. We have a very small number of units that are available for purchase. To be precise, we barely have 50 units to sell.

The price is $99, which includes shipping. This is a sale price for those that want the first edition right now. There is already a mildly updated version in the works (nothing user-facing; resistor values, etc). We are only selling Dreamcatcher v3.02 to people who live in the US.

The updated version of Skylark will be ready for downloading and burning just as everyone receives their units. Please know that this is a very, very early version and the display is not yet functional (it will eventually be). A link to Armbian for Dreamcatcher v3.02 will be available, but it wonā€™t be used for satellite reception. We also wonā€™t have any details (yet) on how to interface with the LoRa radio on Armbian.

These 50 units are really for the hardcore enthusiasts. Please consider this to be a super-alpha product. Our advice to most everyone is that they should not buy this version, but if you really insist, then we are happy to send you a hand-tested first generation Dreamcatcher 3.

Again, Iā€™m trying my best to convince you to not buy this product. But if you are still champing at the bit, then please let me know in this thread and Iā€™ll send you a Buy Now link.

6 Likes

Hello Syed - - I would like to purchase a unit. Please send me a buy link to my verizon.net e mail you have on file. Ken

2 Likes

Syed I know most of your users are technological tinkerers. But I have had a tonne of Raspberry Pies and Orange Piā€™s and not haveing a case is a big problem. I think you need to include a basic case at least as an option.

It is just too easy to damage these boards. Making a case is possible but Raspberry Pi suppliers charge $4.00 for a case and it come shipped with the RPi.

My guess is that you will not be changing the size of the Dreamcatcher 3.0 board so any case you produce should suit all future DC3.0ā€™s.

2 Likes

it isnā€™t good news :frowning: ā€¦

Well, it means that thereā€™s work involved in bringing it up here in the US. Even though SES-1 sits right on top of the Galapagos Islands, sadly, thereā€™s no coverage for you there.

Iā€™m sure an opportunity to get an out of the box, working, DreamCatcher for South America will be along soon. However, that wonā€™t be in time for your project. The best I can do now is to suggest several alternative projects to youā€¦

For me, itā€™s another lesson in debugging a complex project. Iā€™m sure it will be another wall decoration for me. The real working product will be down the line and available for everyone as a result of the work of several people willing to do an early alpha project.

ā€“Konrad, WA4OSH

1 Like

I would be interested. let me know how to purchase.

Mike

1 Like

Hello I would be very interested in purchasing this please send a link as I would love to get my hands on this

1 Like

Please add me to your list of ā€˜gotta have oneā€™. I have been telling people that donā€™t follow this thread that I should be able to demonstrate something this spring. With that said. Can you update the schedule for the next production run? ā€” for whatever alpha/beta/delta/gamma/ that is may be called.

1 Like

Why donā€™t you release a video for international users?

I definitely want to be on this list! Please send the link, thank you!

1 Like

Good Morning, Iā€™ve been lurking in the background for a few months (pretty much I was excited to order an L-band version right before news of the DC 3, and L-band shutdown broke) Iā€™m eager to get one of these ā€œsuper-alphaā€ versions to start tinkering with, could I get the order link?

Jake

1 Like

Iā€™ll buy one to help how I can. You putting them up on the store?

1 Like

As a side note - do you want any specific feedback from our testing - similar to how with DC 2.0 showed locations and SNRs? (I never had any previous versions, but I imagine that data might help)

1 Like

I have decided Not To Buy this item yet. But, I appreciate all the hard work smart people will do to make it really ready for Prime Time. "Thatā€™s "When The ā€œFat Lady Singsā€ :grinning:

1 Like

Donde, Iā€™m sure you will be following along, just in time for the second batch. I expect a few green wires and a dozen software patches. This is actually more fun than putting an appliance together, or buying the complete thing at Fryā€™s or Best Buy. :wink:

ā€“Konrad, WA4OSH

1 Like

The Outernet Project even though I kind of joined it later, has gotten the attention of big gun companies. Their version wonā€™t be philanthropic and more or less free for long, thatā€™s for sure. I still want to play with the board, but Iā€™m heeding Syedā€™s advice for now.

1 Like

I would love one too if they are still available.

1 Like

Iā€™d like one if still available. Thanks! (For reference, Iā€™m about 30 miles west of Chicago)

1 Like

Hi @Syed,

Iā€™ll take one. Please send link.

73, Frank KR1ZAN
kr1zan at arrl dot net

1 Like

@Syed,
How ā€œAlphaā€ is DreamCatcher 3.01?
Iā€™m going to assume you got the ā€œmagicā€ settled between the LNB and the SX1280 chip.
The SX1280 chip does your LoRa PHY. Does it decode?
I suppose you have no need for a mac layer and an IP layer because itā€™s over the satellite link.
Instead, you need a way to know what blocks being sent from the carousel are repeats and which are new.
Then, I would imagine you have an interworking to a router and the data store.
The rest is a liberal amounts of glue How much of this works?

What debugging tools/hooks are going to be available?
What version management are you going to use? Github? SVN?
What bug reporting tools do you use?

ā€“Konrad, WA4OSH