Hi, is there Othernet coverage in South America, specifically in Colombia?

Hello, my name is Carlos, I study at the Industrial University of Santander, Colombia, the need to get an answer to this question is because we are carrying out a social project, to take this platform to rural areas that do not have internet access.

Another question we have, is whether the SES-4 satellite provides content from this platform? or which satellites provide content in south america.

Thank you.

Currently there is no coverage in south america, only north america and europe.

1 Like

Hi @demandzm thank you very much for your response.
In other words, in South America there is no way to receive the service offered by Othernet?
With the current DreamCatcher can you use the L band that you used before to receive this service?

L band is no longer being used, so until othernet expands their service to south america you will not be able to use othernet.

It would be interesting to see if a 2-5M or larger dish could pick up enough off-beam lobe and scatter to get the service, just to be clear there will be a signal within LOS of the satellite, even behind; the question is if Carlos can receive a strong enough signal within a limited budget to decode the Othernet content.
What does the antenna look like on the satellite, I have to assume it is phased array considering how they can tune the beam shape.
With radio engineering the first place to try to improve reception is the antenna and then adding lensing and reflecting elements like you see in a Yaggi. I have always wondered if we could(yes we can) also add a lensing ring or disk to a dish antenna to add fresnel effect gain improvements. Rather than if it is more if it adds much improvement vs bigger dish Arecibo style.
This might help.
http://www.apsattv.com/techinfo/predicting-out-of-footprint-coverage.htm
(edit)
Also welcome Carlos!

I don’t know if I believe the owners web page… but it has a picture…

or https://www.ses.com/sites/default/files/2019-08/SOMAP%20Matrix%20Ku-Band%20(PDF)%20(8086).pdf

link #2, bang you nailed the info we need, the chart even gives dish size for dummies.

Thanks!
(edit)
My bad, this is for uplink stations but still applies.

Carlos, you might also try contacting the amateur radio club either at your university or area
Home(oops, wrong columbia)
and find some radio wonks who are excited to find and reuse big old satellite dishes and tear apart or custom build LNBs to boost the performance.
This is exactly the kind of mission oriented radio telescopy stuff the real radio geeks love to work on vs leaving it to giant corporations and nation states.

I still have my doubts what it will work, but according to dish pointer it might actually be possible is some areas of columbia. The bird is visible at least.

I don’t think so. I was off the North coast of Cuba this year at sea, and had no coverage until I entered the Southern edge of the 42 beam. It was a sudden appearance of signal when it worked. Ken

In an ideal world, some organization would sponsor a South American channel for the delivery of educational content.

Out of curiosity, what kind of money is that?

1 Like

Welcome Jox!
I am interested too.

About $40,000, give or take depending on the beam and teleport used for uplinking.

For clarity - - per year or per month? Ken

Per year, per beam.

1 Like