How useful is the RavPower battery?

How negative a men can be… Make you’re OWN system and i will give it a try . (Misschien gewoon stoppen met outernet…)

Very useful I’d say, especially for mobile operation. Last a good few hours, mine have been very reliable :slight_smile:

2 Likes

http://a.co/8EGNFE6

Thousands of Stratux users using this specific battery pack with pass-through charging, working great. We run two SDRs on our setups.

Oh, and don’t forget the Micro-USB cable. Lots of users will pick up any stray Micro-USB cable they have laying around. The above battery pack works out nice since it is thin, has pass-through charging, and a built-in cable.

1 Like

I looked into something like this before and what I found is lithium cells don’t like being continuously charged and discharged at the same time. I have yet to find a battery pack that specifically says that this can be done. There is a reason big manufacturers like Anker designed their circuits to not allow this.
What we need is something like this
LiPo Rider Pro - Seeed Studio

It could use higher current ratings, but other than that it would be perfect for outernet.

Another option but it looks a little dodgy.

There is no reason why the pack would need to do that!
As long as there is input voltage and the battery is charged it can just forward the input voltage to the
output with the battery offline. When the input drops it quickly connects the battery to the output.
(conceptually by using a diode, in reality a power mosfet is used)

It all comes down to reasonable design of the electronics inside the pack. And of course this design
is based on a planned use of the device, which for the RavPower battery clearly is different from what
we use it for: it is designed to re-charge a phone while away on a site without mains power. You charge
the pack at home and take it with you, and when your phone is empty you charge it from the pack.
This is quite a different usage than what Outernet users would want: a receiver that operates 24h/day
even when power is not available all the time, e.g. in a country with very intermittent mains power.

Rob, We all know you’re opinion… So send me that stupid batterypack. Ok?

Please don’t reply to any of my messages, OK?

There may not be a reason for the pack to do that, but in my experience with battery banks that is exactly what would happen. But I am not going to argue about it. BTW I take back what I said about not being able to find a battery bank that supports pass through, as I found one that advertises it as a feature. However I have better places to spend my money right now.

No! since 1830 we are free in this country to think and to say what we want. Maybe you are powerful enough in your country for someone to restrict the free thought and speech. That is exactly one of the reasons for existence of outernet.

perhaps we should consider in order to come up with a “simple” solution. a battery, charge via mains or solar panel, consisting of parts that can be purchased worldwide.

I connect a 3.7v LiPo to the JST-PH 2mm connector on the CHIP. Then you get built in charging and monitoring.

Here is an example from Adafruit. There are better deals available if you search a little.

2 Likes

Isn’t it ironic that YOU claim that people have to be free to think and say what they want and then
YOU are criticizing ME for doing that???

Here’s a 20ah battery that I have used quite a bit with some of my raspberry pi projects. It powers the outputs while charging, and does NOT drop power when connecting and disconnecting inputs. And you can charge it quickly with it’s two inputs. Oh, and it has a flashlight.

1 Like

I am a bit dubious of that total power claim. 7x3x.75 inches is really small space for that level of power density. That would be 8 18650 cells plus charge and balance protection. I guess it could make it if the cells hit their maximum rated capacity. I would love to toss one on my battery monitor and run several charge/discharge cycles to see what it could do. I wouldn’t want to spend the $30 for that privilege though. Being curious, and being cheap, such a quandary.

-Cecil

You can always watch the bigclivedotcom videos, he buys lots of gadgets like that, tests them, and
takes them apart. So you know what kind of things you should not buy.
(be wary of unbelievably good specifications and be careful about buying badly built mains-powered stuff)

Glad to see another big clive fan. :slight_smile:

possibly that’s the most easiest and quite repeatable test available, I would also eager to see what this pack can deliver…

I have one of those over fancy battery chargers made for the RC market. It uses a MOSFET load to directly measure the current and voltage into the variable set load to find the battery capacity. It’s kinda small so it can only do 25W or so discharge rates max, but any lower discharge rate is available (via transwarp drive, and if you are doing 25W discharge on a 3.7V battery it may get really hot, the battery not the charger). It can also run multiple charge/discharge cycles automatically to find a battery ‘average’ capacity at any charging rate and discharging rate you program. I was tired of new battery types needing a upgrade to my charger a few years ago.

I bet that two high current resistors on a USB stick beats what I paid for it by a long shot though. I love the translation in the description of the part above…

It’s normal when welding resistance may occur heated white smoke or odor phenomenon.

Don’t worry that is just your usb port catching on fire.

-C

1 Like

Big Clive! He shreds everything he gets a hold of! :slight_smile: Interesting videos.