Installation Pictures

Insulate and shield the LNA. And get an a-b extension about 3ft long for the sdr to the hub, and choke it. Your SNR will get better.

1 Like

this works very well. thats really only the balcony. If i move this setup 1 meter forward i get an snr of 8- 10

Do what Cecil suggests, and you’ll light up your neighborhood. :joy: Ken

Great job!

1 Like

Done this right now. Getting snr 4 - 6.5

Thought I’d share my initial setup. Currently working on making the box as insulated as possible (rubber seal and o-rings) and getting the tuning perfect. I’ll be playing around with this a lot, so I’ll post more when MKII is ready :slight_smile:

In case anyone is interested in how it looks on the inside: http://i.imgur.com/kuBQqOi.jpg, and here is a picture of when I was trying to get my first signal: http://i.imgur.com/q5EtBLy.jpg

1 Like

Why did you not put the antenna inside the (somewhat larger) box?
That would shield it from the elements and it should not affect reception too much.

I use the kit with antenna, LNA, receiver and CHIP and I have put the antenna and LNA in the box,
5m coax to indoors, and the receiver and CHIP indoors. But with the combined LNA/receiver you
still have the option to put everything in a single box.
(not convenient for me as the antenna box is on the roof and it would be impossible to flash the CHIP
without getting it down using a ladder)

Why did you not put the antenna inside the (somewhat larger) box?

Sadly, there was not enough room. I just placed a bigger plastic upside-down on it as the weather got a bit bad here today. I don’t have the lid for it, so I’m going shopping this weekend. Will probably try to find something proper so I can mount it on a wall somewhere.

Check the lunchboxes from SISTEMA. They are available in different sizes. I have the sandwich box
which nicely fits the antenna and LNA but I know there is also a box that is twice the height which should
be sufficient for your setup. (two compartments)
But note that the CHIP requires a button press each time it is powercycled. Inconvenient when you
put it outside, when you ask me.

I should have a nice surprise in in about 4 hours (related to this discussion).

1 Like

Check the lunchboxes from SISTEMA.

There’s a shop in town that sells something similar in quite a large range :slight_smile:

But note that the CHIP requires a button press each time it is powercycled. Inconvenient when you
put it outside, when you ask me.

I have not looked into it yet, but maybe there’s a way to add an external switch with the headers ?!

New packaging (instead of cardboard).

1 Like

I want one.

What do you reckon is a fair price?

I’m not sure, other than the plexiglass/polycarbonate and nylon screws, whats it made of? Unfortunately my want is going to have to stay a want for now, I just paid taxes. :cry:

That pretty much sums it up. There is also some foam inside to keep things in place.

What all fits in the enclosure?

Antenna, SDRx, CHIP, and a microUSB cable.

Does the CHIP power on automtically with that board?
It seems the power button press is only required when there is substantial power drawn from the
USB port so maybe it works OK when the board is independently powered.

Yes, when the board is attached and power is supplied, the CHIP boots right up.