Is Sale Price an OMEN?

perfect! but has he been telling anyone about it? do you document it anywhere? like i said, i read up on the DC before purchase and knew nothing about APRS capability until i looked at every file on the SD Card.
and shouldn’t the routing identifier be changed from OUTNET to OTHNET?

Maybe even OTHER, as it would be easier to remember.

No, we’ve been doing a lousy job of marketing the service. Do you have any idea how much traffic goes through Winlink per day?

Do you have any pictures of the new dream catcher board and setup?

i think you mean APRS-IS. if so: “lots” would be a correct answer.
more than is processed by Winlink daily, i’m certain.

I definitely meant the Winlink email service. Why is that not more heavily used?

winlink is not a “ham chat” mode. it’s meant for Emergency Communications and for those far far away from any communications infrastructure (sailboats at sea, for instance).
see https://www.winlink.org/SystemTraffic

As an amateur radio operator and involved in emergency management, I would love to see Winlink forms and FLDigi forms included on the content stream. The forms are small text files that allow easy transfer of standard emergency messages between ham stations. However, everyone must have the same version of the forms in advance. In an emergency, it’s not always easy to make sure everyone has the right form but with a Dreamcatcher running all the time, everyone would have the up-to-date forms ready to go!

David

Can you give an example of these forms? Do you mean a web form that can be used to broadcast standardized messages to all Othernet receivers?

Hi Syed,

I believe your company is also in Chicago.
I have run a Winlink RMS (Radio Message Server) for years.
Both on HF and VHF.
Pactor, Winmor, ARDOP, VARA and Packet.
It is a shame that only APRS texts can be sent thru your satellites.
VARA SAT (OFDM) is a much faster mode than Packet.
One of the Winlink Express modes is IridiumGO.
This gives it world wide coverage, but for the usual Iridium fees.

It would be very excellent, if Winlink can be operated both ways through your satellites.

There is now one Italian ham GEO satellite Winlink RMS, using VARA SAT through the QO-100 (Es’Hail 2) GEO satellite, at 26 deg East.
QO-100 is ham band transponder on Es’Hail 2.
The only one in the world, donated by an oil sheik from Qatar.

It would be great if we can have a few Othernet RMS’s somehow.

There is now an initiative by a group of hams to rent bandwidth on an old GEO Comsat.
Aggregator uplink and direct 12 GHz downlink.
But the progress is slow.

Othernet is already set up…!

Bernard,
KC9SGV
kc9sgv AT gmail dott com

What frequency are they trying to uplink? I assume these would be standard commercial FSS bands, right?

Providing a two-service is possible, but I don’t see a way to do it a free service. We can do broadcast for free since it is one channel shared by everyone. Also, if we did two-way, it would not be on a ham band.

We are happy to review other services to support. All we ask is that there is the potential for people to actually use the new service.

Hi Syed,

For THIS proposal, they are still looking for grant money from served agencies for Emcomm.
Their rental offer for 1 MHz of bandwidth, was quite reasonable.
I have some details.

The uplink would be on commercial frequencies via the TS aggregator.
Of course, hams would like to uplink direct on ham frequencies for free.
Then receive on ham frequencies for free.
“5 and dime” (5GHz uplink, 10 GHz downlink), is the ham goal now for an eventual 6U cubesat in GEO.

But for the “Rent-A-GEO” interim solution, we will listen anywhere that the regs allow us to listen.

Bernard,
KC9SGV
Please contact me direct.
I can put you in contact with them.

Yeah, a few tens of thousands for a 1 MHz carrier (per year). Likely even less (maybe much less) if the operator is discounting the satellite. But that’s real money, so I can understand how grant funding would be needed.

A hosted payload on a commercial GEO would be less than a standalone 6U placed in its own slot. But I can understand that the community really wants its own satellite.

Yep, you are right on the money for the rent.
But we really want this…
Years in the future for North America.

In the mean time, Othernet might work well for us.
I will mention your company to the BOD.

Please join our email list.
GEO .IO

If hams wanted to use the commercial satellite capacity that we leased, then their satellite terminals would need to be fixed units. One of the biggest concerns for network providers (the role similar to us) and satellite operators is interference. That can be either uplinking on the wrong frequency or spraying energy at an adjacent satellite. This rush factor is why we haven’t offered our own relatively low-cost narrowband service.

Sale Price should be a big driver for Othernet. Looking at the differences between the DC v3.03 and the DC v3.05, little things like fewer SMA connectors (those board mounted SMA connectors are expensive). The Touch Screen, thou nice to have, is very expensive and serves us techie’s needs, but may not be that practical for the general public. Ken

Hi @Syed ,
I informed the ORI (Open Resource Institute) BOD.
We shall see…

I agree, no spraying of adjacent sats.
So, you have the secure aggregator and the clean uplink signal.
Hams could come into the aggregator via VOIP, Skype, Echolink, or www.remotehams.com
Also via Skype video or FaceTime video.
Also maybe via VHF/UHF and HF radio at your downtown Chicago address…

The challenge for hams is to build workable downlink receivers from COTS parts, like 12 GHz LNB’s, LNA’s, DreamCatcher, Minitiouner, RTL-SDR dongles, etc.

What will this do for Othernet ?
Huge advertising exposure on ham related websites and news feeds.
~1mil hams in the USA alone.

Bernard,
KC9SGV

1 Like

Yes, we do have uplinks that can be accessed over IP, but wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of an emergency communications system? In times of disaster, an internet connection may not be available.

Yes, we can definitely build downlink receivers (which is what we already do), but I’m still trying to understand exactly what you are looking for.

Hi Syed,

We are looking to get some experience with aggregators for the commercial uplink and Ku band downloads.
For Emcomm and General goodwill in times of need.

Putting up our own GEO sat will cost millions.
Getting some free uplink bandwidth (like APRS), would be fantastic.
1 MHz (or even much smaller), is what we are looking for now. Donated with advertising for Othernet, or at a very low rate on a month to month basis.

https://groups.io/g/GEO/topic/rent_a_geo_block_diagram_by/34341709?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,34341709

Bernard,
KC9SGV

VOIP into the Othernet uplink aggregator could be delivered by Echolink or my favorite, www.remotehams.com RCForb software.
Yes, Internet or VHF/UHF, even HF link into Othernet ground station.
Or, into some Chicagoland ham shack.
Wifi mesh link to Othernet ground station.
Assuming, of course, the uplink ground station is here in Chicago.

Just throwing some ideas out there.
Goodwill to the people, is my goal too.

KC9SGV

@KC9SGV We wouldn’t be able to comp/donate that kind of bandwidth. I am happy to continue this discussion to understand if there is a way to work together, but it would need to be on a commercial basis. This stuff is expensive; I’m sure you can relate.