Is weather broadcast in a certain timeframe?

So I used my lantern in an offgrid cabin last weekend, I had limited power and it ended up only running for a couple of hours.

The only information I actually wanted was the weather, and that wasn’t broadcast in that timeframe. Is the weather broadcast at relatively predictable times?

All of a sudden this issue of when the weather is broadcast is very pertinent to me.

I have given my Outernet receiver to a friend of mine Paul who is going to use Outernet as his weather source as he sails from Philippines to Okinawa Japan…

I guess what I would like to know is

How much data does the weather app (I assume it is called Windy or NOAA) require to be sent.

At what time is the weather data sent.

How long does it take to receive the weather data.

Will the flat antenna pointed straight up receive a consistent enough signal to receive the weather data error free:

Seasalt.

The Signal question is an easy one: Your SNR has to be over or around 3db and there must be a lock. Then you get all the Data that is sent, including weather informations.

If you can get a good enough signal with pointing the Antenna straight up, it will work.

The other two questions can only be answered by someone of the Outernet Team.

regards,
Manuel

<<-- Fixed that for you…

I think you need to be very clear with Paul that it’s not going to work, that he needs to listen to standard weather forecasts using VHF/ LW/ SW etc. If he wants to play with an emerging tech for his amusement then he can.

Why won’t it work?
I agree all weather data options should be considered when crossing a sea.

I am assuming the satellite is over New Guinea.
I am assuming a flat antenna with direct line of sight will get over 3 db reception.

What I would liker to know is

What time is the weather model data sent?
How much data is sent?
And how long does it take to receive.

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Small boats just move about a lot, I’m assuming a sailboat here, but he’s likely to be heeled over to one side or another. It’s probably going to take a wave and leak. It _may- not. Which would be a nice bonus. My point is that weather at sea can be a life or death situation. In my view your friend should make sure he has a reliable source of information (even if just a decent Sw radio) then by all means play with Outernet as a bonus.

It would appear no one in the tropics has put a Outernet unit on a sailing boat.

Years ago the now defunct Worldspace L-Band Satellite Radio service with a flat upward facing antenna had no problem on boats in the equatorial zone, apparently.

The Outernet signal with forward error correction is really the data sent twice so in theory if the boat moves it may still get enough correct packets.

I am hoping being in the tropics and near the equator will help the angle of satellite data so that a flat faced standard outernet antenna moving around will work.

I have spoken to my friend Paul and advised him that there may be issues and he is happy to be a guinea pig on trying Outernet on a boat.

Great, sounds like a really useful test. Don’t mean to be too pessimistic, just didn’t want him caught in a typhoon because he left his radio at home…