Lighthouse firmware 3.0 Release Candidate

After a long sprint, we are nearing another release, a new milestone 3.0 release. I will give you an overview of new features in 3.0 along with a link to the release candidate 1 for Lighthouse (ORx users will have to wait just a little).

New filemanager layout

The filemanager has been the main focus of development towards 3.0. The folder/file list has been made (hopefully) easier to use with larger rows.

Along the top, you will find tabs. These are a bit different depending on where you are in the folder tree.

Next to each and every file, there is a ‘Download’ button for easy access.

Updates tab

We have finally made the decision to remove the Library view. Main issue with the Library view was that it wasn’t universal. There were many files that would download to your receiver, but you may not be aware of them because they don’t show up in the Library view. On the other hand, filemanager never offered a way for you to quickly see what’s new.

The update tab is the a replacement for the Library view that offers a quick glance at all files that were downloaded within the last 4 days, newest at the top.

This tab will show all updates from the entire subtree. So when you are at the top-most level, you will see updates from all folders on your receiver. When you are in, say, “News” folder, you will only see updates from that folder, and so on.

Where available, file metadata will be shown instead of the file name so that you can quickly spot what the file contains, and image thumbnails will be used instead of an icon.

Enhanced media experience

There are now tabs for 4 types of files:

• images (Gallery)
  • audio (Listen)
  • video (Watch)
  • html (Read)

Depending on the contents of the folder, appropriate tabs will appear, giving you access to medium-specific view of the folder.

All tabs except the Read tab will have metadata from the files (EXIF, ID3, etc) in a sidebar, as well as a download button.

Hotspot settings

In the settings area, you will have access to the new access point settings.

These allow you to change the access point name, enable security (curently only supports WPA2-PSK encryption), change the channel and country setting. The interface controls the configuration file, so if you have customized hostapd.conf, there is a good chance the interface will pick it up. Note, though, that it doesn’t understand or care about many advanced options.

Moving files between external and internal storage

The storage interface now has an option to move files from internal to external storage and vice versa.

Although it may sound like it would do something exciting, the only purpose for this feature is to free space up on the internal storage, since a full internal storage can be bad for a Lighthouse (e.g., no more OTA updates).

Download capacity bar

The download capacity bar has been added to the tuner settings so that the space used for downloading files can be monitored. I will not go into too much detail on what it means technically. Suffice it to say that when this space is full, you may stop receiving new files. When that happens, you will also see a warning in the notifications panel.

Many more changes

To mention a few more…

Main change under the hood is that the metadata from the files themselves is now used instead of specially crafted metadata files that we used to have before. This means that you can now use conventional tools to add metadata files that you want to upload to the uplink center, and they will be rendered in the interface.

There are also minor UI improvements here and there.

And there are probably a few new bugs.

Dowload

BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD please note that this release has a dramatically different database structure, and there is literally no going back. Worst case scneario, you may need to perform a full factory reset after flashing an older version and lose all your data.

You can download the image from http://j.mp/lighthouse-images

As usual, we thank the brave who use our pre-release software! :smile:

3 Likes

This is fantastic :smile:

up and running…
This looks nice! Thank you,
Wolfgang

live view:
http://obereip.selfhost.de

1 Like

Small update:

ORx release candidate also available

Download it from http://j.mp/orx-images

Known issues:

Release candidate 2 for Lighthouse

Dowload from Dropbox - Lighthouse images (snapshots) - Simplify your life

RC2 includes several small bugfixes, but nothing major.

Hi Brako,

I just gave ORx for the RPi 1 a try and it seems to be working fine, but I would like to report under settings → Storage devices I get this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6n3r5q0wpy8qjs/Screenshot%202016-03-30%2016.54.06.png

The internal storage reads that crazy value. Just thought about reporting that.

Thanks. We made a note of it. Hopefully will be fixed tomorrow.

I’m currently running Lighthouse 2.6rc1 and have automatically downloaded the new 3.0 release from Galaxy 19. My system did not update as expected. I rebooted, and it still did not update. Do I have to use an sd chip to upgrade? Ken

Is your storage full?

No it has plenty of room - -

Ken

That’s weird. Can you post the logs somewhere?

I’ll send it my e mail to you. My log does show receiving the file. Maybe, because I am running an “rc” file, it won’t auto update to 3.0? Ken

That shouldn’t be the case. Even 3.0rc should update to 3.0 cleanly. Speaking of which, you haven’t even been updated to 2.6 final. So there’s definitely something going on.

Let me know if you want me to stand by for further exploration of the problem, or do a manual update to 3.0.

Also, I wonder if anyone else has this problem? Please report in! Seems as though I always wind up with weird stuff going on in my house!! Ken

Ken, can you please SSH into the box and tell me what this gives you:

grep "installer.sh" /var/log/{messages,syslog}*

Here’s what I get:

Using username “outernet”.
[email protected]’s password:
outernet@outernetrx:~$ grep “installer.sh” /var/log/{messages,syslog}*
grep: /var/log/{messages,syslog}: No such file or directory
outernet@outernetrx:~$ su
root@outernetrx:/home/outernet# grep “installer.sh” /var/log/{messages,syslog}

grep: /var/log/{messages,syslog}*: No such file or directory
root@outernetrx:/home/outernet#

File seems to be missing. Wonder why? Ken

Ok, probably doesn’t work the way I think it does. :smile:

Try this:

grep "installer.sh" /var/log/syslog*
grep "installer.sh" /var/log/messages*

Still nothing

Using username “outernet”.
[email protected]’s password:
outernet@outernetrx:~$ grep “installer.sh” /var/log/syslog*
outernet@outernetrx:~$ grep “installer.sh” /var/log/messages*
grep: /var/log/messages*: No such file or directory
outernet@outernetrx:~$
outernet@outernetrx:~$
outernet@outernetrx:~$ grep “installer.sh” /var/log/syslog*
outernet@outernetrx:~$ grep “installer.sh” /var/log/messages*
outernet@outernetrx:~$ su
root@outernetrx:/home/outernet# grep “installer.sh” /var/log/messages*
root@outernetrx:/home/outernet# grep “installer.sh” /var/log/syslog*
root@outernetrx:/home/outernet#

Looks like the installer logs got rotated out. Sigh… Well, I think it’s probably most straightforward to just install using an USB stick. Put the pkg file from archive.outernet.is onto it and plug it in. If that fails for some reason, please repeat the grep commands immediate after and let me know what they say.

OK - - I’ll install the Version 3.0cr2 package, and do the check. Then I’lll advise. Ken

There’s a 3.0 final here.