LNB Offset Testing (sorry, no more free LNBs)

I second that.

For fun, I’ve been reverse engineering the firmware for a commercial automatic antenna and there’s really not a lot different. It has a magnetometer and accelerometers so it knows which way is north and how the base is tilted… after that, it does the same thing that we all do: wave the antenna around the sky and look for the strongest signal.

It doesn’t even have a GPS so it can’t even roughly point the antenna. At least we can use a web service to ballpark our aim. .oO(“according to google maps, point the antenna at about 2 fists above that tree over there…”)

I like that ‘rule of thumb’… stretch your arm out and a fist is about ten degrees, so
each finger is about two degrees.

After the new lnb lost its signal and lock after the first time I aimed it now that it’s lost it I am unable to find the signal again when I tried to reaim the lnb this past weekend I have to try to aim it again one of these days but if that failes I’ll have to try the old lnb I have a bad feeling that the new lnb has failed.

Tyler, I’m now on the old Maverick LNB on my offset 80 cm dish. It works fine. As you know, the new LNB had lower SNR readings, and since I don’t need the new LNB to close a link, I went back to the Maverick.

I am wondering what’s going to happen in Europe when @Syed Syed gets a new ku provider up. Will I need the new crystal controlled LNB for the new satellite, or will the old Maverick PLL work.

I’m leaving in 2 weeks for Northern Italy, and would like to take the right gear with me. Ken

@kenbarbi i think i tracked down the issue due to a corrupted sd card ive been running the same sd card since i got it but i didnt think it would of killed it so im wipping it and going to surface test the sd card and then put the os back again…

If you have another SD card, you might want to try that too. Ken

Yep replaced the SD card and it has been going strong I wonder what to the other sd card @kenbarbi

A mystery for sure. I have heard others had this problem, and the cause was usually stated that “the card wore out”, but that makes no sense :unamused: I’ve not had such a problem yet with any of my SD cards in the Dreamcatcher, my computers or cameras.

Possibly you can “recover” the card if you do a complete cleaning with a program like Aomei Partition Assistant or Rufus to satisfy everyone’s curiosity. Ken

When I ran a surface test on my PC on the card it didn’t find any bad sectors.

Just for kicks, reburn the SD card with Skylark 5.5 and see if it works. If so, it’s a keeper - - if not RECYCLE :smile: Ken

Not relevant to your problems, but with the next version of the product, we will be including pre-flashed microSD cards.

2 Likes

good idea , and with the over-the-air update feature that was proven last fall, this will make it more turn-key user friendly.

1 Like