Many (and probably stupid concerning you) questions

i don’t wan’t to be rude but please consider Google first next time.
It really takes us a lot of time to answer such really simple questions that are not at all Specific to othernet. At least that is my standpoint.

I linked the Wikipedia article about LNBs to you above (26 days ago) that answers a lot of questions regarding LNBs, inlcuding noise figures. Quote wikipedia: “The ideal LNB, effectively a perfect amplifier, would have a noise figure of 0 dB…”

I’ve looked the Wikipedia article but I didn’t find the answer…

There is nothing on the Wikipedia page about gain and about “L.O.”…

And does anyone knows if the LNB provided with the Dreamcatcher is waterproof ?

With the F connector pointed down (as is required when you mount it on a dish) it is waterproof. I have had mine outside for years without problem. Now off course you can’t submerge it like a pool pump. Ken

Cool! Thanks it helps me a lot :smile:

Thank you for sharing this, I was wondering what type of information was going to be available.
I am considering buying a kit. Thank you

I’m new, I haven’t even bought any equipment yet - But I think I have a question about the above statement.
If I am understanding the statement - So if Othernet just stops working one day, I could still use the dreamcatcher hardware for some ham radio projects, and to chat over it (if I have two of them)? Arabian doesn’t have anything to do with getting othernet content?

I’m sure this question has been asked and answered somewhere, and I just haven’t gotten it or found it yet - what is the TX power and range? And is there any addition equipment needed for the chatting?
Is there a list of radio projects using the hardware?

I’m just exploring ideas for now, thanks

Yes you can - - here’s a synopsis from Othernet’s Wiki

Ken

Thank you again -
after spending some time on this site and reading some more, I ended up with one other question.

I’m not sure now where I saw it, but the Dreamcatcher has a LoRa module on it? So shouldn’t it be able to communicate with any LoRa module as long as it’s on the correct frequency?
I actually don’t remember seeing the frequency published.

After reading quite a bit last night I started to get that brain melt down feeling…
Thanks again.

@kd8bxp, there is mention here in the forums of using the dreamcatcher as a LoRa node though for that purpose most people are just using a cheap Heltec unit.
In a future Dreamcatcher firmware would love to see an experimental wifi bridge or wired serial bridge and API option to connect an othernet earth station into a Disaster Radio like LoRa network to make the Othernet village footprint larger, even regional considering the range of the avearge LoRa 433/900mhz transciever; especially if the antenna is a tuned handmade dipole vs the rather dismally performing supplied helical rubber duck.
Since the hardware is the final for now there is no chance a second LoRa radio(LoRa0 is for rx’ing the output of the LNB) being added to the PCB(maybe a plugin using unused GPIOS on the risers?), but if there is ever another hardware rev a second radio would be ideal for a LoRa extended community kit along with some solar powered WiFi/LoRa mesh nodes.

Thank you,
I have to wait for another payday, but this sounds like a fun thing to play around with.
There are plenty of LoRa projects around - most of them do use the lower cost TTGO or Heltec boards.
I’ve ran across a couple of Raspberry PI project that do what you are talking about - gating the LoRa network to the internet or somewhere else. So maybe something like that is doable.
What about using the Dreamcatcher as a gateway for the Aredn network, just thinking off the top of my head here. :slight_smile:
Have you seen this project? https://disaster.radio/ They are using the TTGO boards, I’m not associated with them, but what they are doing has been on my radar for a while now. Now might be a good time to look at them a bit more too
Thanks again, have a good day.

Have you seen This? https://www.meshtastic.org/ If you like Diaster.radio, this may be of interest. They also appear to be a little more active.

@thomslik, I have a few Heltec Lora esp32s with OLED, I have had their git cloned for a while, now I need that secret sauce sauce.
Time…

(I should also probably cut some good antennas too, the helical ones from Heltec are crap on band)
It is also important to remember that even the 433mhz LoRa even when running in FSK mode is still maxed out at about 50Kb/s; so slower than AOL dialup; but better than no net at all.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, I don’t think I’ve come across that one
looks interesting.

I own a few of the TTGO with and without OLEDs, I have some that were made for the ESP8266 D1 Mini from Wemos I forget where I found the design files - they are something you order the PCB and solder up yourself (fun learning to surface mount stuff LOL).
I have some shields for the Arduino Uno (I forget who made those, linkspire maybe), a couple of modules for the ESP32 M5Stack devices.
At one point I was planning on making a small sensor network in our yard - we moved, I don’t have a yard now, and so most of these are sitting waiting for something to do :frowning:
I was testing various boards and modules to see what I liked best, and which would be cost effective.
I will agree the antenna makes all the difference in the world
Thanks again

1 Like

You might look at https://meshtastic.letstalkthis.com/

It has a link to the latest releases of the zip “bin” files that include the heltec lora, with various country frequencies. GitHub - meshtastic/firmware: Meshtastic device firmware

I have been experimenting with the T-beam version… and you really don’t use the oled much since you do most of the interface from your smartphone app.

1 Like

I suppose we could in theory make a micro dreamcatcher with a 900mhz lora ESP, would need an image for the Heltec which includes the decryption libs (probably Conax, Irdeto,Mediaguard, Cryptoworks, Viaccess,Videoguard, BISS, Nagravision, Viaccess, etc) maybe we could extract from the dreamcatcher image? Even better a Heltec with a SD card and second lora radio connected via one of the many GPIOs on the Heltec to network the whole system. Just need a pigtail, or a custom LNB casing which would hold the heltec(wifi&lora)/LNB/second LoRa for networking or direct to LNB for sat rx, maybe a battery and solar cell sold separately for a rooftop zero wires othernet LoRaWAN village-link setup.