New Raspbian images available now with HDStar support

I would like to say I have great news, but you’ll have to settle for another alpha-quality release for testing purposes. This time, we have two Raspbian images using Linux v3.18.9+ kernel.

• ORx Raspbian image here
  • ORx Raspbian image with WiFi access point here

Please test-drive them and let us know if you run into issues.

LIbrarian v0.1b3

The third Librarian beta is the default on the images. I do not recommend upgrading to development version as it currently does not work on Pi.

Geniatech HDStar support

The Geniatech HDStar v3 is finally supported. It works on Linux v3.18.9+ so please hold the upgrades. Since we have not yet found a way to differentiate between v2 and v3, you are on your own purchasing the device.

The included kernel modules can be obtained separately on the ORx project page (see bottom of the page for details).

If there is sufficient interest, we may try to obtain them and sell them online as a PCB-only (no case) version for a bit less than what they are sold online, and guarantee support for it in future.

To identify the v3 device, you can look at the PCB. It should say SU3000 v3.0. Expected syslog output is this:

Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2569.840572] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 6 using dwc_otg
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2569.941989] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=1f4d, idProduct=3000
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2569.942031] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2569.942054] usb 1-1.2: Product: USB Device
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2569.942071] usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: geniatech
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2569.942088] usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber: 0002
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2569.949581] dw2102: su3000_identify_state
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2569.949581]
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2569.949621] dvb-usb: found a 'SU3000HD DVB-S USB2.0' in warm state.
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2569.949652] dw2102: su3000_power_ctrl: 1, initialized 0
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2569.949652]
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2569.950167] dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2569.953365] DVB: registering new adapter (SU3000HD DVB-S USB2.0)
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2569.958917] dvb-usb: MAC address: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2570.271692] Invalid probe, probably not a DS3000
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2570.271768] dvb-usb: no frontend was attached by 'SU3000HD DVB-S USB2.0'
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2570.272167] Registered IR keymap rc-su3000
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2570.272856] input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /devices/platform/bcm2708_usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/rc/rc0/input1
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2570.273303] rc0: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /devices/platform/bcm2708_usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/rc/rc0
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2570.273337] dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 150 msecs.
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2570.273366] dw2102: su3000_power_ctrl: 0, initialized 1
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2570.273366]
Mar 19 04:57:37 outernet kernel: [ 2570.273384] dvb-usb: SU3000HD DVB-S USB2.0 successfully initialized and connected.
Mar 19 04:57:39 outernet kernel: [ 2572.420516] dvb-usb: recv bulk message failed: -110
Mar 19 04:57:39 outernet kernel: [ 2572.420577] dw2102: i2c transfer failed.

PCTV 461e

PCTV is still supported. However, you may need to use a powered USB hub or a good power supply for Raspberry Pi. If your Pi goes into endless reboot loop, try plugging PCTV into a powered USB hub. Also, on my test device, it would cause all kinds of problems if I unplug or plug in the hub while the device is operational. The power supply that worked for me was one that came with a cheap HTC phone, which has 5V / 1A output.

Access-point support

AP is currently password-protected. Password is outernet. This will most likely change in future releases.

In the AP image, I’ve finally had the time to make WiFi support work. Unlike the previous releases, it is now possible to have both WiFi AP and connect to LAN via ethernet port.

Edimax (Realtek RTL8188CUS) dongle has been tested and works.

Realtek Wireless N dongle (tiny one, R8188EU) does not work (in general, not just as AP).

TP-Link TL-WN722N wireless dongle is not supported, but we may get it to work soon. At any rate, if you wish to plug it in, you may need a powered hub, just like with PCTV 461e.

1 Like

This is good news. As you saw, I ended my efforts with the Arch ARM ORx concluding I did not have enough signal level here to make the PCTV 461e work with that OS. I believe the HDStar is a more sensitive receiver, so we’ll see.

By the way, what size dish does Syed have up in Boston? Ken

I personally don’t trust stats on signal strength and SNR much, because it’s one of the areas where LinuxTV API is said to be ill-defined and driver authors are free to return whatever makes most sense to them.

I ran this new Raspbian Image on my RaspberryPi on an 8 Gig chip. It worked well. Still didn’t run my Wi-Fi dongle, but mine is a Ralink RT5370 which, as you said, won’t work yet. I connected as before with an external WiFi router to get the signal inside from the base of my 80cm dish.

After I brought up Galaxy 19 at 97W, I got a set of 16 Freqs running from 11,789,000 to 12,177,000 (which as I understand are stored in the Geniatech HDStar receiver). When I looked at the services downloaded from the satellite after it scaned, I got a very long list that was consistent with the transponders on Galaxy 19. Still several transponders I know are up did not download - - I did not get Outernet either. This has got be caused by the Outernet transponder not sending me enough down link signal in Washington to close the link. When I “played” all the available tranponders I got several data links running with 30% to 75% signals as measured by the headend connected to the Geniatech HDStar. But alas no Outernet.

Perhaps you might want to think about how low signal levels will play with the Lantern as small as it it.

That’s the rap here in Washington. Thank you, Branko. I’ll be watching the Forum for more updates. Ken

Did you bring up the list of transponders from TVHeadend (add by location) or some other way?

You could also try manually adding just the transponder that has Outernet service from the muxes tab.

Here’s what I did, Brnako.

I went to TVHeadend and went to Configuration DVB inputs and selected TV adapter (Montage Technology DS3000/TS2020).

I added a Mux by location from the drop down screen, and select the Galaxy 19. Then clicked Add DVB Network. I saved the Adapter configuration then. Click on Multiplexers and got a screen with 16 different freqs which run from 11,789,000 to 12,177,000 kHz (this is my figure 2 on a past post) and click Play on the 12,177,000 kHz (I left all the other freqs up with their “play” boxes checked).

After awhile of scanning, the Services tab lists all the transponders the Geniatech HDStar could see. Most transponders are listed, but a few of the weaker transponders were not seen by the HGStar and, Outernet, is among the missing. Again I think due to low signal level on the down link. Just as a side note, when I used the HDStar as a pure FTA receiver with its viewing program on my Notebook computer, the Outernet video link did not show up as it does when I use my normal indoor FTA receiver.

Thanks for being patient with me. I’m looking for a fellow FTA enthusiast here in DC with a bigger dish to try, but anymore help would be appreciated. This isn’t rocket science! Ken

Did you mention you also have a PCTV? Have you tried it?

Yes I tried the PCTV 461e, and it worked the same as the HDStar. Here’s a screen print “Services” which shows “Outernet” NOT present in the aquirred signals.

Ken

I am having a similar problem as Ken. I’m using the 461e and only got 15 entries under the multiplex tab. I manually added an entry for the Outernet transponder, 12,177,000 kHz, but the frontend status on it is “no signal”.

I have also tried the 461e as a regular FTA receiver and I only was able to pull in about 77 channels. I know it’s not a dish misalignment, because I’m able to pull in the full set of channels from Galaxy 19 with my TRAXIS FTA receiver hooked up to the same dish.

This is the farthest I’ve been able to get with the device, and I have made progress. Previously, without the power adapter attached to the 461e, I was only able to pull in a handful of channels. I got a euro-to-us wall adapter as Branko suggested in another thread and that made it possible to see 77 channels, but obviously that is still incomplete. I actually program an audio channel on G19 (LRN.FM on the 11,929,000 transponder) and that is one of the channels not seen by the 461e, but is seen by my TRAXIS.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Looking through the channels on my TRAXIS, there are some with a low signal, so I suspect my dish needs to be tweaked a bit. Will try that and see if that results in the 461e picking up some more channels, and hopefully Outernet.

LNB topics:

Some times ago I had chance to open a LNB unit, it was inside a well known 8 Volt “stab brick”, connected to the coax cable. This is the component, responsible for the power of the LNB,s electronics. It seems this unit is working well, if it has at least 12-13 Volt on its input. This level depends on the lenghts of the coax cable, the numbers and the quality of the connectors, and the out of the power unit, you use at the other end of the coax. I think, it is a good tip to check the voltage level at the LNB.
Another issue is the switching capability: the DVB-S units use the Diseqc standard to switch someting, connected to the coax cable. In this case, it seems need to switch at the LNB the polarization between horizonatal an vertical options. Generally, it is not a problem, if you use a standard unit. You have options to choice between Diseqc 1.0/2.0 and 1.1/2.1. In general I use the last option. You can check, is it working, on this options on the tvheadend page:

Configuration – DVB Inputs — TV Adapter — General
There is the option for the Diseqc standard, and you can check the actual parameters in the table: (This is my values on outernet channel on Hotbird)

Information and capabilities

Hardware
Device path:
/dev/dvb/adapter0
Device name:
Montage M88DS3103
Host connection:
USB (480 Mbit/s)
Intermediate Frequency range:
950000 kHz - 2150000 kHz, in steps of 0 kHz
Symbolrate range:
1000000 Baud - 45000000 Baud
Status
Currently tuned to:
Satlink: 11,471,000 kHz Vertical (Default (Port 0, Universal LNB))
Services:
Muxes:
Muxes awaiting initial scan:
Signal Strength:
98%
Bit Error Rate:
0/s
Uncorrected Bit Errors:
0/s

Ofcourse it is importat the good positioning to the satellite. I tried to use a small dish, 35 cm in diameter, it was more or less usefull to receive the tv streams, but I wasnot able to receive any outernet broadcasted files.
t.janos

1 Like

Hi t.janos and FTL_lan - - I’ve looked at your (t.janos) photos of your rooftop setup, and think you are using an 80 cm dish as I am. I wonder what FTL_lan is using? You are on Hotbird, so thinks are different in Europe.

FTL_lan, I get the same kind of results too. My inside FTA system with an OpenBox 500 feet from the dish/LNB get many more video and radio channels than the dongles do 3 meters from the dish on Galaxy 19.

My test are conducted 3 meters from my 80 cm dish/LNB and sent inside by an external WiFI (as t.janos does). I’ve asked several FTA friends in Washington, DC, if they have bigger dishes to try, but haven’t heard back yet. I’m going to New Hampshire in a few weeks, and plan to ask Syed if I can bring my setup to his office in Boston to try on his antenna. Somehow, I expect Syed to tell me he’s using a converted 10 foot C band dish for his tests which in this case should work fine.

At the end of the day, I think Outernet may need to purchase more down link power on their transponder from Galaxy 19. Still in the back of my mind - - Lantern should be able to operate at low power levels, and getting more power for us geeks may not be relevant to Outernet’s furture! Oh well, let’s see what I get back from this post. Ken in Annapolis, MD

I tweaked my dish today using a portable FTA receiver and took my signal quality on the low signal channels up from low to usable (I used Russia Today as my guide) . Sadly, no extra channels appeared when using the 461e as an FTA receiver. Still just 77. Still no Outernet. Russia Today does not appear on the 461e, but it looks great on my TRAXIS. LRN.FM still does not show up on the 461e.

Is the 461e just a piece of junk receiver? It’s too bad - I really like the idea of a FTA receiver that has a digital connection to the computer. Is the HDStar any better? How many FTA channels can you pull down?

I am using a 76cm dish.

To search around your Montage Technology DS3000/TS2020 type usb receiver, I found - with some others - this forum thread:
[Solved] TVHeadend Issue with Tevii S660 - Bad Signal quality. Or Not?
http://forum.kodi.tv/printthread.php?tid=152837

I dont know is this chipset are the same as are inside in yours, but there are two proposed triks:

• delete all the Mux/Serices list, and start a new initial channel scan with it. On the RaspberryPi this files are in /home/hts… somewhere.
  • switch off (temporaly?) the signal strenght meter.
    I dont know will this help, but at least, I propose to try them.
    t.janos
    Keep in mind: This devices relatively new, and the linux drivers/tools in developments. This situation has the basic problems as appeared near all the linux low level development: there arenot enough (factory-have) informations to develop the drivers. Consequently there need a long try-end-error / test periods.
    t.janos

What kind of power does your Pi get?

I’d like to voice a decisive “no” here, but all I can say is, if it didn’t work for us, we wouldn’t go about recommending it to people and wasting their money.

I ran comparison tests (from 0900 - 0930 on 23 Mar) comparing my FTA Openbox S9 HD PVR, the Geniatech HDStar, and PCTV 461e from inside my house 500 feet from my LNB/80 cm dish.

The FTA Openbox detected 238 video and 80 radio channels connected directly to the LNB (I bypassed the motor and DiSEqC since the HDStar and PCTV 461e aren’t designed to work thru them).

Both the Geniatech HDStar and the PCTV 461e detected 109 video and 42 radio channels when connected to my laptop running ProgDVBNet6. In both cases, the dc output to the LNB was 13.9 vdc (which consistent with a standard LNB installation) and again I had bypassed my motor and DISEqC). I agree with Branko that the PCTV 461e is a good box - - I bought both so I could do a complete comparison. Again unfortunately, I have not been able to recover Outernet’s data signal with either of them, but they work fine as FTA devices connected to a computer, and work with the TVHeadend software in the BlackberryPi.

One interesting point was both the HDStar and the PCTV 461e retrieved the Outernet video signal at 12,022,000 and 22,000,000 which is different from my FTA receiver’s signal located at 12,177,000 and 23,000,000 (which is what Outernet says is the correct location, and the RaspberryPi TVHeadend sets up and tries to find).

Ken

There’s no support in TVHE, but PCTV can positively use DiSEqC USALS.

@kenbarbi Thanks for the extensive testing. I’ve forwarded this to a few people and will get back to you when/if I find out more.

Here’s what you guys could try. ONDD has the ability to tune. Depending on your LNB type:

For universal LNB:

ondd -f 1577 -s 23000 -p V -t -o /tmp -i

For NA Ku:

ondd -f 1427 -s 23000 -p V -o /tmp -i

The -f switch is L-band frequency and -s is symbolrate in kbauds. -p is polarization, and -t is 22kHz tone. -o /tmp is the download directory. The -i switch spits out raw SNR and signal strength values as presented by the driver.

You’ll need to stop the ONDD and TVHeadend services before trying this. Files should start downloading to /tmp.

The above values apply to G19.

The PI is getting power from a battery that has 5V,2A output via USB. Pi appears to be working properly. The 461e is being powered via the included wall adapter via a euro-to-us plug converter.