New user comments

Lets wait and see.

Without the logs, I am kinda just trying things out.

I am trying to download the logs but I get a

“Internal Server Error”

What is the most recent file you have received?

Not just Weather or APRS - any file.

I have attached a screen grab.

I am currently receiving.

1aae-Canada.html.tbz2 (7%)

delete the messages-0 and messages-1 files from your APRS folder.

lets see if you get their replacements. Wait a couple hours - the new one just went out. So you will have to wait for the next iteration.

Abhishek. Thanks have deleted the APRS messages-0 and messages-1 files.

I have a suspicion the CHIP is running better now I have deleted the weather data for October.

Is there any way of seeing how much ram I am using etc.

http://chip ip/qa/top

Its not just the RAM though. Due to the way L1 does things, lots of files just cause it time out on certain actions. The problem you see with the log viewing is an example.

Big changes are coming on that front.

Hi Steve if you are getting the APRS messages every hour have you been able to get YACC working and displaying the message data?

Its really painful. Every time I try and check the logs my CHIP is crashing.

I am happy to wait until 3.2 comes out.

Hi Steve if you are getting the APRS messages every hour have you been able to get YACC working and displaying the message data?

Sort of, using xastir, I have a script that runs every hour to ftp the file from the outernet Pi and send it to xastir on my laptop. It works well, but it is not the seamless integration YACC is going for, but my setup is using the Outernet Pi on my LAN, it is in a box on my roof so running user software like YACC on it is not an option.

I am still not getting in Philippines any APRS messages being sent.

I am receiving the new NEWS files and I appear to be receiving the Weather files up to date.

Every time I ask the Library CHIP to show me the Logs it just spins away and then crashes.

I really want to get into APRS.

I want to have YACC working all the time and send APRS messages by the AMSAT VHF/UHF and also I want to try HF 10mhz APRS and the new low power WSPR.

Just to be clear, the APRS data comes in two files, messages-0.html and messages-1.html. One hour the data is sent in one file, the next hour the other. On the third hour the first file is overwritten, and on the fourth hour the second file is overwritten. So there will always be just the message-0 and messages-1 file in the APRSAT directory. The first line in the messages-x file is the time when the file was requested by Outernet from my server, so a quick look at that line will tell you the how old the data is.

Otherwise I can’t help you much, it does sound like there is some sort of problem.

You do not need to wait for Outernet though to play with APRS though, all those programs will run on your regular computer.

Thanks for this explanation. It is something I did not understand.

I am not panicking about receiving the APRS files as I believe 3.2 version of the software upgrade will try and address the resources issue that I believe is causing a problem with me seeing APRS messages.

I have seen other files come down but not the APRS messages.

But I am not always looking.

As for APRS I am a beginner in a remote place so No VHF APRS but possibly satellite APRS or HF. But I tested my HF today and it appears not to be transmitting.

So It will be a couple of weeks before I can take advantage of APRS messaging and Outnet fantastic back channel.

This is already possible with HF via UZ7HO sound conversion software and Cross Country Wireless APRS Software.
Best,
Oliver,
M0OLI

Thanks Oliver, I had a look at the UZ7HO sound conversion software and I think it is a very good start.

I am a Ubuntu user but I can use XP in Virtualbox.

I also have a signalink souncard modem( which he talks about) attached to Icom 718.

So maybe tonight I will try and send out a APRS message to OUTNET.

Good, remember your offsets!

You can use Direwolf directly under Ubuntu to accomplish the same thing as UZ7HO under Windows.

Thanks for the reply. Where I am is fairly remote so I am sort of going very slowly on this. I am a little worried about the Icom 718 getting stuck on Transmit and me not noticing.

I have managed to get soundmodem to transmit a tone sound through my laptop speakers but I am not sure if it is sending to my Signalink modem which is in another room.

I played a little bit with direwolf but It was easier to use the sondmoem config tool.

Assuming you have a signalink souncard modem or something similar, Could you please send me a copy of your Direwolf config file. I think that would be a great help.

I am thinking of asking Syed to set up a wiki area and include a APRS section so more people can more easily take advantage of the OUTNET service.

Seasalt

I don’t have a Direwolf setup currently running. Docs online are very good and detailed. As long as you select the correct soundcard, you shouldn’t have any problems. I can say that operational test results say that both Direwolf and UZ7HO far outperform the soundmodem driver.

Radios getting stuck in TX are almost always symptoms of RF feedback and/or interference. The issue won’t be affected by which soundcard modem you use. If anything, I’d expect more issues with running UZ7HO in a VM as you’ve got the interactions of passing hardware access from the host OS to the VM via the hypervisor.