Outernet 3.0: 30kbps now, 100kbps eventually - even smaller antenna

EchoStar-9 / Galaxy 23 ? 121W … due south from Seattle, WA Clear Sky 35.2 dev elevation

No dish
Maverick MK1PLL LNB LO=10,750 GHz
6ft RG-6 coax 75 ohm
(some adapters to match F connectors to SMA)
MiniCircuits ZFBT-4R2GW-FT Bias Tee
DC Voltage: 13V

6ft RG-316 coax 50 ohm SMA-M SMA-M
NooElec RTL-SDR dongle in aluminum housing
Laptop running Skywave Linux Gqrx

I see some very nice carriers at 12,199 GHz

12,199 GHz using my home-brew Bias Tee

YAY It looks like it worked!

12,198 GHz

12,150 GHz huger carrier … probably spur in LNB. It’s not there on the RTL-SDR alone.

…I will let other discover more. It’s really interesting what satellite signal hunting you can do on a shoestring budget.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

Here are some photos…
This is the Maverick MK1 PLL on a Velleman circuit board holder.

The homebrew bias tee and a connector jungle to get from F-type connectors to SMA. It feeds 13 volts into the coax towards the LNB and not towards my RTL-SDR dongle. Basically, it’s a DC blocking capacitor, an RF blocking choke and a handful of bypass capacitors. I got the surface mount parts and the choke from Vetco Redmond, WA. I made the circuit board by hand – a piece of FR4 about 1 1/2 square with an exacto knife.

This is my Linux laptop and the NooElec RTL-SDR dongle.

…now I’m all excited waiting for the new DreamCatcher-3.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

Which transponder # in EchoStar 9 are you basing your tests on? I was thinking the final choice would be TP31 or 32. Frequency: 12171 V, 12167 H MHz respectively.

:sob:

121W will deprecate many East coast users. Ken

What do you mean by deprecate?
It’s an old Dish TV satellite and the elevation on the East Coast should not be an issue.

By that I mean we won’t have clear view of the satellite.

At my position (39.01 deg N lat 76.5 deg W long), I would need to look at a 25.8 deg elevation angle which is low. INMARSAT 4-F3 is 39.8 deg. Doesn’t sound like much of a difference, but I think others may agree with me especially those in South America. Oops, I checked - - South America isn’t in the coverage pattern. Ken

1 Like

Nice from my North Bend, WA QTH

Somewhat low from the Alaska Railroad terminal in Ankorage, AK

Not bad from near my sister’s house in Tuscon, AZ

Pretty low to the ground from an island in ME

My two cents…
–Konrad, WA4OSH

So true :grinning:

Two thoughts come to mind - - the first is with my motorized offset feed Ku antenna pointed South (my South is 76 deg W), 121 W is right at the end of my end stops - - if not beyond as I have never pointed there.

The second important issue is, Outernet plans to use a naked LNB pointed at the bird with no dish as I read Syed’s proposal. So I figure a Lantern like device would support the LNB on a tripod or stand of some sort when it goes into production. A user would hand point the LNB using a simple compass - - not a Suunto Tandem. Seems to me, a bird with a higher elevation angle across more of the viewing area would be more practical and easier to aquire. Ken

Ken,
I think you missed the southern half of coverage. I found this for Echostar 9.
But maybe South America is very weak. Note North America is redish-brown color.
Don

Keep in mind that this satellite was successfully used for a national tv service, which is not that different from our own (direct to home).

Location and look angle are important, but not as important as contour maps and price.

This beam has solid, uniform coverage down to Guatemala. We will need to pick up another beam for South America.

1 Like

You’re right Syed. Wikipedia says this about Galaxy 23 (EchoStar 9). Note Coverage at bottom. I’m sure you know this.

1 Like

[quote=“Tysonpower, post:74, topic:4395”]
Bias Tee is the best solution to power the LNB. You can use the same cable for power as you use for the signal. You can’t supply the LNB over Ethernet, so it doesen’t really make’s sense to me. The only Option would be adding a lan port with POE to power the DC remotly, what doesen’t makes sense with the Display on it.
[/quote]Maybe that should be optional add-on which will allow us to power it using MikroTik or Netonix.

Possible choice of sat:
Es’hail-2 will also provide the first Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation (AMSAT) geostationary communication capability that connects users across the visible globe in one single hop and in real-time.

Those white ovals represent elevation contours to the bird. The black encircled colored areas are the beam EIRPs where you can expect a signal. Ken

I surrender. Let’s see how it goes. I’m still curious if you will be selling an Outernet vetted LNB. Ken

Ken, Good clarification of chart. Today is last stock trading day of year. I’m waiting as you are, for another kind of news.
Don

We don’t have the frequencies yet, so unfortunately there won’t be any new information to share. Was hoping to have everything signed and sealed by the end of the year, but the sales people were out for most of the week.

Yes, we will be selling a vetted LNB.

2 Likes

Thanks for update.
Happy New Year, Syed :slight_smile:

Mega Dittoes (to borrow the phrase from Rush Limbaugh listeners) :slight_smile:
It’s been a very fun SDRx and DreamCatcher 2.03 project so far. I look forward to the new service unfolding.

Happy New Year @donde @Syed @kenbarbi @myself @Thel @ac8dg @Tysonpower @london and anyone else I’ve missed.

–Konrad

Thanks! Also wishing anyone of you a happy new year or as we say in german: Einen guten rutsch ins neue Jahr!

Or as we say here in cologne: Joode rotsch!

regards,
Manuel

1 Like

Manuel, Guten Rutsch!
BTW, my Cousin Sebastian also lives in Koeln. Reminds me, I need to wish him the same!

–Konrad, WA4OSH