Outernet 3.0: 30kbps now, 100kbps eventually - even smaller antenna

Definitely.

Very nice, I have a 14.5 ft dish for NOAAPORT on galaxy 28, time for a dual band feed looks like :slight_smile:

1 Like

As to Ku band satellite picks, 101 W (SES 1) is about as far west as an east coaster would like to look. Galaxy 28 at about 89 W is in my ā€œsweet spotā€ here. What do you think Konrad? Ken

What is more important than location of the satellite is the beam contour. In many cases the antenna is configured so that there is more EIRP in locations that are actually farther away from the satellite.

Ken, perhaps a few of the Outernet community could help by performing a particular test on the new prototype Dreamcatcher board, like heat or humidity. This could off load simple details to knowledgeable engineers or technicians out there. An idea that could save time in development.

Iā€™m already thinking about designing a case for the new Dreamcatcher :slight_smile:

Are you also planning to sell a case for it or not? Other wise i will make a 3d printable one when the new Hardware is out.

Question: Will the new DC include a Display as in the protype?

regards,
Manuel

1 Like

The television dishes offered here are usually tri-band 110, 119 and 148 degrees. I imagine these were picked for optimum coverage across North America / US?

89W is Southwest from here. Itā€™s right above the Rattlesnake Ridge for me in North Bend and right above Tiger Mountain in Bellevue at my YLā€™s house. Itā€™s right above Sobiesky mountain where my son Chase, KL7LPS, lives. I really canā€™t influence the whole country based on my bad satellite views.

ā€“Konrad, WA4OSH

Donā€™t get too caught up in the details of the test:

G28 is just one of many options. Wait and see.

1 Like

And of course Central and South America; Alaska; Mexico; and Canada. too.

I know Syed will pick carefully. Ken

1 Like

Yes, I fully understand G28 was a test signal. My point is that the satellites over the Galapagos island are in a very direction than they are where the majority of the people in the US/North America/Central America/South America/ live. To the west of us is a hundred miles and then nothing but ocean for thousands of miles. Seattle is just one tiny corner of the bigger puzzle as you both @Syed and @kenbarbi know.

Iā€™m patiently waiting.

Konrad, Just on the Internet looking at Ku LNB Reviews. Unbelievable NF claims, many at 0.1 NF. Surprised I donā€™t see a 0.0 NF! Actually the ā€œreviewsā€ are really ads to buy an LNB of dubious specs. Right now I have no idea how to find an LNB lesser in performance than the ā€œbestā€. There all the best. Only an FYI from me who now knows a bit more about the LNB business!

I use a cheap (14ā‚¬ incl. shipping) Quad LNB for TV reception and it works great.

I donā€™t think that it is that important what LNB you use, but that is a very good thing.
You shoud be able to us any LNB you can find at the moment in a store near you or online.

regards,
Manuel

There are several Linear Polarized Universal LNBs for around $10-15 with 0.1 NF on Amazon. I was going to get one of those and a Single Satellite TV Dish LNB Bracket to hold it from a mini-tripod. I only need a short length of RG-6 ā€¦ maybe 3-6 ft. I was going to build a bias tee with F connectors on both ends on a piece of circuit board, one DC+RF, the other RF only ā€¦ and then look at what the block converter sends my way on the RF-only side of the coax with an RTL-SDR.

This ends up in the middle of the L-Band, right?

ā€“Konrad, WA4OSH

Doesnā€™t the DC do that now? Receive L band from from our passive or active patch or helix antenna. Wonder why we need a new DC?

@Donde It could be any number of things - Not high enough frequency on the VCO, not enough bandwidth on the mixer, not enough bandwidth or dynamic range on the A/D, too much work to do to decode it all, the FPGA not big enough, etc. etc. I wish I understood what was on the DC 2.03 and whatā€™s going to be on the DC 3.0.
ā€“Konrad

Konad
I agree. Outernet hardware design should be shared more. I know parts of software maybe should not be. I donā€™t know. Not privy to overall philosophy of project.

2 Likes

i want to order a new one already come on outernet team keep up the good work

1 Like

Here is roughly what I want to try while I wait for my new DreamCatcher receiverā€¦

Bias tee ā€“ (this one is for VHF/UHF, I want to make one for L-Band):

ā€“Konrad, WA4OSH

Team,
now that the D.C. v2.03 is kaputt, any chance to get the circuit diagrams? you know, some of the smarter cookies on this forum might be able to hack the board to make it do something usefulā€¦ right?
BTW, congrats for the new scheme-of-things, hopefully a long lasting oneā€¦
oh, BTW#2, will people in APAC are going to receive bit more than 2nd-class-consideration in the new Ku-band eraā€¦?
regards,
lm

2 Likes

The schematics to the SDRx would also be useful.

ā€“Konrad, WA4OSH