Outernet 3.0: 30kbps now, 100kbps eventually - even smaller antenna

Dear Syed,
It will be honest to offer to send on production costs Q80 shield for Dreamcatcher v2.03 to all current owners of Dreamcatcher v2.03. It will enable to receive Ku-band broadcast to all current users of Dreamcatcher v2.03.

I will be honest to add note “***Please do not buy this to exclusively receive the Outernet L-band data broadcast. This broadcast will not be available after December 31st, 2017.” to the rest of your products.

How much cost Outernet L-band data broadcast?
Maybe an crowdfunding will enable to continue Outernet L-band data broadcast for whole world?

Regards,
Fredrikson
(one months owner of 1x Dreamcatcher v2.03, 1x active antenna, 2x pasive antenna, 2x L-band filters)

1 Like

…what’s a Q80 shield…?

1 Like

Look at Dreamcatcher 3.0 prototype image. It is Dreamcatcher v2.03 with Q80 v1.01 shield.
Regards,
Fredrikson
(one months owner of 1x Dreamcatcher v2.03, 1x active antenna, 2x pasive antenna, 2x L-band filters)

ok, thanx, I see what you mean but there is nothing on google… I assume it is the Ku receiver or part of it… bugger, so much to learn…!!

It is sweet secret of our lovely Outernet inc.
If need whole world (land) internet access (very limited) try to get Amazon Kindle Keyboard 3G with Free 3G + Wi-Fi and 6" E Ink Display.
Amazon stopped selling this product some years ago but still continue web access for old products.
Current Amazon Kindles with 3G have internet limited to amazon and wikipedia pages.
This is Amazon.
Regards,
Fredrikson

Does anybody know how LCD display is connected to Dreamcatcher v2.03 on Dreamcatcher 3.0 prototype?
BTW
Does anybody know how to connect LiPo battery to LIPO_BAT port? What is kind (voltage and capacity) of LiPo battery is supported?
Would Outernet Inc. publish full technical documentation of Dreamcatcher v2.03?
Regards,
Fredrikson

The new outernet uses KU band what is way higher in frequency (11-12Ghz) than L-Band (~1550mhz).

Even the converted frequency that comes out of th LNB (900-2150mhz) is partially out of range of the RTL-SDR.

That is why they Need a new Version of the DC with a different Receiver.

regards,
Manuel

2 Likes

You only have Internet with that Thing when there is a 3G Connection…try that in antartica, africa or an other part of the world with no or really bad mobile Internet coverage.

Outernet only Needs energy, that’s it. The stationary satellites are covering every part of the world all the time.

regards,
Manuel

[quote=“Fredrikson, post:41, topic:4395”]
How much cost Outernet L-band data broadcast?
Maybe an crowdfunding will enable to continue Outernet L-band data broadcast for whole world?
[/quote] @Tysonpower

Clearly broadcasting data on one single satellite data channel is massively cheaper than offering everyone two-way service for free. I think that both a crowd sourcing model or (charity or club) could work to fully fund Outernet. I could easily consider paying $50-100 per year for a membership (or FREE to anyone that has financial hardship). The “energy” that’s needed to keep this project is solid funding.

1 Like

@Syed @lmantuno I also would love to know that the Q80 shield does/did.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

that would be a smart move to make a ver of the board that adapts all the current outernet setups to the new ku setup like the dreamcatchers the first gen setup ie chip + RSDR + Lband sawfilter+ attenna might just need to be phased out but the Dreamcatchers that just got released and since you are prototype testing with a dreamcatcher with a add-on board you could easily release that board to help people adapt the old dreamcatchers.

I guess, it’s the cost of producing the add-on board versus scrapping the whole lot and getting a new DreamCatcher V3.0 board. Of course, I have no idea what the limitations are of supporting the legacy DC V2.03 A lot goes into manufacturing a small run of boards, and then stocking them, etc.

I lost my DC 2.03 board. I left it outside and it started raining (no so unusual here in Seattle). So, I’m pretty much stuck with buying a new board anyway (since there are no schematics or clues on how to debug the DC 2.03).

–Konrad, WA4OSH

Just thinking about it and they could make a bare board and let the users populate it to cut down cost

Looks Awesome Syed! Tks for all the team for the continuous improvements.
I live aboard a sailboat here in Brazil and was doing some tests with the L-band Outernet, intending the grib files and more. I would be very glad to test the new Ku band Outernet asap.

1 Like

The Q80 board in the photo seems to be just a proprietary receiver with an LNA, Bias Tee (to power the LNB) and some voltage regulation for everything.
It also connects the receiver over the header to the DC, so it could be possible to use it with anything that has similar connectivity over headerpins.

I think that i could be quite close to the real purpose of the Q80, but some data about it would be great of course @Syed :slight_smile:

But as far as i know: Dev boards like the Q80 are most often quite expensive to make, because it uses low quanity and most often expensive parts that are overkill but work great.

regards,
Manuel

1 Like

I don’t know … I thought soldering was simple until I took the IPC J-STD-001 Training and Certification for the first time, a three day course. Soldering surface mount components by hand can be fairly tricky for someone who has not gotten the training. There’s a lot more to soldering parts on the boards since things have gotten miniaturized. Lead-free soldering (RoHS), which is required for some parts of the world, can also be tricky. A pic and place machine with a wave soldering machine can make quick work of putting circuit boards together. It’s mostly the setup that’s the big overhead. Small runs don’t make a whole lot of sense.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

there are many other options to adapt them they could show us how to bypass the saw filter then use a up or a down converter to deal with the different band

1 Like

@donde So much of the development time is really just waiting…parts to ship, PCB to fabricate, shipping…

@Tysonpower It may be pretty tough to initially sell a case, though we are reviewing options for a stamped metal one. Very likely the case will be separate. One of the downsides to the current Dreamcatcher is that it is not a standalone device; it requires a client (tablet, phone, laptop). The reason to add the LCD and speaker is so that the device services purpose by itself. It can now play audio and show weather maps. Yes, the new version will include the LCD.

@kenbarbi There will need to be a different beam for Central and South America. G28 does look promising for national (American) coverage as it hits Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico very well.

@Konrad_Roeder Yes, commercial LNBs usually put at 950 - 2150 MHz.

@donde DC2 employs software demodulation. We want to move to a faster bitrate service with a unique modulation, which is why it is a hardware radio. We don’t have an FPGA on the DC2; all the work is done a 1 GHz CPU.

@lmantuno We do intend to release a schematic block for DC2, but after the release of DC3. We don’t see APAC as a second-class citizen at all, it’s just that there wasn’t a way to commercially support the service. I’ll be looking for local resellers so that we can turn an APAC beam on asap.

@Fredrikson Q80 is our own development board. We are working on another product which would be compatible with DC2. Recently we have found that most of our customers are buying products (SDRx, antennass) for non-Outernet purposes. It would cost less to buy an apartment in New York City than to continue operating the L-band service. Yes, really.

@Konrad_Roeder The Q80 daughter board is for the reception of Ku. It will be integrated into DC3.

@tylerhoot That’s a lot of cost for a product that doesn’t have very broad appeal. The only way we can add satellite capacity is by going more and more mainstream, and reducing costs of the receiver. Making bareboards is not a problem, but soldering BGA parts is not something that is usually done on a hobby bench. Not saying it can’t be done, but there are relatively few people who want to bother with that.

@Tysonpower Yes, you are correct on both counts; it is a development board and was expensive to produce just the 10 that we made.

1 Like

Thanks for all the answers so far Syed :slight_smile:

I will make a 3D printable Case as soon as i can get my Hands on the Hardware :sunglasses:

regards,
Manuel

1 Like

What kind of power supply does the dreamcatcher kit need?