Outernet Dreamcatcher v2.03 Beginner Guide

Hi all,

I received my Outernet Dreamcatcher v2.03 and installed Armbian, but didn’t manage do put it ‘to work’. I’m walking in circles for a long time in the docs/forum, without success.

I think we should build an unified and beginner guide specific for Dreamcatcher v2.03 + Armbian, referencing it clearly in docs.outernet.is (I’m volunteering myself to work on it, just need some help to get past the point I am).

For instance: I found and read my short guides / posts about installing sdr software; enabling leds; fixing an issue with apt upgrade; etc etc… but I didn’t discover how to receive some data with the bundled antenna.

I mean addressing ‘dumb’ things like: how to point the antenna, what to do after flashing and booting Armbian, etc.

Currently I have it running the latest (?) Armbian_5.27_Dreamcatcher_Debian_jessie_next_4.10.14_20170602.img.gz and updated. (apt upgrade with kernel hold fix).

From this point, what should I do to receive some content?

Also, how can I see what content is available?

If you can help me through this thread I will try to collaborate on the documentation.

Thank you all

Mario

here ya go.
this will get you to use the outernet

NOTE on what ANTENNA you have…Blueish/green PCB is Activate
and the Metal one is Passive
https://archive.outernet.is/images/Dreamcatcher%20Skylark/

for the most part Just flash the Right Image and point Anttena then Off to the Races you go.

Hi Mario u must replace armbian with the latest skylark image 4.4 then boot it up, choose tuner choose satellite for your area point antenna at satellite and “BAM” just choose wisely the correct skylark image one is for passive antenna(plain metal) and one for active antenna(blue/green) and use correct antenna in top one is passive bottom one is active.

its definitely an excellent idea to improve the documentation, i myself had issues because they could not be found. it turns out though that they were once there, but removed for some reason. its pretty sad really…

I am willing to host them on my Wiki at DreamCatcher - RadioNerds, if they are written up, i will publish them or allow other to update as needed if they desire.

This way, the owners of the DreamCatcher wont be left in the cold… I own 3, its important to keep the information public…

Chris

1 Like

Thanks @DV8 and @hookalaya, now skylark works. I’ve tried it before, without success but I think I found the problem: I tried with a 16gb sdcard. Now with a 4gb card it worked. (16 is original from sandisk, 4 is a cheap one from china… haha)

@nbkhwjm I’m compiling some information and as soon as I have some free time will organize it in a document. I’m thinking in a HTML so we could just send for publication in docs.outernet.is (and save people’s time, haha). But having a wiki is an awsome ideia as well.

Could someone please clarify: what’s the fundamental difference between skylark vs armbian image, regarding funcionality? Outernet goals can be fully achieved with armbian? Or something is skylark only?

Who is ‘in charge’ of the setup/building of the images? This person could please outline which software/functions should an image have? It would make things much easier for people to contribute.
Example: armbian still lacks auto wifi setup; package X for receiving; webserver Y, etc…

I would say that outline a roadmap / task list is the priority number one of the project formal members. (above they work on the issues by themselves). Myself and many others could help on this, but we are kinda lost. (github account has so many repos that I don’t know which should be inside an armbian image or not).

I volunteer myself to write a beginner guide for dreamcatcher v2.03 + Armbian. Feel free to send suggestions / content in this thread (or directly), then I compile into the guide.

's

No worries @mario I heard they were working on an app to get outernet working in armbian ( hopefully they still are??). But at the mo’ far as I know it’s only working via skylark. Seems to me skylark is for outernet only, where’s armbian u can do a lot more other stuff kinda like Debian with apt-get etc

added a link into our documentation, thanks for maintaining this!
https://docs.outernet.is/Radionerds.com%20guide%20of%20Dreamcatcher.html