Outernet LoRa Pager?

Could all of the electronics be mounted in a 3-inch drain pipe and receive LoRa signals from Geosync orbit?

• LNB - how to aim at satellite
  • Receiver board(s) - how to aim?
  • Batteries
  • LCD Display – How many lines? Dot matrix?

What would the message limits look like?
How much work from DreamCatcher 3.0 to get there?

–Konrad, WA4OSH

1 Like

I think you are really asking what can we do with built-in display capabilities on the new v 3.0, My assumption was that the demo - alpha- boards have a plug-n-play 3.5" or so display. This a great improvement from the v 2.0 that really could not directly drive a monitor/display.

My use would want a visual light indicating a message meeting some criteria has been received, and then have a display that I can scroll to read the --alerting message–.

This would mean that the attached display is not a Skylark (all in one program), but limited to the criteria that is user configurable. I know this is not the turn key application that many people are looking for and I expect Outernet to only support their application.

I’m going in that general direction.

I’m looking beyond what DC 2.0 accomplished (receiving news, weather, interesting wikipedia pages, APRS, etc.) But do you really want only one “turnkey” application? Turn it on and it does what DC 2.0 did, but a little faster.

Doesn’t it make sense to have a turn-key application like a phone has (make phone calls), but then have other applications? What would they be? I assumed that people could make that leap of faith.

So my question for discussion is really in two parts:

1. Can Outernet DreamCatcher DC 3.0 have a pager app? If so, what would you use it for and what would it look like?
  • I were in the boonies and someone wanted to sked with me on HF and send me proposed frequencies, a pager app would be very helpful.

• It would be nice to have an message received LED.

• It would be nice to have an alphanumeric/dot matrix display capable of displaying short text messages as well as pictures, etc.

1. Can DC 3.0 be miniaturized and made more portable? What does that entail?
  • Could all of the electronics be mounted in a 3-inch drain pipe?
  • How long would it be?

–Konrad, WA4OSH

2 Likes

Maybe try out Iridium messaging with the RockBLOCK. Using a service that is intended for one-to-many consumption for one-to-one messaging seems unfitting.

Who said that Outernet had to be one-to-many? …and could not carry a destination address for one-to-one or many-to-one messages?

Sure, there are hundreds of other commercial satellite projects out there. RockBLOCK is certainly one that requires a paid account. I don’t have a problem with bothering someone else for attention. :wink: I’m just dreaming, thinking outside of the box, and posting those ideas…

–Konrad, WA4OSH

1 Like

Nobody, I guess. But isn’t that the idea?

Ah, understood. I thought you had an actual problem that you wanted a solution for :wink:

1 Like

It’s the very old saying" there is more than one way to skin a cat" and the way to come up with cool idea sometime entail letting your mind wander or dream :).

1 Like

So can Outernet be many to many? Currently, there’s only one source of the data, the Outernet earth station. But who says that they can’t take input from many sources?

–Konrad, WA4OSH

I was really thinking about localized alerts for the worldwide outernet signals. Something like earthquake/tsunami warnings and maybe an alert when a picture or news story that is geocoded to a location within a specified geographic boundary.

I have found that ‘local’ items always generate greater interest. – not really a profound revelation.

My analogy is How often do you open the encyclopedia? vs read the local news.

I tend to migrate to the source of ‘new’ information. That is what grabs my attention.

1 Like

Yes, by bringing the discussion to the other end, what I was wanting to do was to explore what all could be done with a data broadcast satellite. Yes, I fully understand bandwidth is at a premium and the tendency is to try to find a big one-size-fits-all solution. But there’s so much more to datacasting.

So at one end of the model is one to many broadcasting

• one weather cast for the whole world
  • one featured Wikipedia page
  • one world news cast

In the middle somewhere is a one-to-a-few service. These could be like newsgroups that a reader would subscribe to.

• a pager for a group
  • localized weather
  • localized news
  • tsunami, fire, windstorm or hurricane warnings

At the other end of the model is a one-to-one service.

• a pager for one individual
  • short messages, or even e-mail delivery
    Who says that there has to be only one source?
    News, information, notifications, text messages, e-mails, could be a multitude of sources.

Who says that there can’t be a program schedule?
Or prioritized?

• notifications should be immediate
  • weather and news can come out at various times of the day
  • e-mails and texts can be delivered as quickly as possible around the clock
  • large files such as Wikipedia articles can be downloaded at night.

For what it’s worth.
–Konrad, WA4OSH