Outernet network

So is Outernet essentially a device you can purchase that allows you to have access to offline data such as Khan Academy?

I understand that this doesn’t allow you to have access to the Internet, but is it possible to do p2p downloading provided that two computers are connected to the Outernet network? Is it also possible to also set up a server on one computer and another computer can access the server’s resources if they are both connected to the Outernet network (sorry I don’t understand much about networking)?

1 Like

For now it is a one way data channel from a geostationary satellite down to individual earth stations. If you surf the forums there are all kinds of cool ideas on how to get data and requests back to othernet to get what you want into the satellite down-link but othernet as currently implemented is a receiver only with which you can interact with using a phone or computer over its wifi hotspot.
Also welcome!

1 Like

Are there any plans to implement two way simultaneous connections by any chance?

Othernet has always aimed to use accessible and inexpensive technology both in orbit and on the ground in order that the receiver equipment and thus the service could be made available to an audience who is for the most part near the bottom per capita financially as well as being remote enough to not have another good option for up to date information, education, and news.
Other than amateur radio, which has a very major exception in treaty law that allows us to certify our own radio transmitters including for use with (amateur radio)communications satellites, anything that intentionally emits radio frequency energy needs to be certified by a regulatory authority before it is commercially available as well as setting aside radio frequency, which usually requires a band lease in every nation state that it would be used in. This means that aside from the additional cost of renting a receive transponder on a geostationary satellite a certified transmitter is required, the testing and certification costs money and there is not to my knowledge an inexpensive commercial off the shelf solution at a pricepoint below perhaps an Iridium or INMARSAT satphone network SMS transmitter.
If you browse the forums you will see mention of all kinds of alternative request portals utilizing amateur satellite and space station amateur radio links, mailed flash drives, slow shortwave radio data(wspr), and in any alternatve data situation someone always mentions carrier pigeons!
In my opinion it is best to approach Othernet like a shortwave station in the 20th century, a station would receive postcards with topic requests and could from this few sentences of request devote hours to the requested topics if the station operators had an expert or information source available, except in our case the information is measured in mb over a satellite transponder and is not received live but rather is stored on an updating archive for viewing over WiFi at the receiver. For example if you were a shortwave transmitter station operator I could send you a postcard or SMS requesting you read a long novel over the air, “please read War and Peace.”(a 17 volume work); the request in ASCII takes 208 bits including the words ‘please’ and ‘read’, 104 bits for 13 ASCII characters for just the title and the polite request being assumed could translate into over 100 hours of reading over the air.
As just a somebody on a forum nothing I say is official, I am just someone who has built or bought several generations of receiver and am interested in the tech, Syed is an official voice.

4 Likes