Outernet Test Success in India

Dear all,
Outernet was installed successfully at Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham University, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India on 30 Dec 2015.
Testing done. Downloading data in progress. Will be hosted very soon to access content in side our campus. Then taking into outside.
Thanks all for your support.
R.Gandhiraj

1 Like

I’m very happy to here that. :smile: Are you using ORxPi or Lighthouse?

Using ORxPi.

Are you receiving data from ABS-2 or AsiaSat 5?

Can you connect your ORxPi into a router/switch (Internet connected) using a LAN cable. Then you can see your device on https://status.outernet.is/ . My ORxPi is listed under ABS-2 (74.9E).

Using ABS-2 (74.9E)

1 Like

I think your device is still not listed in the monitoring page. Wait few minutes and see. The device count should be 2 under ABS-2.

dear mr.pradeeka,
What is the signal strength level you got ?
We got as like

How long did you take to download full content of 1 GB DATA/day?
Have you connected external usb/ hard drive successfully ?
Give me a tips to do .
Thanks

Mr.Pradeeka, No I have not connected device with internet.
Accessing content from remote laptop though wifi only.
how to connect internet with outernet module?

about 90 kbps
Don’t worry about the signal and quality bars. Actually you are getting more than that but the receiver is getting wrong values because of the calibration issue in Pi receiver with the tuner.

I’m not sure about 1GB/day.

yes

Just connect your Raspberry Pi with a router/switch using a piece of Ethernet cable. Actually you can connect your Pi to the existing LAN in your campus.

Now downloading in progress. If i disconnect and connect with external pendrive/hard disk, will it start downloading from first / previously downloaded will be accounted…

First, existing contents stored in the SD card will copy in to the external storage. After that download continues from the point that it was stopped.

@gandhiraj Note that you do not need to power down your Pi in order to plug in external storage. When external storage is detected, all software is temporarily stopped, the new storage is set up, data from SD card copied over, and then the software is started again. After that, receiver should be fully operational.

I am accessing raspi content from windows machine. Via WinSCP + PuTTY.
What file system external hardware should have?
how to create that?

@branko
I am accessing raspi content from windows machine. Via WinSCP + PuTTY.
What file system external hardware should have?
how to create that?

The instructions on the wiki are still valid. FAT32 and NTFS are supported for Windows users. NTFS has no support for integrity checks, though, so it is recommended to run disk check on Windows when you need to power down the receiver. For FAT32, integrity check is performed when mounting the disk, but note that some integrity check artifacts may appear in the file list (in the form of .rec files).

@branko

I attempted two ways to connect external usb drive.
Way 1:

1. Base OS - Windows (ON LAPTOP)
  2. 16 GB USB DRIVE > FORMATED > FAT32
  3. REMOVED FROM LAPTOP > CONNECTED ON RASPI2 (WITHOUT RESTART OF PI)> / AND TRIED AFTER RESTARTING TOO
  4. BEFORE CONNECTING USB DRIVE, I COULD ACCESS OUTERNET PAGE (192.168.2.2)
  5. AFTER CONNECTING USB DRIVE ON PI, OUTERNET CONNECTION WAS DISCONNECED.
  6. BECAUSE OF NOT HAVING ACCESS TO THIS I COULD NOT TAKE LOG FILE TOO.

WAY 2

1. Base OS - LINUX UBUNTU (ON LAPTOP)
  2. USING GPARTED 16 GB USB DRIVE WAS FORMATED TO ‘EXT4’ FILE SYSTEM.
  3. REMOVED FROM LAPTOP > CONNECTED ON RASPI2 (WITHOUT RESTART OF PI)> / AND TRIED AFTER RESTARTING TOO
  4. BEFORE CONNECTING USB DRIVE, I COULD ACCESS OUTERNET PAGE (192.168.2.2)
  5. AFTER CONNECTING USB DRIVE ON PI, OUTERNET CONNECTION WAS DISCONNECED.
  6. BECAUSE OF NOT HAVING ACCESS TO THIS I COULD NOT TAKE LOG FILE TOO.

KINDLY GIVE ME A SOLUTIONS TO MAKE PERMANENT SOLUTION TO KEEP THIS SYSTEM ALWAYS ON (POSSIBLE ONLY WHEN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE CONNECTED SUCCESSFULLY)

THANKS.

The web GUI does not become available instantaneously after reconnecting the disk. It may take up to several minutes. Also, you must make sure the disk is correctly labelled or it won’t be used at all.

You can troubleshoot hotplug issues by logging into the device and issuign the following command:

grep hotplug /var/log/messages

@branko
CURRENTLY THE DISK WAS LABELD AS “EXT_STORE” WITH ‘EXT4’ FILE SYSTEM.
SHALL I PROCEED WITH THIS?

Did you label the external drive as ‘EXT_STORE’?