Pointing attenna issues

Well I’ve had a rough time trying to get the new attenna pointed at ses-2 it’s one of the avenger lnb I’ve gathered so far it’s a dual lnb correct me if I’m wrong and I’m trying to find the satlight even with a small cone I’m having a hard time finding the satlight and I’m in upstate NY

Hi Tyler, I looked up Upstate NY, and the wiki I read showed most of NY as being “upstate NY”, including NY City, so I am only taking a guess here as to your location. I picked Buffalo, as it is in the northern part (up). The satellite should be 39.8° above the horizon, and at an azimuth of 191.8° true, or 202.4° magnetic. I don’t know which model avenger you are using, the original was a PLL321S2 and it should work very well. It is a dual polarity unit that switches 11.5-14v and 16-19v, similar to the Maverick I that is issued with the older Dreamcatchers. In your diagnostics screen on the Dreamcatcher, near the bottom of the screen are the measurements for the lnb, should look like this if the unit is working properly:
Check it out and let us know how it looks.

This website (lyngsat) will grab rough location based on your local ISP and will compute the elevation and heading of SES-2 for you.
https://www.lyngsat.com/SES-2.html
Now get a cheap compass with degrees as well as a protractor with a weighted string through the little hole. These will help you find a rough compass bearing and elevation above the horizon to aim the LNB.
If you want to cheat a bit get a cheap TV satellite finder, this is mostly to help fine aim which you DO NOT NEED, you still need to be shooting the correct satellite as a sat-finder will tone on all TV satellites, though when combined with watching the data packet count begin to rise makes finding SES-2(or Astra 3B) pretty easy.
There are also apps like satfinderandroid which you can use to augmented reality the location in the sky with an android phone or tablet.

Hello…it may be because broadcasters usually abandon that frequency band as they only can use it for 2-3 channels, a waste of valuable space in the tower with the needed huge elements. It’s much easier to use UHF or at least high-VHF to use the same antenna system with many more channels in the same combiner.

@AntonyMarsh welcome!
I am not sure what you are referring to. Othernet is a very narrow satellite based Ku band service which many users can can receive with a special receiver and a bare LNB. Othernet does not have a terrestrial low VHF or perhaps even HF mode of any kind, it is difficult to respond though as I do not know what you are referring to or who you are answering.

thanks that sorta worked i think i narrowed the issue down now… i think i got a bad cable or some nasty interferance to deal with now…

@Syed what kind of coax cable does the othernet want between the LNB and the board in oms because I am trying to root out issues if its a interference and I am going to replace the coax cable but i want to get the correct kind that would work the best for the setup. (edit Sorry for the double post).

I have successfully used the avenger lnbf. To help in troubleshooting… in your tuner status screen do you see any “Packets recieved” ?
I usually have to adjust the custom frequency when I setup different lnbf’s.

I use coax 75 ohm RG-6 quad shield and try and keep it to under 30 feet .

What @ac8dg said is correct: RG-6 at less than 30 feet of it.

@ac8dg i was getting packets just fine with the avenger don’t know what got changed but i have new cables ordered ill have them on Sunday…(edit 8/1/20) Ok thanks Amazon got the cable a day early