Problems with DIY L-Band Setup - was working, now isn't?

Good afternoon all,

Received my new dongle and new LNA (both Outernet “brand”). Installed both and got about a 3dB SNR. About 10 minutes later, SNR dropped to nothing and I had an idea - I wonder if the LNA and/or the dongle is getting too hot? It is a sunny day here in Northern Alabama and right at 88 deg F / 31 deg C.

So I got a big fan and pointed right at my RPi, dongle, and LNA. After about three minutes…SNR is back to hovering around 3 dB. I suspect something in my setup is getting too hot and with the fan, I’ve got enough cooling to keep things working properly. :grin:

It has a status of “waiting for data” so I think I’m going to see if I can learn how to put something on the carousel. :slight_smile:

Thanks much,
ben

Good evening all!

Exciting news. Check out this screen shot:

I changed from the Outernet dongle to an RTL-SDR.com V.3 dongle. I have no clue why the huge SNR difference between it and the Outernet dongles (I have a pair of them).

thanks much,
ben

Patch, LNA from Noelec via Outernet, Raspberry Pi 3, rxOS. Pretty vanilla. And apparently good rx condx.

wow!

The RTL-SDR.com radio is a very solid piece of kit.

I’m very impressed with it. I kind of thought that most of these dongles were pretty much the same…being of common components shared among all the different designs.

My setup had a very good night last night:

That so shocks me. 41 thousand packets and only one failed packet! Also saw my photo of Mobile Bay come down. :slight_smile:

thanks much and 73,
ben, kd5byb