Raspberry Pi zero W

Yes - - the Boston Power 5300 will run the CHIP/SDR/LNA for 5 hours. It’s fine for the size of the box it lives in. Other folks have used smaller and larger Lipos with the CHIP and seem to be happy too.

I suggested a CR 2032 style battery (which is too small as it is a 40 mAh device) to point out a small strap-on battery might be all Outernet needs to install to overcome the power hiccups and device moves. Ken

1 Like

I’m intrigued by the CR2032, but the rechargeable ones are not cheap. Seems to be the same prices as an 18650.

I agree, PI 0 W is perfect platform! CHIP is underpowered.

What I don’t want is a custom OS with special flashing. Just give me the debian packages to install on Pixel.

1 Like

How about putting the CHIP to sleep if it’s possible and when it can go to sleep. I have no idea of a schedule. My cat goes to sleep for 10 + hours a day. No power budget ever drawn up!

Now that is an interesting idea. They are AA size, cost about $1 each, and have 1500 - 3500 mAh storage.

As to sleep operation, I think the Lantern needs to run continuously to download files. Not like our lazy cats :blush:

So then, given we use the CR18650 for power hiccups and device moves, we would need a way to put the CHIP into a sleep mode. The CHIP reboot switch is hardwired to do reboots as @Abhishek says , so that won’t work, but perhaps a software routine which recognizes a disruption of external USB power to start a sleep sequence that gets cancelled when USB power is restored. Ken

Just to clarify, this sleep mode should be switchable as we do with the Hot Spot/Local WiFi option. The default would be power on all the time. Ken

You would be very lucky if you get 1500-3500 mah out of a $1-2 18650 cell. Normally these cheap cells coming out of china are between 150-500 mah. Quality cells cost between $7-10/cell. But if you use 18650 cells there is no need for a sleep function as even a single 3500 mah cell is enough to run a receiver for a couple hours. I would also like to point out that cold temperatures can cut the available power to about half their actual capacity.

Yes true - - but the idea is a smaller size Lipo (maybe the same cost) than the big Boston Power 5300 or some of the other Lipos folks are using.

A AA size battery would fit handily into the old Lighthouse sized enclosure if that’s what Outernet is trending toward with its single board concept. Ken

A 14500 lithium cell is exactly the same size as a AA. They are mass produced now because of e-cigs. They range from 750-900 mah. Finding a lipo that size will be a little bit harder since they are normally produced specifically for a product.

That would not be useful as it would not be able to receive and store the data when it is asleep.
Even when you want to connect it on the WiFi only during part of the day, you want it to receive
the satellite all the time.

Is it possible to get the new Outernet SDR board somewhere whithout the need to buy a CHIP? Id like to connect it to a Raspberry Pi using the RPi as server because I can connect it to the broadband LAN then.

Unfortunately, all of the SDRxes are spoken for at the moment. We have second protos of our integrated receiver going through engineering review, which includes the A13 (SoC on CHIP) on the same board as the SDR.

Is the CHIP board soldered to the SDRx-board or is it possible to connect the SDRx to a Raspberry pi via USB, I2C, etc?

The SoC is soldered on to the board.

Clarification:

for SDRx - the board seen in We Moved! (picture in the first post) can be connected to RPI or PC etc using a USB-MicroUSB cable, as seen in picture as well. CHIP is not soldered to it, its simply attached via usb cable.

for Dreamcatcher, the board seen in We Moved!, is fully integrated.