rxOS 3.0/Outernet in a Box r2: Please Update Your Receiver!

Are you already away from Zagreb? I’d have liked to see what was wrong with the signal there.

I’m still in Zagreb for another 9 hours. It is 2100 local here - - dark and overcast with the moon shining thru the clouds. I’ll use an elevation of 36.5 deg and magnetic azimuth of 163.8 deg. I’ll double check my pointing with Satellite Director on my android.

Shall I proceed? Ken

yes please.

Back in 30 minutes. Ken

Here’s a picture of the sky - - satellite is halfway to left of moon to side of picture and slightly higher:

You can see the buildings well below the moon. I swung the Lantern around and never got the meter reading saying a signal was received (the xxxxxs were showing). Highest signal level was as shown below, but I don’t think it is meaningful:

Over, Ken

Got to go now. I’ll retry my Lantern from Washington when I get back and report. I know what I should get at all the usual spots there. Ken

Ken,

All this traveling, I suspect your equipment may have been slightly damaged.

The most likely thing would be the very thin CoAxial cable on your L-Band antenna.

Can you do a visual inspection of where the center wire of the Coax connect to the aluminum antenna plate?

What about the Coaxial ground wire?

Can you get a multi meter and do a continuity check on ground plane section of antenna.

Can you do a continuity check of the main feed of the antenna to the center pin of the sma connector.

Hi Ken,

Which SDR dongle are you using?

Zoltan

Hi Zoltan - - I’m using the Alpha Lantern. I want to take the pre-production box thru its paces out in the field. So far Version 2.0 worked great on land in Croatia, and at sea in the Adriatic.

At home, I connect the antenna/amp/SDR the Lantern came with to Outernet In A Box on my Windows 10 machine running Oracle’s VirtualBox software to verify performance. But generally I keep the Lantern running in its native mode on my deck under a plastic storage container plugged into a 2 watt USB wall wart.

As you may have gathered, the Lantern stopped receiving right after I upgraded to 3.0. It happened before when I went from 1.0 to 2.0, and Syed had to replace the CHIP because I went back to the previous version before he told me not to. I didn’t do it this time, but if Abhishek is correct that the software is OK (and when I get home and verify the antenna/amp/SDR), then the problem has to lye in the CHIP again. We’ll see tomorrow. Thanks, Ken

Problem Fixed

Seasalt nailed it - - a loose SMA Male connector on the end of the Patch Antenna cable. Though I finger tightened it, it was not square on the female connector on the amplifier, and thus not making a good tight connection. I found it when I took the whole Lantern apart to connect the RF components up to my Outernet In A Box.

I feel dumb missing that and not being able to finish reception reports on this trip. :sleepy: Ken