Sim card version

OK so I realise the core use case is where there is no internet.

But actually, there are many places where the problem is affordable internet.

I spotted this service Which includes a free tier for global use (up to 1Mb)

They seem up for their services being used to request content for outernet Dev cards & human restriction? - #2 by ChrisGammell - General Projects and Community - Hologram Support Community

So the addition of a $15 sim dongle and a bit of software magic might be an interesting add on for some use cases…

This brings up a good discussion topic on what outgoing information from an outernet device should support.

1. Telemetry on the device status (already implemented ? )
  2. Rsync file synchronization to ensure it is up to date.
  3. SMS or similar outgoing messages.
  4. A network bridge between the wifi browser function and a second network connection (sim card or ethernet)
  5. An id number or address assigned to each outernet device.
  6. Enhanced Security
  7. Remote Admin features like changing tuner settings or disabling a failed device.
  8. Who would support/filter requests for changes in the download content.

I’ve run into a few of these “problems” with internet of things (IOT) devices and I am waiting for the future when home devices like webcams, thermostats, fire alarms have it all figured out.

Bear in mind that 1Mb is fairly limited

Rsync file synchronization to ensure it is up to date.

This would very quickly burn through 1Mb

SMS or similar outgoing messages.

Yes, but not arbitrary messages. Just requesting a specific bit of content

Who would support/filter requests for changes in the download content.

I think this has to be a machine/script. The simplest to implement I think would be a Wikipedia search.

So the device can just send email (through a web form) to ‘[email protected]

With the format:

Language (FR, ES, EN etc)

Search term: XYZ

The script searches wikipedia for XYZ and broadcasts the resulting page (if any)

Bandwidth permitting you could also follow the links and broadcast each of the linked pages.

Hologram of course relies on cellular connectivity, which even in the US is not 100% coverage, but only covers a fraction of where all the subs are.

The real challenge is how to provide data where there is no terrestrial data service, eg. cellular.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

One of the challenges is to make a useful device for people in areas where they cannot afford internet.

1 Like