Skylark 5.5 for Dreamcatcher 3

If you are using Armbian on the Dreamcatcher then yes, you can do an “apt-get update” and get all updates - but that is over normal internet. Othernet reception is not possible when using Armbian.

For receiving Othernet, you need to use Skylark OS, from here. That is not a debian system and is not updated via apt-get.

@Syed @Abhishek : What is the approximate 100% load time beginning at nothing, from carousel to DreamCatcher, assuming 100% valid packets and a bitrate over 20,000? Thanks. Jerry

depends on file sizes

Right, understanding that can vary a great deal. However, I am merely looking for an average day, assuming a start up with a fresh OS and sd card and nothing previously downloaded, such as if we picked yesterday or Saturday, how long for example, if we started up at sunup, say 0645 would it take to get the unit up to the average speed and full current load, understanding that there will be updates along the way, etc., such as a sample of a random period of the day. I know that in one of my field tests, my 3.03 running 5.2 took about an hour and a half to come up to date (current) with most of the news feeds. I know that the weather lagged because of the frequency of how often it is loaded.

there really isn’t anything like that - a new news pack goes out every hour, Weather goes out every 6 hours (and I am looking to speed that up, but the noaa sources are currently going thru a messy tech stack transition, so not the right time time to pursue it), messages go out every few minutes, Wikipedia goes out on a somewhat random basis. So there really isn’t any point of time you can say “the receiver is caught up”.

1 Like

OK, thanks for the explanation. J.

@Abhishek did you ever get the othernet skylark image fixed for fresh installs so they don’t need a old version to get the receiver out of the suck ap mode for fresh installs?

No, there haven’t been any new releases yet. But you should be able to get it to work (without using an older release) by using the browser clearing procedure from this post:

Could you make the version more identifiable . It shows only in very small font in the lower right corner as Skylark 5.5 main screen… … and make the home main screen little blue menu square/circle called applications much more prominent.

Or… make a big clickable button… “Start-Here”

If the ‘app’ called ‘About Skylark’ could clearly reference the running version it would be a benefit

the version is included in the web page title - so its shown in the browser tab and if its the current tab, its also shown in the window name (depends on OS and browser, of course):

1 Like

@Syed
@Abhishek
@kenbarbi
Where are all these folks who were asking about coverage for Europe? None have shown up on the Othernet Status Dashboard yet. Have we sold DreamCatchers to that market? Just wondering…
Jerry

I’ve got a DC 3.03…unfortuately I’m flat out busy this weekend, and most of next week…however if I get time to get my DC and LNB ont he bench, then I will :slight_smile:

So I fired it up on 5.5 (Can’t find a lead for the LNB…I have ordered one!) and it’s already put me up on the status map…Sods law says I’ll find one after the one I’ve ordered arrives!

1 Like

Good to see you trying, Mark! Keep us posted!
Jerry

I have had my latest sd card running since 07 Feb 2019. Most of the download directories seem to self clean the old stuff after approximately 5 days or so… Except the wikipedia folder.

I now have 1549 files 654.8 MB in the wikipedia folder. While this is not really causing a problem… it is not categorized or really indexed in any way, except if you search – then only words in the ‘title’ of the articles are found.

I think something could be improved if these are going to be kept… otherwise they quickly become out of date. I would recommend put them on the ‘purge’ cycle like all the other download files.

A quick note for those viewing my port forwarded Skylark 5.5 at 71.206.20.63

If you want to look at my Tuner Status from the Guest Logon, close the Tuner Application Error screen you get when you select the Tuner Tab, then go to the status screen and you’ll get the latest reception data. Ken

Thanks for that tip, Ken!

Due to the authorization popup when opening the Tuner app when logged in as ‘guest’, I relegated myself to always logging in as ‘othernet’ when I wanted to check Tuner Status. I never thought to simply click through the error and then try the Status tab.

w

1 Like

Glad to help, Will. I changed my admin password before I put my Dreamcatcher on line so it couldn’t be changed. So far, my system has worked flawlessly both locally (thru my network) and remotely by the internet. I gives me a chance to monitor performance when I’m traveling. Originally, I was concerned that too many people running up my DC would slow it down, but Syed assured me that wouldn’t happen - - and it hasn’t! Ken

Ken, what is the procedure to change or disable the admin (or othernet user) password. Can this be done from the Skylark 5.5 web page or did you SSH into the dreamcatcher ?

ssh