Skylark 5.6 for Dreamcatcher 3

My 3.05 worked fine on version 5.5 for 24hours, then 5.6 was released so I upgraded to 5.6 and it crashed twice in the next 3 hours, it took two full reset of configuration and full re-image the boot partition, It has now held on for 26 hours.

So yes it is a lockup problem for older dreamcatchers (my 3.03) but ALSO on my 3.05. Still gathering troubleshooting clues.

Oh, Iā€™m sorry about not realizing that it was the 3.05 that was also crashing. In both cases, this is something being looked into.

Hi Jim - - I was thinking about redoing a new OS micro SD Card with SK 5.6 as you have done to see if that made a difference. Let us all know if your system holds up. Ken

There is the option of routing a cable outside of the enclosure so that a standard LNB (and cone) can be used.

Itā€™s not a matter of convenience. Itā€™s a matter of cost, which includes shipping volume and shipping weight, as well as tooling costs for very large pieces of plasticā€“and complexity of the design.

For you, the convenience of not having to address this in your design is your prerogative, but does not relieve the situation for the end user, who is, by the way, in the total perspective, paying your wagesā€¦

Actually, our retail Dreamcatcher sales are not particularly profitable. The part of the business that pays the bills is from other revenue lines.

ok, have a lockup on my 3.05 running 5.6,
The led 6 closest to the coax fitting is lock-on solid
It is no longer receiving/decoding packets, the number of packs received has stalled
New this testā€¦ I have wifi access to the dc/skylarkā€¦
tuner app status page:

then here is diagonsticsā€“

I donā€™t know what else to showā€¦

Edit:-- waited 20 minutesā€¦ unplugged it, plugged back in, it restarted without any changes
my 3.03 running 5.5 never was interruptedā€¦ so power/weather/lightning can be ruled out as causes

1 Like

@Syed
@Abhishek
Incidentally, my 3.02Q (older Dream Catcher) on Skylark v5.6 crashed again this afternoon.

one more crash overnight, so I trying a new sd card in case the old one had some problem.

on initial boot/logonā€¦ I noticed the wifi hotspot defaults to world channel 6ā€¦
could the choice of location country (world/default) be causing a conflict with my wifi network
that is set to country code location US ? I did set the hotspot config to my country before setting
up the wifi client login credentials (this timeā€¦ donā€™t remember setting it before)

When running Skylark 5.6 on the Dreamcatcher v3.05 and the new LNB, which LNB should NA and EU users select?

Maverick 1 is the default. Ken

The new LNB is the Othernet Dual Band. That should be selected regardless of location (if that is the LNB being used).

Thank you - - right now I am using the Maverick LNB on my dish, and will change it out tomorrow with the new LNB. Iā€™ll make the new LNB selection then. Ken

The Secret of Returning to the AP Mode

Just to clarify @Abhishek returning the Dreamcatcher v3.05 to the AP Mode - - one presses and releases (after less than 1 second) the PB1 button on the left - -
The LED1 Function (far right under SD2 card slot) lights green. Then one waits until all the LEDs turn solid color. At that point, you power off the Dreamcatcher, and restart it to be in the AP Mode. Ken

@ac8dg @maxboysdad We are building a new rx-monitoring/development station to catch the crash points, which are inconsistent. I should be done with it this afternoon.

@kenbarbi Yes, press PB1, which causes LED1 to light up green. After 7 seconds of LED1 flashing, the Dreamcatcher will reboot by itself. No additional user input is required.

Thank you!

Installed New LNB

I installed the new LNB today on my Dreamcatcher v3.05 running Skylark 5.6. Reception is as good as the Maverick was. My new LNB is installed 500 ft out from my Dreamcatcher on an 80 cm offset dish. The new configuration has the same limitations as before in that it will not work thru my motor drive. The last Dteamcatcher that worked thru my motor drive was the v3.02Q. Ken

good news , using a clean sd card for 5.6 is working 1 1/2 days on-line
diagnistics:
Skylark v5.6 / dc (227b825)
built at 2019-09-25 18:19:29+00:00

Copyright 2019 Othernet Inc
Some rights reserved.

Fri Oct 4 00:28:26 UTC 2019 up 1 day, 12:36, load average: 0.38, 0.52, 0.59

Edit~ 05 Oct 2019-- Better news now up almost 3 days-- no lockups
Sat Oct 5 10:20:28 UTC 2019 up 2 days, 22:28, load average: 0.76, 0.77, 0.72

My vote is to not just overwrite an old/existing sd card unless you fully clean it

@Abhishek
@Syed
Another crash on the 3.02Q last night.

Iā€™ve been doing hot swap outs of my LNBs without a problem - - I have an AB F-type connector switch. My Dreamcatcher v3ā€¦05 has been stable with Skylark 5.6, and Iā€™m using the same micro SD card I used before on my DC v3.03 which kept failing.

Will keep monitoring performance and report as necessary. Ken

Jim @ac8dg appears to be the only one with a lockup on the new Dreamcatcher v3.05 Board. Many have had lockups on DC v3.02Q and v3.03 Boards. Am I correct in that assumption Forum Members? Ken

My 3.03 DC is running fine for over 4 Days now, maybe @Syed / @Abhishek can figure out with that different behaviour what the Problem is.

Iā€™m inclined to believe that Skylark 5.6 being written for the new Dreamcatcher v3.05 may not be completely backward compatible to the older Dreamcatcher v3.03 and v 3.02Qs.

That said, the DC v3.02Q and v3.03 may have to live with SK 5.5. This is OK - - but perhaps SK 5.5 can be rewritten as a SK 5.5a to fix some of its problems, but forward movement of Othernet is critical.

With the new DC v3.05 and SK 5.6, we may be on the cusp of a new adventure. What do Forum Members think about this idea? Ken

1 Like