Strong signal during the day weak signal at night, dreamcatcher

So here is the problem, I have been running the dreamcatcher for quite awhile now, few months. It is outside on top of a shed inside a watertight container. It is hooked up to a battery and solar power. As night comes the signal goes from a strong SNR of 13-14 dB to a very weak 0-2. But here is the kicker it does not drop all at once, but gradually goes from 14 to 0 from sundown to sunrise. But then it jumps straight back up right around sunrise. I would think it would be the solar power and the battery, but we are running a 300 watt solar panel, and a 45 amp hour battery. So with it pulling around 3 amps, it should not effect it for a few days. And this problem does not happen when it is storming outside. We have also assembled another outernet using a raspberry pi3 and the old patch antenna, this one is just laying haphazardly on the ground pointed in the general direction of the satellite. It is getting a very strong SNR of 14 dB while the Dreamcatcher is getting an SNR of 6 dB, time here in Texas is currently 2015 (8:15pm). We have tried everything from switching over to house power, to changing the position of the antenna to changing all of the cables in-between all of the connections. I have run out of ideas, can anyone help?

Thanks in advanced, Texan

Put the Raspi receiver near the same place as the dreamcatcher and see if its the same… Rule out local near source interference.

Run the dreamcatcher Just on battery for a day and night. Rule out something with the panel, power / ground loops etc

Streetlights, light activated/deactivated systems casing interference?

Condensation in the antenna case?

1 Like

Another thought - - when you record SNR, jot down the Rssi levels too. I have found in my travels the same problem of hi-low SNRs, but discovered night time interference occurred (maybe some one close by turned on a satellite receiver on something). That should show up as a low SNR with a higher Rssi a night versus what you might get during the day.

Interference differences also occur between the Raspberry Pi box and the Dreamcatcher in the way the boards are shielded with different materials, and where the rf components are located on the Dreamcatcher. As an example, ABS plastics are stronger rf attenuaters than lunch box plastics. Ken