Target audience - who does not have Internet and why

Continuing the unanswered question/discussion from Target audience and resources:

Here’s a reference I’ve been reading…
Internet for All A Framework for Accelerating Internet Access and Adoption

Here are some of the highlights

The study found that there are four major reasons people don’t have the Internet:

1. Infrastructure
    No electricity
    No 3G coverage
    No fiber, cable or DSL

2. Affordability
    Poverty
    Broadband not affordable

3. Skills, awareness and cultural acceptance
    Illiteracy
    Women less connected

4. Local adoption and use
    Language barrier

What can Outernet do to address these market segments:
Infrastructure

• Satellites can reach where cellphones, fiber, cable and DSL can’t reach

Affordability

• The solution needs to be very inexpensive. How can it be cost-reduced?

Skills, awareness and cultural acceptance

• Can literacy be taught by Outernet? I think that the materials to help people learn to read can be distributed. The news in simple language is an excellent way to begin reading.

Local adoption and use

• can a new language be taught? I have learned four languages in my life (German, French, English and Spanish) and I’m slowly working on a fifth - Russian.
  • Homeschooling materials

I think that learning new languages should be part of the database that’s sent out with the Outernet units (Lanterns?).

I think there are quite a few overlooked target audiences in the US (and the rest of the world)

1. Off grid folks
  2. Tiny home residents
  3. Full-Time RV’ers

Your comments…
–Konrad, WA4OSH

1. No electricity
    –This is why we’ve focused on the 5V power supplies. Although there is much of the world that does not have even 3G coverage yet, lots and lots of places have 2G, which means phones that use USB chargers.

2. Affordability
    –This is why a free channel is so critical. Just like tv and radio.
    –We’re targeting an eventual $20 price point, but we’ll need real volume to get there.

3). Skills, awareness, and cultural acceptance
–Send adult educational as well as children’s educational content
–Deliver a normal radio broadcast, as well as video file delivery

1. Local adoption and use
    –Multiple languages; or separate channels for specific languages
1 Like

Let’s not forget packaging. The original concept was a nice small cube that did it all - - and then the Lantern plastic enclosure arrived, and worked fine with the old CHIP until the Dreamcatcher came along.

Because interest in Outernet has been focused on radio amateurs and computer geeks (excuse me - - I’m one), there is not a deliverable package one could carry into the field and leave behind. Some of us have made very practical enclosures, but there is still not a complete package one could order on-line.

If such a package was available, it would have to be completely set up and tested to make sure it will work. I’m making one for myself that includes external storage, but Outernet needs to make and sell a standardized deliverable package. Ken

1 Like

@kenbarbi Agreed.

1 Like

@Syed

1. No electricity → Off grid, with limited solar, wind and micro-hydro power?
    “Phone that use USB chargers” Is a smart phone or tablet your target display/playback device?
    Wi-Fi has a lot of range when using the slowest of data rates. Eg. 802.11b at 1 or 2 Mbps.
    I guess it’s a trade-off between Outernet Access Point and range to the display device, but I would have imagined a more efficient Wi-Fi antenna would be key.

Source: Wi-Fi Handbook

1. Affordability
    → This is as challenging as the $100 laptop problem. Of course you need to leverage things that are already being made in massive production quantities. Yes, I understand that integrating as much as possible will be a good thing.

2. Skills, awareness, and cultural awareness
    → Content is king. People have asked me why would I need one of these things if people already have AM/FM radios and TV’s? Well, because the service provides things that you don’t get from radio or TV. Most importantly to me, accurate information that comes with a Neutral Point Of View.

3. Local adoption and use
    I agree. The language barrier is a real challenge.