The Outernet SDRx L-band RTLSDR is Brilliant!

At the risk of sounding like I’ve something to gain from plugging this receiver - I’ll go ahead anyway.
Got this out of the box yesterday, plugged it in, and even with my tinfoil antenna I made previously, signals all over the shop, clean and stable. The band the SAW filter allows through is packed full of satellites, clean, clear and no other noise interfering with reception.

I’ve never seen this kind of stability with my other SDRs, and I’ve a HackRF and several other of the dongles. There is no drift I can detect at all - beyond Doppler.

This thing picks up even the faintest signal, and it’s clear as a bell. Inmarsats and any other sats in this band, even indoors I’m getting STD-C messages decoding perfectly. I’m shocked that a receiver this sensitive and stable is this price ($15). If it performs 1/10000th as well on other bands, then it’d easily overtake all of my SDRs hands down - I haven’t yet used the bypass, but frankly I’m going to keep this one as my L band receiver.

A beautiful receiver, clean, sensitive, and a stupidly low price. My suggestion is to grab one before they’re gone. If you thought any of the other SDRs were sensitive - plug in the Outernet SDRx and prepare to look at your old SDR with disdain.

If you know the orbital parameters of the LEO satellite you are tracking (Geosynch and Geostat don’t have a lot of doppler), you can correct for that with the combination of SDR# and Orbitron.

Check out this instructional video series:

–Konrad

G’day Jacob!
You’ve inspired me to pull my finger out and start using the SDRx as well…
What software are you using for your STD-C monitoring? On Windows? Linux?
I hope I can use the passive Outernet patch antenna (and the active one as well) pointed to POR, I’m in Melbourne Australia
Thanx
Luigi M

1 Like

I use a Llinux laptop. GQRX is a good package. I can do custom things with Gnu Radio Companion as well.
SDR# ought to work. SDRx looks like an RTL-SDR.

–Konrad