Unable to get signal

Hello,

a few ideas from France

• Do you use ext. battery or adapter ? some low cost power supplies generate noise/harmonics i have one generating 2dB loss…

• I have troubles with windows, now my whole installation is outside in a small waterproof plastic box (with insertion loss too :wink: i have to test different plastics)

• as other users in the forum, my best value (currently over 5dB) is totally not on the strict dishpointer position !!! currently more perpendicular to the ground with a little tilt angle

• close devices : avoid to have cheap power adapter or other electronic stuff close to the LNA/SDR

I hope this could help you

Best regards,

Fabrice F4GXP

Let’s test the LNA next; are you see a difference in GQRX when you add/remove the LNA?

Andre, to test the LNA you need to be able to turn on the bias tee voltage from the RTL dongle.

See this section:
Feature 2: Software Selectable Bias Tee RTL-SDR Blog V.3. Dongles User Guide

Follow instructions to run the code to turn on the voltage to power the LNA. Then test again. Look for increased signal compared to no LNA in line. If it is the same or less, then maybe the LNA is bad.

Hi,

I tried to add LNA into chain mac - rtl -lna - ant . I don’t see increase of signal I would say its less. And also I don’t see red indicator on compare when connected LNA with outernet kit.

i was not able to run software to turn on voltage on mac

If you can have access to a Windows PC, the software for that is already compiled and ready to run. Same link.

Than you. I have SDR program installed on my win 10 but I don’t have it with me now. The battery I am using “allpowers” solar charger with 10000 ma with usb output 5v 2.1a

Hi,
I was able to install win program. rtl-lna-ant I can manage red indicator on and off my command line.
Not sure what will be next step to verify
Thank you

I had posted the following in another thread. @k5ted tried it on His system and had good results. You may want to try this as well.

-C

I found that the USB on the CHIP was just a giant noise source. I didn’t put a spectrum analyzer on it but when I added a 3ft USB A-B extension wound three turns on a snap on core it really choked the noise off in the receiver. I was having issues getting a lock with the patch antenna and SNR in the 2-3 range, after the hack I am getting 6-7 SNR in the same spot indoors looking through a window. I had tried several USB power connectors including a true apple part and it did not make any difference.

I also did a quick and dirty shielding job on the PA. 2-3 wraps in packing tape and bubble wrap then covered the whole mess in two layers of thick Al foil. I thought of doing the same thing with the CHIP but I was holding off until I am sure Skylark is stable.

-Cecil
AA5CE

I get a much better SNR looking through my roof (wood construction) than I do through our windows. Did some on-line research about signal attenuation through various building materials and discovered that some window glass types, e.g. low-e or other coatings, or dual or triple pane, may have a high degree of attenuation.

It will pay to experiment. I just couldn’t get a usable signal though our windows but now have 6 plus dB through the roof.

1 Like

Connected usb extension cable between chip and sdr. Unfortunately have not noticed much difference. Even did go outside in open are temp -20C.

did another test. connected ant - rtl - usb laptop running sdr. certainly around 1538.xxx.xxx 1539.xxx.xx when point ant direction to sat I am getting some activity even iside house. but with when lna connected and bias on red light I don’t see any.

Something is wrong. Can you contact us through the website for a replacement?

Hi Syed,

Thank you

I submitter over web site with my order ##

Best regards,

Andre

Hi Syed!
Thank you.
I got package and guess what I was able to get signal ~3.5 db inside my house behind glass window and trees. Now downloading content from the sat. Will continue to explore.

Andrey

1 Like

Glad to see that you are up and running.

Why can’t we leave the receiver outside in a plastic box? Does that interfere with the signal? Can we put the receiver outside and run a cable to the other part? (I’m still learning the terms here.)

If by testing outside, you get 5dB SNR or better, you should be OK to use an extension to separate the Antenna/LNA combo in a weathertight box, from the RTL/CHIP combo inside the house. I tested with 25 feet of LMR-240 and it worked fine.

Ok. Thank you. I am going to update chip with new system. I have cable outside from sat dish I hope I can use.

That was an “IF you can’t leave it out there” quote :wink:
During this time of Alpha testing it is good to subject it to hot & cold etc. so , as long as it is weatherproof, leave it outside!
:slight_smile:
I have trouble getting power to mine outside safely, (in soggy England) so I have coax to the antenna, which is outside