USB0 IP clash with WLAN

I was setting up the kit to join my wireless network, it joins fine but there’s no access.
After poking around i realised that the USB0 interface ip 10.10.10.10/24 clashes with my wireless lan network. the USB0 interface appears to have priority and any traffic that tries to go back over my wlan goes over the usb network interface.

I have tried editing the various config files to move usb0 to another network range in /etc and in /mnt/conf
conf.d/dnsmasq/sta.conf
conf.d/dnsmasq/ap.conf
dnsmasq.conf
network/profiles.d/usb0

However on reboot the changes were not persistent.
Using the serial console and doing a ifconfig usb0 down is the only way to get it to work on my lan.
Am i missing something on making filesystem config changes persistent so that changes to the usb0 config file are kept across reboots.

I would also like to make a suggestion that the usb0 interface IP range should be changed to a non standard range that is unlikely to crash with a regular wifi network.
Something in the high 192.168 range like 192.168.250.0/24 is unlikely to crash with home router defaults. Shrinking the subnet down to a /30 would also help to prevent clashes.

If you are issuing class A addresses to your network you either know what you are doing or are connected directly to your cable modem.

Presuming the former; make a static IP entry in your DHCP hosts file so that a different IP address gets issued to the CHIP’s MAC address.

Assuming the later; you’re SOL. Put a router between you and the cable modem (you should do this anyway!!!).

1. classes don’t exist since subnetting and CIDR. You can use any network range with a particular subnet. Its not uncommon to use 10.10.10.0/24 in lan space. As i said its a 10.10.10.0/24 which is a 255.255.255.0 subnet.

2. DHCP won’t make a difference unless i move my insecure network from the 10.10.10.0/24 range. the usb0 interface is on the 10.10.10.0/24 network and because its seen as a wired lan it has a lower METRIC value then wifi.

3. cable modem has nothing to do with anything here.

4. i am looking at building the firmware myself now but an alternative option from someone who knows more about the internals of the OS would be useful.

So i found a solution without recompiling. it’s not neat and it does stop the usb networking from working as its not possible to modify the /etc/conf.d/dnsmasq files. but atleast when the wifi is joined to a 10.10.10.0/24 network the device will be accessable over wifi

remove the usb0 config simlink
$rm /mnt/conf/etc/network/interfaces.d/usb0
copy the base file from /etc to the conf partition
$cp /etc/network/profiles.d/usb0 /mnt/conf/etc/network/interfaces.d/usb0
make needed changes to /etc/network/profiles.d/usb0 /mnt/conf/etc/network/interfaces.d/usb0
$sync
$reboot