Using DirecTV dish and swapping out LNB with the outernet one?

Can a direcTV antenna be used (as it is Ku-band, or at least part) and me just install the LNB (and of course steer it) or is there some reason why it’s better to just point directly at the satellite with the LNB and add a bit of a conductive cone if needed?

You will receive a better signal using a dish since it is collecting more of the signal. The standard directv lnb would have to be replaced is it is circular polarization and slightly off frequency.

The intent of outernet was to make a system that did not “require” a dish, but if one is available locally, by all means it should be used. The building of cones is just a work-around for users that want a good signal and don’t have a dish.

I am currently using a DirectTV antenna and have been happy with the performance. I get anywhere from +2 - +4 db in South Dakota.

Thanks everyone. Yeah, it was there as I was so dissatisfied with technical issues with the 4k crap from DirecTV and my ability to get shows in other methods and my increased viewing of Youtube at the expense of EVER watching TV did in DirecTV. Whereas they get back their boxes they leave the dish and LNB. so… bonus! I’ll have to rewire to avoid splitters I’d guess but that’ll be fairly straighforward.

1 Like

This YouTube video shows you how to adapt a linear LNB (like the one for Outernet) onto a dish previously used for DishNetwork or DirecTV. These use circular-polarized LNBs. The LNB needs to be swapped out. This video shows you how:

How to convert and install a old trashed DTV satellite dish to a FTA Dish

This guy has a whole satellite-TV antenna farm. It’s pretty interesting to watch.

Bonus! I haven’t done this yet, but there’s FTA programming on SES-2. Maybe @kenbarbi can fill us in.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

For people trying to mount a lnb onto the rectangular arm used in some Directv and Dish-tv dishes.

This lnb is the correct frequency and local oscillator that fits into the rectangular arm. It keeps everything at the focal distance and pointed to the center of the dish. There are some downsides… it is not PLL so not as good as the maverick mk-1 that outernet ships. and to “skew” the orientation, the entire dish mount must be rotated.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIEWSAT-KU-BAND-LINEAR-DUAL-LNB-FSS-SATELLITE-LNBF/261776125143

1 Like

Unfortunately, the programming that is not encrypted on SES-2 are CNN news feeds. It has always fascinated me how the news anchors primp themselves before going on the air :joy: Ken

1 Like

I haven’t completed it yet but my dish has adjustable skew so it should be usable for this app if I have the (minimal) elevation clearance of 27 deg…

I haven’t looked lately, but SES-2 may have some circularly polarized feeds I can’t see when I go linear. Ken

It looks like all of the TPs listed are linear.
https://www.lyngsat.com/SES-2.html

Why would they want to mix circular and linear polarizations on the same bird?

–Konrad, WA4OSH

1 Like

How come “our” TP 10 says nothing except at the last box, it says
Anonymous
At least it should say “Experimental Outernet Service”

Because they only report on TV and Radio broadcasts, not data. I tried.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

Soooo… days and days later I have it up and running. I haven’t tried the audio. I have around -12.5 dB signal to noise ratio… to sequeak out better is almost impossible. I have a low inclination from the NW and I had to skew the dish much more than I though I needed to but it could be how I’m measuring it. I am basically pointing right up my roofline so it is as good as it gets. being a lower bird just makes it next to impossible to optimize wiht hills and trees to my SE so wysywig.
THe news feed is good’n’ fast and lotsa APRS. Soooo… I guess it’s… better? I found it tougher to use and that will be a problem with folks who aren’t good at technical stuff. The feeds are faster so I guess I’m glad about that as that was the whole point. I guess we’ll see how this all plays out.

1 Like

I’m in Seattle. SES-2 is almost South West from here and fairly low at 26 degrees elev. We have loads of trees here.

The data rate is significantly faster.

I don’t things changed that much at the application layer. It’s literally the same as DC 2.0x

–Konrad, WA4OSH

2 Likes