War of the Worlds

Don’t forget Syed @Syed, October is the month to run Orson Welles famous 1938 dramatic radio adaptation of H.G. Wells War of the Worlds broadcast on Othernet Radio as you did last year :heart_eyes:

Ken

5 Likes

Ha. Abhishek and I were just talking about this.

1 Like

It’s getting closer - -

Good test for Othernet Radio - - hope you can fit it on line in the EU. Ken

PS The original The War of the Worlds story by H.G. Wells recounts a Martian invasion of Great Britain around the turn of the 20th century.

1 Like

@kenbarbi: do you, or anyone else on the forum, have a new free rendition of War of the worlds we could broadcast this year? I can repeat the one from last year, but something new would be cool.

1 Like

Yes I have a good copy I obtained from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:War_of_the_Worlds_1938_Radio_broadcast_full.opus

I put a downloaded copy on one of my Web Servers at: http://davs.org/War_of_the_Worlds_1938_Radio_broadcast_full.opus.mp3

You can save the audio file from my site. Ken

1 Like

Oops

Here’s the un-truncated version of the Mercury Theatre On the Air of the October 30, 1938, broadcast of 28 year old, Orson Welles’ The War of the Worlds - - http://davs.org/War%20of%20the%20Worlds.mp3

Sorry for the error, please use this. Ken

1 Like

I believe that including rolling stored or live entertainment content like this and VOA1 will help drive adoption and acceptance. With this fun free satellite service the kids also get educational content vs selling it as exclusively educational/humanitarian/utilitarian. I wonder what official contact with the American Library Association even just for advice on getting a bundle of popular ebooks and even more useful audiobooks on a weekly or monthly ‘loan’ rotation.
“A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.”

Maybe off-topic, but how about some “fun” daily games like Sudoku or crossword to generate that interest in checking the othernet box to see what is happening today ?

2 Likes

ac8dg, when I was a kid I remember many people buying the newspaper to read the fluff pages and comics, that newspaper still had room for the science section and hard news as well as crop reports and weather.
I went for my MBA after having done some jobs including engineering and hopping through some tech startups and analyzing why they failed. Enthusiastic geek startups are historically terrible at anticipating what the public wants or in RMS fashion are too parochial in their purity of the project; even if I happen to love the hacky stuff from startups that always seems to get bought out and mainstreamed or just fails. It is the same reason most people never start a business, get their pilot’s license, or their amateur radio callsign. But if we can sneak that content in with something that exhausted parents or an elder can be convinced to buy with their own money. The balance point is to provide the intended payload to the target audience while also leaving out enough bait that others will subsidize the ‘entertainment’ receiver, also the copyright issues with ‘good bait’.
Look around the developing world to see the rusting FTA c-band tv dishes.

1 Like

I wonder if https://www.humblebundle.com/ would be interested in having the content they have already gathered(maybe excepting games and other large footprint contents) go out over the satellite in hopes of establishing a foothold using their optional donation model as well as being able to honk their good guy horn.
It seems wise to outsource as much of worrying about copyrighted content as possible by partnering with such an entity as is done with VOA1. I am sure if they were given a data budget they would be able to pick out a suitable ‘bundle’.
Two Nebula award winning sci-fi authors who permit liberal non-commercial use of all of their books are Charles Stross and Corey Doctorow.

Abhishek @Abhishek, do you think you’ll be able to provide an audio stream on Astra 3B for all our new EU members for the Halloween broadcast of Orson Welles’ War of the Worlds? Ken

1 Like

I agree. But I think this has already been ruled out because of the lower bandwidth used in Europe?

Hopefully this is something that’ll be corrected soon.

As someone has previously mentioned, offering live satellite radio is strong positive in Othernet’s offering.

“War of the Worlds” (the version shared by @kenbarbi earlier) is now going out over both, the US and EU beams. Could you please listen and confirm? I plan to leave it up for the next 36 hours or so.

on the EU beam, it will pause after each cycle for an hour, to let receivers catch up with the file data.

1 Like

EU beam sounding great here in Northern Ireland!

R

1 Like

Great, thank you for letting me know!

Receiving it fine in Washington, DC. Happy 81st Anniversary of the first broadcast. Ken

1 Like

@Tysonpower How is the audio?

No Audio to listen in at the Moment. Maybe currently paused? Because i only see Datatype files.

Is it broadcast on the hour or at what start time? Ken

You might want to send this Wikipedia article out on Othernet The War of the Worlds (1938 radio drama) - Wikipedia

Ken