Weather Folders

I’m using Chrome. I Reopened a new session and the Globe comes up in the default mode with 2016-10-17 14:00 Local.

Now doesn’t change it. Clicking on the >> advances me to 2016-10-18 14:00 Local, and << moves me back as far as 2016-10-12 14:00 Local.

Now, I did the control shift R and got the 2016-10-21 14:00 Local display. I shut down Chrome and started it up again and the display came back to the current data screen. Clicking NOW always sends me back to 2016-10-21 14:00 Local

But using the << I can now only go back to 2016-10-18, and using the >> one time sends me to 2016-10-22 14:00 Local with a new data display, and hitting >> one more time sends me to 2016-10-23 with no data

Very curious - - I’m not sure what’s happened. I’ll take another look at tomorrow’s data tomorrow to see if my Lantern automatically updates and let you know. Ken

Abhishek, I’m still having the same problem. When I launch the weather app, it report weather for 21 Oct.

Clicking NOW make no change. Clicking the ahead button advances me to 22 Oct with animated data displayed (air currents are swirling), and clicking again brings me to 23 Oct with the previous data displayed, but not animated. Clicking NOW again brings me back to 21 Oct with animated data.

A manual CONTROL SHIFT R refreshes the page, but doesn’t change what is happening. All the data files (JSON and grib2) in RECENT are for 23 Oct.

Now, if I drill down the BROWSE tab

and go into the data file

and then into the WEATHER file

In 2016 I see

and in 10 I see tabs running from 13 to 26

In 22 I see data files

and all the JSONs are for 21 Oct

If I do likewise in 20, all the JSONs are for 17 Oct. In 14, all the JSONs are for 13 Oct. In 24, all the JSONs are for 23 Oct, and I don’t have a 25, but I have a 26 in which all the JSONs are for also for 23 Oct.

Going back up the file structure into CURRENT I just see the following JSONs all with 23 Oct data

So it appears I have data for 23 Oct downloaded and saved, but my app can’t display it. Ken

if you are the Washington DC balloon, it seems you don’t have a stable frame lock - the balloon is red. This might be the source of all the problems you are having with current weather data.

Could you also show me the Weather/grib2 folder? this the one that contains the source .grib2 files - the ones actually received over the satellite link. The json files are generated from the grib2 files.

It seems certain that you are not recieving all the weather files. specifically, for every date, you should have .grib2 files that say f000, f024, f048 and f072.

in this screenshot:

for example, I am missing the f072 file - which contains the predictions for 72 hours out from the date - the date is contained in the directory name - “gfs.2016102318” - so 23rd Oct, 2016. But as I did successfully recieve the f000 file, in my viewer click ‘now’ shows the 20161023 data, and I can also view the predictions for 24th (24 hours out, f024 file) and 25th (48 hours out, f048 file). but not 26th (72 hours out, f072 file, which is missing).

You looked at my red balloon when I had brought the Lantern inside for a bit to photograph the PATCH SMA connector. Here’s what I got:

and inside 23 Oct

I’m missing f000 on the 23 Oct stream. In fact, the last time I received all 4 grib2 files was 13 Oct. I’m either getting 1, 2 or 3 - - never all 4 since 13 Oct. I’m going to download my App file and search it for these gribs to see if they are coming down to me and at what times. Ken

I’m getting all the files. Give me your e mail and I’ll send you the log. Ken

I looked at the log. the only f000 files (the “current” files) you have received are

1b55-gfs.2016101318_gfs.t18z.pgrb2.1p00.f000.grib2.tbz2
63ea-gfs.2016101718_gfs.t18z.pgrb2.1p00.f000.grib2.tbz2
9bf2-gfs.2016102118_gfs.t18z.pgrb2.1p00.f000.grib2.tbz2

so 13th, 17th and 21st. That matches with the experience. I am not sure why that is. I did receive all of the f000 files, so I know that the sending side worked. The file for 23rd is actually still on the carousel, and I don’t know why you have not received it.

The 000 files are usually placed on the carousel just 5 minutes or so after midnight utc. That maps to about 7pm-ish your time, I think? I wonder if there is a regular disruption in the evening?

Though still, the file goes around the carousel multiple times, so you should still be receiving it.

OK

Midnight UTC will be 2000 here in DC (4 hours behind for EDT). So let me propose tonight I monitor my system at 2000 EDT till whenever. How long should expect it to take for all the 24 Oct files to come down?

Then see what I have in the morning for weather.

By the way, what is the CONTROL SHIFT R doing? Ken

the total data - all four grib2 files should take anywhere between 90-150 minutes.

Ctrl+Shft+R is just a browser command that forces your browser to bypass its cache; ctrl+r is “reload”, and ctrl+shft+R is “reload and get data afresh from server, don’t use cache”

Good - - I will keep an eye on my Lantern from 2000 to 2300 EDT (0000 - 0400 UTC) - - 180 minutes tonight, and see what is happening in that time frame.

I’ll let every body know in the morning. Ken

Abhishek, here’s a new problem that developed in my Alpha Lantern which may have explained my ability to download Weather Data recently.

My Lantern is reporting in (the green balloon over Washington), but I cannot access it thru the local WiFi it is on. It’s not an old image I’m looking at, because during my watch period, Seasalt’s balloon over the Philippines which was visible went away, but mine still persisted.

Using my.outernet.is, or going to its recently assigned IP address (192.168.1.12) with Chrome, Opera, or Firefox (with and without my Virus Program on) result in a site not found. Putty can’t access it either, and Advanced IP Scanner can’t find it. But it definitely is receiving data and is on line reporting back (see my comment below on re booting to prove this point).

The CHIP pilot light is lit, and the SDR is hot (as it always is), and the LNA and CHIP are warm, so they are working. The entire unit continues to draw 5 watts thru the USB wall wart. The Lantern has not reverted to the Hot Spot mode as Outernet is not visible on my WiFi selections (which of coarse makes no sense as it is reporting in).

I can regain access to the Lantern by powering off and then back on. Since my Lantern is now inside the house and apart, I can see the Librarian and the Outernet Status Report now shows me off the air

Surprise of surprises. On first look at my Weather App (in the Air mode), I automatically displayed weather for 2016-10-23 18:00 UTC. Using the >> button, I could move forward to 24, 25, 26, and 27 with animated graphics for 18:00 UTC. It is now 25 Oct 12:00 UTC! Using the >> cursor to go to Oct 28 continued the display of a non-animated 27 Oct weather report. In the Ocean mode, I get no data and my display locks up. Here’s what came down last night

I’m putting my Lantern back outside to look at I-4 Americas again. Please let me know what you would like me to look for next. Ken

It sounds like librarian might have crashed.

That is a problem as we have been pushing the boundaries of the CHIP H/W - pretty much out of RAM at this point.

One thing I ought to mention is that I noticed you seem to have a lot of files on it - old ones. That does increase the load on the system quite dramatically, and if it were about usability,I’d recommend you get rid of old files.

On the flip side, I really like your bug reports - and cause my own CHIPS tend to get clean-flashed very regularly, your data points are like gold for me. So I don’t want you to clean up your receiver. :wink:

But I guess, as the user, the choice is yours, I’d be remiss if I did not mention it. :slight_smile:

A major overhaul of Librarian is in the works, exactly to fix the problems that you have noticed. Due to that, work on the current version of librarian is stopped.

Due to your bug reports, I also noticed a problem with the ocean data, which I have now fixed. You should see new data today.

Interesting point about old files. They are all on my USB stick, so even though I received a new CHIP right before I left for Croatia, I plugged the stick back into the device. Good catch on the Weather App, I’ll take a look tomorrow to see the results.

Next time I have to do a restart, I’ll take the stick out and see what is really old, and let you know what I find. I guess it’s a good thing the Lantern can’t see large disk drives (such as my 1 TB Western Digital) that I used on my Lighthouse. Talk about old files there :relaxed: They date back to iniquity. Ken

By the way, is there any way to clean out the old data in my Application Log? It is huge now as it is getting written to twice a second. I presume it lives on the CHIP, not my USB stick. Ken

I am still having problems with the Weather App. When I select Ocean Currents now, I get thrown back from Oct 25 Surface data (which works) to Oct 10.

Ken

Hello @Abhishek

I’m still having problems downloading the Ocean Currents. I don’t get new data even though the Air is up to date.

Ken

ocean data is only rarely updated by NOAA. Officially the data is updated once a week, but till now I have not seen any changes in the data. Seems currents don’t really change that frequently.

OK then there is no problem. The Weather App works great on a day-to-day basis as far as I can see. Ken

I updated to RXOS version 3.1 five days ago, but I still do not see any signs of the weatherapp. I only receive the daily GRIP2 weatherfiles, still NOT the weatherapp. How often is the weatherapp sent by Outernet??

This is funny (or has anybody acted instead of responding to my post only ten hours ago)? This morning I noticed the weatherapp has been downloaded and is working now, really awesome!!!

Patience bro’, Patience! You never know what to expect. Remember Outernet was in Alpha for a long time, now maybe in Beta or close to it. Read Discussions every day to follow the trail.