What receiver models should compatibility with outrernet

What receiver models should compatibility with outrernet

Outernet uses a proprietary data delivery agent (yeah, I know, it’s not ideal, but that’s what we’ve got for now). The agent is available only for ARM architecture right now. You can find it on orx-install page. We are currently working on Raspberry-Pi-based build and the agent is compiled for Linux distributions that run on Pi (Raspbian and Arch ARM for now). I think it may actually run on any Linux with 3.x kernel on ARM, but I’m not sure.

USB receivers compatible with these distros should generally be fine, but we’re trying to get as many different receivers as possible and test them. Currently, PCTV 460e and Geniatech HDStar TV box are known to work. Note that PCTV now only sells 461e, which I am not able to confirm as working yet.

1 Like

Small update. I’ve just confirmed that PCTV 461e works on Arch ARM with installation of linux-raspberrypi-latest and linux-raspeberrypi-latest-headers packages.

1 Like

nice i have this Tevii S662 DVB-S2 Can i use outernet with this or no ?! http://www.tevii.com/products_s660_1.asp

We can’t confirm since we don’t have it, but I think it might. Let us know how it goes if you decide to try it so we can put it on list of hardware that works.

Question : Out where I live there are quite a few readily available used dishes from abandoned direct TV , etc satellite services. The dish/lnb combos end up in pawn shops, flea markets , and craigslist frequently. Has anyone tried to see if these will work? The dish/lnb can be had for anywhere from free to $40 ( if you look hard ) and dish tripods are abundant on the net. Seems a bit cheaper than buying a new dish/lnb and might make the entry point easier for some people.

Any thoughts?

As someone who has no idea about these matters aside from reading on the forums these past few weeks, i think you could find something that would work. The key is that there are different bands specified for dishes and LNB units. I believe the band the pillars use is Ku, but again no idea what that means. Perhaps someone with satellite knowledge would know better.
In a nutshell; you should be able to find at least a dish, if not an LNB that conforms to the standards required by the outernet project.

I’m having a hell of a time finding the receiver USB sticks. They are either like $100 or not available. Any suggestions/leads? As soon as I get one I can start experimenting with dishes.

I have seen them being listed for about $100 or not available as well… :smiley: Shipping can also be a chore, but i’m in canada.

The trick with satellite dishes is that you really need to pay attention to dish size and the type of LNB that goes on it. DirecTV and Dish Network use higher-powered satellites, so they can use smaller dishes at the customer end. In addition, their LNBs are circular polarization (either right-handed or left-handed), where regular satellites like Galaxy 19 use horizontal and vertical polarization.

What’s worse is that you typically can’t take a 3rd party LNB and attach it to a DirecTV or Dish Network satellite dish.

I would keep a lookout for satellite dishes with a standard 40mm mounting ring for an LNB. Regarding the USB receivers, there aren’t that many and the only source I could find one was to import off of eBay for $100+.

1 Like

Hi Delchi. I’m building an Outernet receiver at this time. I too have had problems getting a USB stick, but fortunately Hauppague’s New York office just confirmed to me (2 Dec 2014) they were available in the US from their USA website. Cost is $69 plus $9.73 UPS shipping or $78.73! How about that! Ken

1 Like

Wow that’s cheaper than in Europe!

Is that the WinTV-HVR-955Q: $79.- ?

No it’s not that device. It is a “TV Receiver for use in Europe” at the very bottom of the following page:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/webstore2/webstore-main_hardware.html

The PCTV 461e for $69. As I said, it only took a week to get after I ordered it.

As a side light, I also ordered a Geniatech HDStar from www.aliexpress.com and paid a few extra dollars to get UPS shipping rather than Hong Kong post, and got the thing last week after only a 7 day wait. Ken

We have a few USB tuners that will be available in our store starting next month for $35. Hoping to get the price down to $25 some time soonish. We’ll also be selling complete receivers that are fully assembled and configured. Still in beta, of course :wink:

Hi Syed,

Interested to hear you guys are looking to offer a sub $50 USB receiver. Any more news on the availability of the units and where on the site I’d go to order one. I’ve been using one of the low cost USB sticks for NOAA data reception but they are RTL2832U SDR sticks so only DVB-T. Will there be any low data rate transmissions that can be supported by these sticks at any point in the future? Any partnerships with LEO satellites? I’m interested in progressing a model whereby developing countries could build up weather monitoring coupled with data transmissions but I suspect the costs would suggest two separate systems anyway.
Keep up the good work.
Regards
Andy

BTW, are there more tech details about the Pillar system? Is it just the same sub-system with a dish for reception i.e. same demodulating unit?

I actually have 80 DVB-S USB tuners in stock, but we haven’t yet had a chance to list them on the site.

DVB-S rather than S2? What’s the impact of that?
How does that fare for achievable data rates? Would any of these sticks be able to support 20mbps (or 40mbps), QPSK 1/2 rate Viterbi?

I was being sloppy; they are S2 tuners. We will likely not ever deliver more than 5mbps on any given channel, as the processing power required for such computation would take us into a more expensive and power hungry class of SoC.