Where can I see the source code of Skylark?

Where can I see the source code of Skylark?

It’s not open source.

1 Like

When did that happen? I know some parts were closed source because of NDAs with the sat company but I thought the rest was open source.

Skylark has never been open source.
Some parts of rxOS was open source, but that was back when reception required a dish.

When using GPL code any of the FOSS code that is modified must be released as a pay-it-forward for the free use of FOSS code to start with; but any 100% in-house code including libs etc that are not derived from FOSS code can be kept locked up. So if Othernet is building from FOSS code without editing THAT code at all I understand them to be in compliance with at least the older GPL versions.

It is a question of copyright law and the license to use said software; the software license that the GNU Linux code is released under on one hand vs the use contract for code derived from the satellite company which is about as closed as it comes as is most code for military/aerospace software.

1 Like

(@Syed pls delete this if inappropriate or pm me and I will)
If there is a desire or at least no resistance form othernet or SES to someone implementing a clean-room implementation FOSS decoder lib for othernet stream, there was a defcon talk I ran across a few years ago. It talks about everything required to analyze the stream and convert it except turning the signal into the final files. That was L-band though. No idea if releasing such code would jive with the DMCA in the US, but elsewhere things like the development and release of the clean-room implimentation of DeCSS for reading DVDs can be hosted where it is legal to decode for personal use so it would probably follow that legal model. For a correct case by case answer to this question vs some internet person’s opinion you need to consult an IP attorney in your jurisdiction.

No problem with this at all. Have at it! Though the L-band demodulator is completely irrelevant for what we are currently doing.

1 Like

That’s not right!

The “uname -a” command uniquely displays a custom Linux kernel: “Linux othernet 4.10.6 …” The Linux Kernel is provided under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 only (GPL-2.0), as published by the Free Software Foundation ( Linux kernel licensing rules — The Linux Kernel documentation ). This source code must therefore be published. Otherwise it is a license violation and can be prosecuted. There are experts who specialize in GPL violations ( https://gpl-violations.org ,gpl-violations.org - Wikipedia ). This can be very expensive.

This of course also applies to the other open source products in Skylark, e.g. Busybox.

I can strongly recommend to publish the customized OpenSource products immediately!

@Robert,
From what I understand the firmware builder is a stock one shot FOSS firmware builder which is already source available and they add their closed source bits and scripts to make a custom ‘firmware’.
A link to the auto-builder website would suffice, it they are tweaking FOSS which is then released, installed on distributed hardware, or sold they need to release that source.
I recall Linksys, Nokia, and other manufacturers either release source for their mixed FOSS/closed devices or just link to a website. I recall one place in the 90s, to be difficult, exclusively offered to print at cost the modified source code but only for someone willing to visit the HQ in person.
The hardware is also not tivoized, we can very easily wipe or eject the firmware MMC and put whatever we want even if Othernet were to fold.

1 Like

@biketool Thanks for the info.

The fact is that skylark-dc-v5.7-1910300954.img.gz contains a lot of OpenSource software. A list of the software used is required. The license must be specified for each software. Furthermore, proof must be provided as to whether and how the software was adapted.

Where can I find this information?

@Robert I’ll get back to you on this tomorrow.

In addition to the Linux kernels, Skylark includes other OpenSource products, such as

I think a text file with a list of the software used and the license applied certainly can’t hurt. You can offer this file at the download link:

https://archive.othernet.is/Dreamcatcher3%20Skylark/

But I cannot say whether this is sufficient for a license check.

Here’s a list of all of the open source code we use in Skylark. The code from these projects is unchanged from what is available in the original repos.

https://archive.othernet.is/sources/

I think you still use OS.js?

Yes, that’s correct.

How much longer is OS.js be used?
It is not supported by older browsers.

I cannot find a list of the respective licenses of the software used. @Syed You claimed above that Skylark is not open source software. Now it turns out that large parts of it are open source. I cannot find any reference to closed source licenses.

Did I miss something or is everything OpenSource?

Syed,
Slightly off topic. Is a block diagram of the current Dream Catcher available to download?
Don

1 Like

There is definitely nothing formal. I can whip something up pretty quickly, though.

1 Like