Which are the places outernet will be available for use? mean in Plane, On Land, In Water or in Air

Can anyone has idea about this question

The goal is to create a globally-accessible information service. So definitely everywhere on land and sea, but I’m not sure about in the air.

The general rule about satellite reception is that it must be “line of sight” this means the signal does not bounce off any objects or go around corners and it cannot pass through anything including in many cases glass. So unless you are going to be riding on the roof or the wing of an aircraft, you will not be able to receive a satellite signal from the air so to speak. But it is a radio signal that travels from a transmitter aerial mounted on a satellite. Unless you were planning on receiving this signal and re-transmitting it via the Internet etc. Yes you could do this but you may need to ask for permission to do this?

That’s not 100% accurate. Other than being far, far away, satellites are just transmitters. It’s the frequency that has more of an impact on reception than the fact that it’s a satellite. For example, we operate on L-band; ~1500 MHz. Plastic and glass are RF transparent and should not impact the reception of the Outernet signal all that much. We have several customers who are receiving indoors, though a window (with direct view of the equatorial sky). If we had a high-power transmitter on VHF or UHF, it would be possible to receive indoors, due to the longer wavelength in those frequencies.

2 Likes

Planes routinely use L-band. Thing is, for example, Inmarsat, where Outernet is located, is uniquely tailored to accommodate small antennas. An aircraft at cruise is certainly a stable enough for a multi element patch antenna to receive just about anything on sat L-band.

My Inmarsat Fleetnet/Safetynet receiver and antenna are indoors, receiving Inmarsat at 1539MHz with no problem, even under a tile roof.

1 Like

@k5ted What happens when you try to receive/view Safetynet with the Outernet receiver? Do you still see a solid SNR in SDR#?

Using SDRPlay indoors, I get 35 to 45 on the scale with most of the carriers using the inmarsatdecoder software. It runs 24/7 on a Azulletech PC stick. I have attempted it with the Outernet receiver and can see the carrier and sometimes get a decode indoors. However, it will absolutely work outdoors, no problem.

Sir, will it be available in Bangladeshi sea? And sir, I am very new and know absolutely nothing about this technology.I wanted to implement outernet in the rasberry pi but heard that it no longer supports it. What I can do now? Another thing i have to know, what kind of information about weather i can get from the outernet? I mean what are the actual parameter? I am very new and just an undergrad student, yet don’t know core about this technology. Please suggest me something.

Can I use outernet using a pc and skystar 2 DVB s2 card?

1 Like

No

1 Like

How outernet is different from satellite internet?