Why Choose CHIP?

I’m using Raspberry Pi 3. CHIP is the other choice. Maybe more boards? I hear CHIP is a bit harder to get going. Should I order one? And try it? Or just stay with Pi? Plus and Minus, please?

I opted for the Alpha Lantern to work in Outernet’s L-Band world, because I wanted to run it thru its paces as a complete deliverable item you’d buy on Amazon

But, if I were to build something, I would opt for a Raspberry Pi3. The CHIP has less processing power than the Pi which is its biggest draw back. Besides, when you get tired of using the Pi in an L-Band configuration, there are many other things you can do with it. Ken

1 Like

Thanks for confirming my thinking. I’ll keep using my Pi for now.

I agree .

I started decoding Outernet on a quad core arm Orange pi. similar to a Raspberry Pi3. It was much faster than the CHIP.

Chip Pros.

$9.00 (amazing price.)
Great community.
Low Electrical Power. (Very Low)
WiFi Good connectivity Options.

CHIP Cons.

Not powerful enough. (When unzipping files unresponsive.)
Slow HTML updates etc.

CHIP was a good choice for the Kickstarter solution Outernet Pledged. But I think CHIP will hold Outernet back in the future.

I think very soon Outernet Library is going to need at least a quad core arm processor. Otherwise all the new code for the new Library features will take like 10 time longer to write because lack of CHIP CPU overhead will keep being bumped into.

We are definitely evaluating CPU options, while simultaneously reducing our resource requirements. Our goal is for the rxOS to eventually run flawlessly on a 500MHz processor, though we may end up with a quad-core in the medium term.

I’d like to see a BeagleBone variant.

That SoC is a little pricey for the performance it delivers.

We have new projects targeted to the new Teensy 3.6. Looks like a strong contender in my view.

Seems expensive. And not particularly powerful. We also need to run Linux on it and have a couple hundred MB of RAM.