Alphasat weak Signal / Satellite problem (Problem confirmed)

I agree with that. My RSSI is around -119 dBm with an SNR of >3dB.
He is getting 6dB more signal and has no SNR. So there must be noise or other disturbances.
Rotating the antenna should not matter, but it could be that at the frequency of the interference the
antenna is not that perfectly circular, and rotating it may affect the interference more than it affects the signal.

1 Like

@neil Thats very strange…i have a Signal but not much with a SNR of 2,5-3,5 db and RSSI of around -114.

@zoltan i would also like to log my signal levels, is there a plugin or something to do that automatically? Or even a API would be enough from Librarian. LTE should be no issue here in Germany because the only band near the Outernet Signal is 1,8ghz…thats away far enough i think :

Here is an screenshot of the spectrum around the Alphasat frequency. I used another RTL_SDR.com V3 and a LNA4ALL for that. You can see that there is only one strong Signal at 1546.35.

LNA4ALL is not good for you as that’s a wideband LNA, really easily blindend by EMI… Use the Outernet LNA and turn on the bias tee power in the RTL-SDR V3 dongle manually before starting SDR# (this way you can power the LNA from the rtl-sdr dongle)
Your spectrum plot looks like bunch of noise, at least I cannot identify any satellite carrier there…

See “Feature 2: Software Selectable Bias Tee” guide to turn bias tee on:
http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-blog-v-3-dongles-user-guide/

Can someone point me to a RNR logging script I can use … I did some one somewhere in the forums but I can’t find it now :frowning: (was it you Cecil @CRCasey who posted did that a couple of weeks ago? )
@zoltan I connected the antenna to the SDRPLay ( barefoot as it has no Bias T and things look “normal” , no extra noise etc ( but i can only see a “shadow” of the outernet signal ) The aero signals are just the same and I can decode the as usual
@pe1chl My RSSI is always around -113dB I have never seen much variance
@Tysonpower There is a python script running around that you just need to point at the correct IP address that wil record the data. I just can’t find it again! LOL!!! I was going to implement it this week anyway

wow… @neil can you please share a spectrum plot with us, preferably showing a marker on Outernet signal for SNR?

@Abhishek what is your best guess on a actual SNR logging procedure?

@Tysonpower Have a look & see what you can see around 1545118.5 with the setup & see of you can see the 3 peaks of the Aero signals
(you can decode them with jaero . the narrow one is 600baud & the wide ones are 1200 baud)
Just interested if you can see then with the LNA4ALL

also if I understood correctly you are not using external LNA just the internal LNA in SDRPlay? As my best guess it doesn’t have enough gain and proper NF for Outernet signal detection… can you try this with the outernet setup?

Yes that is 100% correct Zoltan

I will give it a go… I was actually trying not to shut down the CHIP for as long as possible LOL
(note - it is late her & I will be heading to bed soon, but I will try quickly now

1 Like

Hi,
With the Outernet LNA and the supplied v3 RTL-SDR ( with the Bias-T turned on ) I am seeing this with HDSDR
(note frequency calib & Smeter is not set for this SDR - that is prob your signal up at 1545980 )
You can see just “shadows” of signals - this is worse that the “barefoot” SDRplay

Also here is the Aero signals though it … I am getting mostly CRC errors when i try to decode it though this setup - may not be a fair test due to your narrow LNA though

I used the LNA4ALL only to look at the Signals that are around in the area xD
The Outernet receiver has the right LNA etc. :slight_smile:

@neil i used the outernet LNA on my Laptop some days ago and saw the strong signals of aero etc. But the Outernet Signal was there with around 8db SNR, if i can trust SDR#. Librarian displayed a SNR of 3db though.
But your Signal is even lower as mine in the waterfall.

I connected it to my PC again and thats my spectrum with Outernet LNA etc. and i only get around 2-3db SNR:

I think that little logging script was posted in the skylark upgrade topic. Take a look there.

-C

Challenge accepted! :wink:

[Skylark][outernet@skylark:~]$ uptime
 02:36:04 up 24 days,  2:28,  load average: 0.77, 0.79, 0.80

Oh btw, if you disconnect the SDR and reconnect it, just run this to get it back up and running: sudo /etc/init.d/S90sdr restart

1 Like

too late… I rebooted it to get the sdr working again last night before bed :frowning:

What is you latitude?
I still nave no signal this morning

@zoltan I really do feel that there is an antenna directional issue or something like that with the satellite, and that something is not pointing my way.
There is no way that the signal can drop that low & stay like that with nothing at all changing at my end. ( there may be some “local” noise maker that is desensitising the RX but I know it is nothing is my home )

Last time this happened ( about 2 weeks ago now) I took the cable out of the picture, powered the thing with the RAV battery and put it all outside and managed to get a lock on about 2.5dB of signal… Then all of a sudden it can “good” again and I put it back into the configuration I had it in before ( piece by piece, testing each time, and it was all good still … 7-8dB SNR It had been running OK like that and was always no less that 3dB sice the until last night when it has gone…
I gave in this morning and I have “fiddled” with the orientation of the antenna, but to no avail…
I am at 51 Degrees N & 1W here BTW

I have a Signal, but its not strong at all with 2-3 db SNR. I’m near Cologne, Germany.

regards, Manuel

What SNR is “normal” for you there in Cologne, do you know?

I realy dont know, but with my indoor Antenna i got up to 7,5 db SNR last week.
When the sat is working correctly, for some hours, i get around 4-5db SNR.

As you can see i am still using Librarian, is there a script to monitor the SNR and RSSI?

regards, Manuel

And I am back with with an snr of 5-6 dB :slight_smile:

So this is the spectrum now
I now believe I have a suspicion as to what may be happening, and it IS local
Stay tuned, as I try to prove it!

ok that would be interesting if any local signal is interfering with the L-Band. You are in GB right?
But i have to say that my Signal also jumped from 2,5-3 db SNR to 3,5-4,5db SNR without changing anything.

just a question: have you shielded your LNA? When i shielded it with aluminiumtape, the signal (RSSI) got worse ?! That is strange.
regards, Manuel