Alphasat weak Signal / Satellite problem (Problem confirmed)

Grafica de señal intervalo de 1 minuto.

Translation:

Signal graph interval of 1 minute.

hi
i am working in ocean going vessel can outernet provide intrernet for me in middle of the ocean?

1 Like

Yes you can get outernet on the ocean, but outernet is NOT Internet. You get News and informations but you cant browse at Google or something like that.

regards, Manuel

1 Like

Hello Tanaaf

Tyson is correct in the one-way operation of Outernet.

That said, I have used my Lantern terminal on large cruise ships and small yachts successfully with this caveat: The patch antenna has a 40 degree beam width which means if you operate at higher latitudes (say 20 degrees or higher), you just can’t lay the antenna down pointed at the sky and receive. You would have to tilt and point the antenna.

If you are on more or less a straight passage, you can leave it unattended once set up, but on smaller ships the herky jerky motion of the ship might cause you problems.

I had no issues on a recent Panama Canal passage on Oceania’s Regatta at latitudes less than 10 degrees.

By the way, the recently added news and weather content (even though one-way) are very impressive and useful. Ken

1 Like

Here are my SNR statistics for the past two days (31.1 and 1.2.17):

The mentioned wave form is still there, but the Signal was way better today. I think the Sat must be rotating or something like that to produce these waves. But it seems that the SNR is going down since 18 o’clock today. I hope it gets back up tomorrow :slight_smile:

My Stats on GoogleDrive

1 Like

The signal of Alphasat is low again, since yesterday (04.02.2017 ~12:20 UTC, Red marked area in the chart below).
In the moment it has recovered, after around 18h, but it is not stable.

@Syed is there any information from inmarsat yet?

My SNR stats

1 Like