Arch ARM ORx - issue installing TVHeadend

Hi all,
I’m new to this and decided to have a go at setting up the outernet receiver as a vacation something to do. I’ve started with Arch Linux / PCTV 461 as I initially thought 461 only ran on Arch but I might be mistaken. I’ll probably try raspbian after this.

I’ve run into a few issues with the script, but was able to run it fully (or at least generate the lock file post install) after some fiddling. I have been able to successfully receive content so it is working.

Anyway, here are the issues I ran into. I hope these are useful as a fresh perspective:

I started with Arch Linux 2014.06 image (the last sd version I could find) then ran pacman -Syu and rebooted.

I then ran the script, it stops at ondd (dies with /usr/sbin exists error).
Solution - wget this from outernet.is and pacman -U --force it.

reboot, rerun script.

tvheadend install fails (can’t run tvheadend makepkg as root/–asroot switch invalid) / install.log blank.
Solution : created user (with sudo but this might not be necessary), run and installed script excerpt, rebooted and logged back in as root.

install script finished.

Due to this and similar issues, we are working on an image file that will be used with SD cards. We released such images when we released last Beta release, but the image wasn’t good because of updated openSSL library that broke the receiver software. We’ll be fixing that and creating a new image soon.

Hello all - - I have finished installing the new Arch ARM ORx image on my Raspberry pi, and it works fine up to a point. When I install a new Geniatech HDStar just received on 23 Jan 2015, the TVHeadend recognizes it as Montage Technology DS3000 and allows me to go thru rest of the step up process using Galaxy 9 97.0 deg W with manual settings of - - Frequency: 12177000, Symbolrate: 23000000, Fec: 3/4, and Vert polarization. But I can’t Map the selected Outernet Service as the Geniatech is not seeing anything from the satellite.

I know the Geniatech is working fine since whwn connected to a computer running ProgDVB6 after setting the LNB operating frequency to 10750 MHz. I even get the Outernet transponder singal, but the ProgDVB6 can’t decode it. What do you think the problem could be with my Raspberry Pi setup? Ken

I’m surprised you’ve even got TVHeadend to see it. As far as I know, the decoder does not get recognized by the kernel so it won’t work. An engineer came up with a patch, but I haven’t had the chance to look at it yet. If you wish, you may try compiling the patched kernel yourself.

EDIT: we’ll eventually release a Raspbian image w/ Geniatech HDStar support, though I don’t have a date for it yet.

I also used the PCTV 461e (which just arrived today [26 Jan 2015] )on Arch ARM and it did not work.

Moving on, I the used the Raspbian Image you posted and it did not run the WiFi. I uploaded setap.sh into the Raspberry, but the WiFi never came up.

I went back to an ethernet connection with the Raspbian software and connected my Geniatech HDStar and the PCTV 461e on separate tests. Both worked well finding signals on 11,789 RRsat Global Network and 11,867 ABSCBN, but nothing on your data frequency of 12,177,000.

What do you think? None of the approved hardware works with any of the software you suggest using to do a proof of concept of Outernet. Ken

What exactly does ‘did not work’ mean? Does it tune in and then you don’t receive anything? Or is it not able to tune in at all? Or it doesn’t even list the device?

My Satellite System

• Using an 80cm Ku Offset Dish (Sadoun 80T)
  • Using an Invacom QPH-031 Quad Polar LNB
  • Connecting Geniatech HDStar TV Box or PCTV461e by 1 meter of coax to one of the Linear Polarity outputs of the Quad Polar LNB
  • Pointed at Galaxy 19 at 97.0 deg W from my location at Lat 76.475 deg W Long 39.013 deg N (Annapolis, Maryland, outside of Washington, DC). Indoor FTA receiver showed strong Outernet picture with Freq of 12,177,000, and symbolrate of 23,000,000

Results using Raspbian Image

• Installed Raspbian Image Orx-Raspbian-20141208 on 16 GB SD chip
      • Runs Librarian “v0.1b2” and HTS Tvheadend “Version 3.4 ~ wheezy”
      • DASHBOARD said I was running low on Disk space and had 362.15 MB free (Figure 1)
  • Connected Geniatech HDStar TV Box (referred to as Montage Technology DS3000 in image file)
      • Raspberry Pi Access Point Wi-Fi dongle did not operate. I used the ethernet plug connected to a separate Wi-Fi Router Bridge to get signal from base of Ku antenna and LNB
      • Called up TVHeadend and selected Montage Technology DS3000 to access Geniatech HDStar TV Box
      • Added mux for Galaxy 19 97.0 deg W and selected “Play” on Outernet transponder at bottom - the 12,177,000 Frequency (Figure 2)
      • Switched to Status Tab and watched as Geniatech stepped thru each transponder. Only received a 17 % signal on 11,789,000, 11,867,000, 11,874,000, 11,898,000, 11,936,000, and 11,991,000 (Figure 3), and nothing on the Outernet transponder 12,177,000 (Figure 4). Prior to getting these screens, my browser wanted to save a file, which I did.
  • Connected PCTV 461e (referred to as Montage M88DS3103 in Arch ARM Image File)
      • Raspberry Pi Access Point Wi-Fi dongle did not operate. I used the ethernet plug connected to a separate Wi-Fi Router Bridge to get signal from base of Ku antenna and LNB
      • Called up TVHeadend and did not see the PCTV 461e

Results using Arch ARM Image

• Installed Arch ARM Image Orx-ArchLinuxARM-20150106 on 8 GB SD chip
      • Runs Librarian “v0.1b2” and HTS Tvheadend “Build”
      • DASHBOARD said I had 10021.91MB free (Figure 5)
  • Connected PCTV 461e (referred to as Montage M88DS3103 in Arch ARM Image File)
      • Raspberry Pi Access Point Wi-Fi dongle operates now, but I used the ethernet plug connected to a separate Wi-Fi Router Bridge to get signal from base of Ku antenna and LNB
      • Called up TVHeadend and selected Montage M88DS3103 to access PCTV 461e
      • Added muxs for Galaxy 19 97.0 deg W and got no muxs. Had to manually add Outernet mux as Freq: 12,177,000, Symbolrate: 23,000,000, FEC: 3/4, Delivery System: SYS_DVBS, Constellation: QPSK, Polarization: Vertical, Satellite config: Default. Selected “Play” on Outernet transponder
      • Switched to Status Tab and watched as PCTV 461e got no signal on the manually added Outernet transponder 12,177,000. Prior to getting these screens, my browser wanted to save a file, which I did.
  • Connected Geniatech HDStar TV Box referred to as Montage Technology DS3000 in Image file
      • Raspberry Pi Access Point Wi-Fi dongle operates, but I used the ethernet plug connected to a separate Wi-Fi Router Bridge to get signal from base of Ku antenna and LNB
      • Called up TVHeadend and selected Montage Technology DS3000 to access Geniatech HDStar TV Box
      • Added mux for Galaxy 19 97.0 deg W and got no muxs. Had to manually add Outernet mux as Freq: 12,177,000, Symbolrate: 23,000,000, FEC: 3/4, Delivery System: SYS_DVBS, Constellation: QPSK, Polarization: Vertical, Satellite config: Default. Selected “Play” on Outernet transponder
      • Switched to Status Tab and watched as Geniatech HDStar TV Box got no signal on the manually added Outernet transponder 12,177,000. Prior to getting these screens, my browser wanted to save a file, which I did (Figure 6), and then it went away and looked similar to Figure 4.

Sorry the pictures didn’t post with Figure numbers, but they are in the correct order. Ken

Sorry I’m not responsive. I’ve had a family emergency and now I’m bit behind with work. I’ll check this tread in a few days when I expect to have more time.

Have you made any headway on solving this issue? Have not heard from you for awhile. Ken

Sorry not yet, and thanks for the reminder. I’m putting it on TODO list.

No - - I have made no headway, and was waiting for you to look into this issue. In the interim, I have received another suggestion from a person in Europe using Hotbird successfully about the need for me to use a USB powered hub to drive my DVB tuners which I have on ordered but not received yet. Nothing is working in either in the Arch ARM or the Raspbian image file implementation as I described in my long note. Ken

What version of Raspberry Pi are you using? And how do you power it? If possible, please tell me how many amps of electrical current is Pi receiving (usually noted on the power source).

Oh, and I should note that Geniatech still doesn’t work, even if it shows up in TVHeadend.

Thanks Branko. Now I understand why the Geniatech didn’t work with the Arch ARM ORx or Raspbian image. As to the other questions, I have been corresponding with Tjanos on the “Outernet Service on Galaxy 19 Non Existant” thread, and come to find I will need a USB hub to drive my PCTV 461e.

Currently, I am using a Raspberry Pi B+ from Canakit, and its wall wart is 5 volts dc 2.5 amps. In this mode, as you recall from my long note above, the PCTV 461e goes thru the entire setup process (using your Orx-ArchLinux ARM-20150106 on an 8 GB SD chip) without a hitch, but does not receive any signals even though my LNB ouput voltage is 12 vdc (and by the way works fine as an FTA receiver using ProgDvbNet6).

In my Outernet setup, do you think the USB hub is going to solve my problems? Thanks, Ken

USB hub has solved it for some. In my setup, I don’t use a powered hub, though. What I found is that B+ won’t work correctly if it lacks power of its own, so I have it on a 1A phone charger, and that works fine. However, symptoms are different when Pi itself lacks power: it won’t even boot. In your case, it boots, so I’d try the powered hub.

Also, if you have Windows, it would be worthwhile to use something like SichboPVR (free) to test your dish setup and make sure that you can acquire a lock.

1 Like