Blocking issues for an open enthusiast

Well that is somewhat reassuring. Are you definitively saying that the lanterns will not ship before the OTA upgrade path is actually implemented?

As someone who has bricked a few routers it’s not always a seamless process with an irregular power supply, but better than nothing I suppose. You just have to hope that the company will actually broadcast that final upgrade transmission…

I think it has been difinitively stated that nothing difinitive has been decided on the lanterns.

I think this is simply a matter of trust and business sense. There is nothing that can be done to difinitively guarantee that they will recieve their updates, the team can only do the best it can in any given circumstance.

1 Like

That’s kind of hilarious, considering I have spent the better of the last 15 years of my life contributing to free software projects. Now that I consider supporting (financially, instead of through my labor) another project, I’m being served 20-year old rationalizations of proprietary software.

I understand some funders require proprietary software, but I am being asked to be a funder here, and I am explaining why I am (politely, I think) refusing to participate.

I don’t need to convince anyone here that what they are doing is wrong. In fact, I think this is a great project. It’s just that I don’t want to support it, for the reasons I have mentionned above. The answers I have seen here so far confirm my position that the focus of this project is not as open as I understood it to be at first and I am happy of the clarification I have gotten.

Good luck with the project, fly high and bright!

PS: my mouse driver is free software. in fact, i don’t recall ever needing a proprietary driver for mice (except maybe for some touchpads, which are now pretty much all supported by free software). I don’t know about the mice, but we’re not talking about sponsoring a mice crowdfunding project right now, we’re talking about Outernet. if I would, I would do it because it would be an open hardware design, and there are a lot of good reasons to do that (think NSA’s interception tactics). but then again, if you’re fine with having proprietary everything.

I guess they can count you as a participant when they get there then, eh?

That’s obviously not the case. Libraian is GPLv3, for instance. Why does it (the project) need to be strictly classified either way?

1 Like

OTA updates are a requirement for Lantern. Fortunately, it’s a solved problem (or has been previously solved).

1 Like